So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

you have to take some stuff into account that you missed

1) Not all those results have been done @ Stock GT Clock Speeds of 600mhz
2) Nvidias 10% HVS optimizations in the GT Driver for Crysis (those are visual defective and spoil the fun)

so how you show it here is flawed

+1
This post hits the nail on the head

I have yet to see an 8800GT for less than $269. When ATI tried to expand the midrange price points with X800XL, their success was middlin' at best.

I agree on both points.

The fact is the 8800gt is 'supposed' to be $200-$250, granted it's questionable when it will. Hence I mentioned the cheapest price I found, somewhere around $240. You are correct the cheapest available parts are/(were?) around $269, which makes the point even more valid if they actually can pull the prices off at launch. It seems they will, as for once the overwhelming word is there will be mass availability.

I agree ATi would have trouble recruiting people to a higher price bracket with the part as they did the XL, but that was a different situation. The 6800GT was priced at $399 when the XL was $299. While the XL was an efficient choice for a 'performance' user, both were still above that threshold of the mainstream user as you mentioned, which I believe to be $200 (as mentioned along the lines of the GTO/GTO2/GS parts that were quite successful for doing what I believe RV670 will do.) None-the-less, that is not an option this time around because of the now, or rather supposed incoming prices of the 88gt. As it sits, RV670 looks to be coming to the x2600/8600gts bracket much longer before the GT, and I still think it will constitute the next higher-up performance for the lower-level bracket, as the afore-mentioned products are so terrible and even to this day a 8600gts sells for the price that the 256MB 3850 will sell for. I do not think Nvidia will pull this off with the 8800gt until it reaches ~$200, regardless if performance is better. I believe the 3800 series being less than $200 will cause a huge boom in the mainstream sector, and it will be a boon for AMD.

Could I be wrong? Sure, but those rumors of OEM sales cause me to believe the mainstream user looking for an upgrade will follow. I'll be damned if Joe Sixpack walks into a store and buys a ~$250 dx10 card over a ~<$200 dx10.1 card. I bet they print 10.1 in big-ass letters on every box. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
And what I'm hearing from some sources there is much headroom to push the price down even further without cutting into the margins like NV is already doing (and will be doing even more so with the 256MB GF8800GT).

What sources are these? Because unless they work at AMD and NVIDIA how would they know?

Everybody on the Internet knows that RV670 has a smaller die size than G92. But assuming thee 8800 GT is not a full G92, it's not exactly apples to apples.

And even if it were apples to apples it is still apples to oranges because ATI doesn't appear to have much in the way of high-end high-margin offerings right now and is not a profitable company.

When it comes to PC components MSRP (esp. launch-window MSRP) is no match for the all-powerful supply and demand.

What sources are these? Because unless they work at AMD and NVIDIA how would they know?

Everybody on the Internet knows that RV670 has a smaller die size than G92. But assuming thee 8800 GT is not a full G92, it's not exactly apples to apples.

And even if it were apples to apples it is still apples to oranges because ATI doesn't appear to have much in the way of high-end high-margin offerings right now and is not a profitable company.

It's hard for ATI to be a profitable company when they're not a company, but a part of AMD ;)
If I'm not mistaken, ATI's last quarter was already getting a lot closer to being profitable from where it was before.

Random thought that just smacked me in the head.

Next year is going to be an interesting year with the following possibilities.

Geforce 9800, 9600, 9500?

Radeon 4800, 4600, 4200?

Seriously...what the heck? :LOL:

Regards,
SB

Random thought that just smacked me in the head.

Next year is going to be an interesting year with the following possibilities.

Geforce 9800, 9600, 9500?

Radeon 4800, 4600, 4200?

Seriously...what the heck? :LOL:

Regards,
SB

And there's already GeForce 8500 and 7500 :oops:

Was this posted?

http://chiphell.com/viewthread.php?tid=11822&extra=page=1

HD3870: 775/2250MHz, power 105 W
HD3850: 670/1660MHz, power 95 W

Performance, as compared to 2900 XT, 3870 110% 3850 87%

So...

The HD3870 is 10% faster, and the 3850 is 13% slower? Couldn't they just say that? :???:

*edit*

Also, is there any word yet on whether the 3870 will be Crossfire-compatible with HD2900XT's? That's the kicker for me. If they are, then i'm getting one with my upgrade.

So mem bandwidth means nothing? I think I just go for a pro (yey!) then. How did they come up with the +10% and -13% anyway? A translation would rock.

So...

The HD3870 is 10% faster, and the 3850 is 13% slower? Couldn't they just say that? :???:

*edit*

Also, is there any word yet on whether the 3870 will be Crossfire-compatible with HD2900XT's? That's the kicker for me. If they are, then i'm getting one with my upgrade.

I'd REALLY doubt that as it's not just a simple die shrink. Although who knows, maybe there's a way for them to disable everything that was added or adjusted in Rv670 so that Crossfire would work, but I'm doubting it.

Regards,
SB

I can wish. I've been seriously considering going multicard for a while now, or getting a single really fantastic card. Since I don't care to switch to Nvidia and the 3870 on it's own isn't really a worthy upgrade over a 2900xt, Crossfiring the two would be a perfect bridge.

I'll just wait I think. Might upgrade everything else in the next week or so (since Intel and AMD are taking their sweet effing time to release any new 'wow' parts in the CPU market) and see what happens with these videocards.

I think I'm more interested in if you can crossfire a 3780 with r680 (dual rv670?) to give a tri-fire setup?

I think I'm more interested in if you can crossfire a 3780 with r680 (dual rv670?) to give a tri-fire setup?

LOL, somehow that's way, way down my personal list of things I'd like to know about "R680". However, I think that if R680 is indeed 2x RV670, your chances of "crossfiring" it with 3870 would be about as good as SLI'ing 7900 GTX with 7950 GX2. Not good, in other words.

So...

*edit*

So is that mean that Radeon HD3870 will perform exactly same - like good-old GF8800GTS-640MB "In every benchmark"
Edit: Or possibly might win against NEW GF8800GT in some benchmarks :) Example like 3DMark06

If so, ~$200 US dollars RV670XT will kill GF8800GTS sales and as well RadeonHD2900XT-512MB. (Interesting how well ATI-R6xx perform on 256bit memory bus instead 512bit.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great to see some benches comparing R580 to this card (or any RV670/680 based card) in F@H. But then it wouldn't be the marketing we've come to expect, would it. ;)
ask Mike Houston! he'd know!

(plus the R6x0 stuff isn't done yet.)

Back