So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

you have to take some stuff into account that you missed

1) Not all those results have been done @ Stock GT Clock Speeds of 600mhz
2) Nvidias 10% HVS optimizations in the GT Driver for Crysis (those are visual defective and spoil the fun)

so how you show it here is flawed

Last edited by a moderator:
¨

So 110% compared to the 2900 XT, 512 bit vs 256 bit bus. If true (even in higher res), can anyone tell me what the 512 bit bus was good for ?

Good question. I would not be surprised that in the bandwidth-limited corner cases RV670 will be beaten by R600.

¨

So 110% compared to the 2900 XT, 512 bit vs 256 bit bus. If true (even in higher res), can anyone tell me what the 512 bit bus was good for ?

Well somewhere down the development road ATI ran into the limits of 80nmHS and the faults in R600 did not help either. the whole Ringbus thing is questionable anyway.

¨

Remember that GF8800GTS with ~64bit memory bandwidth was not limited even when you over-clock it to beat GF8800GTX.

So 512bit memory was marketing in my believe. (512bit is for the future + for more powerful GPU to take advantage)

I don't know what came first, the newsbit or the forumpost, but here it goes:
Although AMD until November 19 can be released新一代RV670 graphics chips, but we have been informed that AMD has identified RV670 series, the Radeon HD 3000 series operating frequency and power consumption.

The HD 3870 Series Radeon graphics core / memory frequency is 775 MHz/2250MHz, TDP graphics power set at 105 W, contrast, AMD behalf Radeon HD 2900XT power consumption at 200 W above, Radeon HD 3870 graphics lower power consumption, should be attributed to TSMC advanced 55 nm process .

HD 3850 Series Radeon graphics core / memory frequency are 670/1660 MHz, TDP graphics power is 95 W, than Radeon HD 3870 further reduced.

In graphics performance, Radeon HD 3870 performance than the Radeon HD 2900XT performance higher than 10%, Radeon HD 3850 performance Radeon HD 2900XT 87%. If the media 3 DMARK06 test results to estimate, Radeon HD 3870 graphics 3 DMARK06 scores can be achieved 12789.7 points, Radeon HD 3850 graphics 3 DMARK06 score was 10115.49 points.

Link. They also have a nice graph.

I don't know what came first, the newsbit or the forumpost, but here it goes:

Link. They also have a nice graph.

Looks like that Radeon HD3870 with 2250MHz will give about ~71GB memory bandwidth. (I hope that ATI will use low GDDR4 CAS latacy to yield better for memory bandwidth)

Edit: Don't get it why 666 million transistors. Long time ago Intel changed Pentium processor from 666MHz to 667MHz CPU frequency so that it would not affect their sales on CPU's.

lol: "Is it really evil :devilish: :???:"

Here are my calculations based on the ATI slides

RV670XT = 12163 assumeing 10% better performance then HD2900XT
GF 8800 Ultra = 11978
RV670XT = 11623 ?? based on the ATI Slides
GF 8800GT = 11347
2900XT = 11058

Also i did some calculations about the AVG Performance in Crysis based on R600 vs R670 based on the latest Data released

HD3870: (GDDR4) 775/1200MHz , power 105 W 110%
HD2900XT: 740/825MHz, power 215 W 100%
HD3850: 670/828MHz, power 95 W 82%

in the AVG value it seems to me it can't be slower then the 8800 GT @ Stock 600mhz at least if you don't take the 10% win from Nvidias Driver Optimization into account :) how it's really gonna look we gonna see especialy the "Gameplay Feeling (Balance)" MIN/MAX stuff

I think it was one of the features in the DX10.1 document. Time for some more performance leaks soon I hope.

It's something AMD has supported since RV515/RV530/R580. It's the DX name for ATi's Fetch4.

Performance leaks? Don't expect G92 busting performance, but expect the HD3800 series to give you lots of bang for buck. It's gonna bring you performance comparable to HD2900XT but with a much lower powerconsumption (thanx to 55nm/Powerplay), more features (DX10.1/UVD) and at a much lower price. The RV670 die is more than 70% smaller than a G92. AMD is gonna be competing on price. It's gonna be the new RV570, but with a much smaller die and much better performance.

And what I'm hearing from some sources there is much headroom to push the price down even further without cutting into the margins like NV is already doing (and will be doing even more so with the 256MB GF8800GT).

It's something AMD has supported since RV515/RV530/R580. It's the DX name for ATi's Fetch4.

Performance leaks? Don't expect G92 busting performance, but expect the HD3800 series to give you lots of bang for buck. It's gonna bring you performance comparable to HD2900XT but with a much lower powerconsumption (thanx to 55nm/Powerplay), more features (DX10.1/UVD) and at a much lower price. The RV670 die is more than 70% smaller than a G92. AMD is gonna be competing on price. It's gonna be the new RV570, but with a much smaller die and much better performance.

And what I'm hearing from some sources there is much headroom to push the price down even further without cutting into the margins like NV is already doing (and will be doing even more so with the 256MB GF8800GT).

Wow, that sounds like a great news :smile:

I hope we will see high performance laptops with AMD/ATi RV670 come back this round. Also, with the 55nm chip, the Mobility FireGL top series will not be limited by RV630-635 anymore. As far as I found on the 3D-Professor, the AMD/ATi R6xx series is a monster workstation class VGA :devilish:

Q4 2007 looks rather interesting than I first expected.

You really forgot to mention all the Adaptive Power Functions (rumors say it can turn off all Parts that it does not (GPU) need so it should be Adaptive) it's Amazing for a Desktop GPU imho Ati Powerplay and it comes with a Dual-Slot cooler as a Bonus the Hd3870 :)

ATI RADEON™ HD 3870

666 million transistors on 55nm fabrication process
PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
256-bit GDDR4 memory interface
Ring Bus Memory Controller
Fully distributed design with 512-bit internal ring bus for memory reads and writes
Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support
Shader Model 4.1
32-bit floating point texture filtering
Indexed cube map arrays
Independent blend modes per render target
Pixel coverage sample masking
Read/write multi-sample surfaces with shaders
Gather4 texture fetching
Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
320 stream processing units

does that mean anything?

It's the DX10.1 name for Fetch4 that ATI had since.. R5x0 I think?

What are the prices that we are going to see? Presuming that its not going to beat the 8800GT in performance so im thinking more along the lines of $199~$249 for the HD3870?

Sounds quite good, but i dont think DX10.1 will really matter to most enthusiasts since i dont think the RV670 will pack enough horse power to do even use some of those features. (Judging from how 2900XT is faring in DX10 where it has hard time trying to beat a 320mb GTS)

Im looking forward to this. Wonder who will win the mid range market this time round. On one hand you have a card thats hot, single slot, faster compared to its competition that is cooler, less power hungry, single/dual slot, more features but not as fast.

I'm of the opinion that AMD chose lower than expected clocks to hit power/thermal limits for the OEM deals, but I'd be very interested to see what happens to the clocks when you enable Overdrive in the ATI drivers.

You really forgot to mention all the Adaptive Power Functions (rumors say it can turn off all Parts that it does not (GPU) need so it should be Adaptive) it's Amazing for a Desktop GPU imho Ati Powerplay and it comes with a Dual-Slot cooler as a Bonus the Hd3870 :)

It will also give blowjobs, handjobs and rescue kitties from trees. Cuz' ATi is just that cool. OMGWTFTEHSAUCE.

CJ, does it budge in any direction(with currently available drivers) in DX10 titles, compared to the 2900. Does it seem like they've actually improved anything significatn WRT their ALUs?Of course, I'll understand if you cannot go into such details:)

Rumor is that HD 3870 will be 200-230. Which could undercut 8800 GT by quite a bit. Although I'm expecting launch prices to be typically inflated as resellers try to cash in on "new card frenzy."

I'm also interested as to whether these rumored performance numbers as with or without AA. Is it 10% faster with no AA and much faster with AA? 10% faster with AA and slower without AA?

Or is it the same with and without AA showing no improvements to AA resolve?

Regards,
SB

Back