E3 Nintendo Conference Thread

OK, this'll make some great GIF material. Feintly ridiculous, really..

edit - oh yeah, I'm sure John got that body via Wii Fit.

What's the betting they'll have a full line of fitness apparel to go along with this?

I think it is very interesting. If it can accurately track your center of gravity, it could be a great combination with the wii mote for a Tekken style game. :)

Of course, they'll never release something hardcore enough, but hey, perhaps it will trickle down to something. I still like the idea. Also for surfing games, etc.

Basically it's the same as the wii-mote, but for your feet. Really not bad.

I've got to say, a lot of the material is dry... but I find myself nevertheless impressed. I can't deny the positive potential social and health effects of this system across a broad swath of the population - I think Nintendo's conference is almost more centered on communicating to the press that their march isn't just a fad, and... well, hey they're doing a decent job of it - even if a little boring.

I think I played that game on my eyetoy years ago. And it had full body mapping.

I don't mean to sound bad..but that was such a discouraging conference for me. And then it just ended.

Still, I have a hard time telling whether I liked this better or the Microsoft conference. At least there was something rather new here. I think the gameplay potential for the wii-feet and wii-mote combined is good, although right now they showed extremely little of it.

Unfortunately based on previous experiences I cannot trust Nintendo's platform to make good use of it, at least to suit my tastes, mind you! But maybe a third party will, let's hope so.

Dissapointing, as I though. All that wiifit/sports stuff is nice and all, but casuals arnt looking at E3, ''real'' gamers are and as far as that goes we basically only seen mariokart and even that wasnt exactly what I call great as it just seems to be a GC game with wii controlls bodged on, they didnt even bother to build a decent engine it seems.

Ya, at least there were some new unexpected reveals here. All completely uninteresting reveals to actual gamers, but new never the less.

I would still rank it lower than Microsoft's conference. Just because there was absolutely zero I saw in that conference for me to get excited about.

I love their strategy though. I think they are "right".

"Our primary target is much wider. There are 24 hours in every day, and only a small amount of time is available for leisure entertainment. Minute by minute, we intend to steal more of that time for videogames."

Dissapointing, as I though. All that wiifit/sports stuff is nice and all, but casuals arnt looking at E3, ''real'' gamers are and as far as that goes we basically only seen mariokart and even that wasnt exactly what I call great as it just seems to be a GC game with wii controlls bodged on, they didnt even bother to build a decent engine it seems.

I agree. The casuals don't even know about freaking E3.

Still, I have a hard time telling whether I liked this better or the Microsoft conference. At least there was something rather new here.

Rather new anyway. I mean, we've had rumors of Super Mario Kart a week before E3. It was almost disappointing that it came true.

Well, E3 2003 has a contender, I think

They said it was fun to keep track of all the application users's weight and stability... Fun...

I really expected that they'd introduce a Pacman VS. version playable with the new board controller, it would have sealed the deal quite fine. :p

Anyway, good to hear Mario Kart has been confirmed and that it's in an advanced stage.

Dissapointing. The only one real game that they have is Super Mario Galaxy, and they showed 20 sec video of it... :sleep:

Zapper, Wheel and Board are cool... I gues...

That head-bunting soccer mini-game looked fun I suppose, but hardly impressive and hardly anything we haven't seen done with an Eyetoy.

In fact, I'd argue that it's better done with something like the Eyetoy because at least that would track your actual head position, whereas the WiiFit board detecs your center of gravity and just move's the Mii's head appropriately regardless of where your head actually is in relation to the rest of your body.

I expected Health Pack but not a revival of Family Trainer. You can already do some exercise with a remote but it seems hardwares are very lucrative for Nintendo. (It suggests the rumor about Nintendo joining iPhone is very very unlikely)

Anyway, good to hear Mario Kart has been confirmed and that it's in an advanced stage.

Agreed, that was the best news from the conference, I think. I'm curious about the online comments, I wonder if it was just a "filler" comment to hide that they're not sure about how many players online will be available or a serious hint towards something... I hope something like 8+ racers, that'd be fantastic.

I thought this 1UP Blog play by play of the Nintendo conference was particularly hilarious :LOL: Only because it totally derails toward the end as the writer is getting more and more frustrated with Nintendo.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8253507&publicUserId=5875338

10:17
That was it. Sam Kennedy: "Oh my god."

I'm gonna go vomit in the bathroom. kthxbye

10:15
"This is Nintendo's moment to lead," says Reggie.

10:13
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON

MAKE IT END

If this is the end of the conference, the Internet might implode. Even Jeremy's upset and he's in the front row, right next to Reggie. That's some serious shit.

10:12
Reggie listed as overweight lols all around high five. "Muscle is heavier than fat," says Reggie.

10:09
We're now doing a body mass check on Reggie. It's currently measuring Reggie...

If you'd told me this is what Nintendo would be doing five years ago I'd have punched myself in the face.

Back