Too Human E3 '07 Trailer

Trailer starts off good, but man o man is the animation stiff near the end, I mean, that's supposed to be a fight???

Gfx look great though.

It looks like a future based God of War, but the graphics look poor. I've only seen one gameplay video though.

I really want to like it, since the concept sounds very cool. But watching that video just makes me cringe. The previous video was much better, so I still have some hope it'll all work out in the end. I guess it's a good thing they still have a lot of (much needed) time to polish everything. Late 2008 I hope. :)

It seems they're trying way too hard with the bullet-time effect, they really don't have to overuse it like that. The animation is rather stiff as well, the overall direction of that cutscene could have been much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems they're trying way too hard with the bullet-time effect, they really don't have to overuse it like that. The animation is rather stiff as well, the overall direction of that cutscene could have been much better.

The character art is just downright awful as well. You forgot that part.

So let me get this straight:

Xbox 360 System Selling Blockbuster?:

1. Bad/stiff animation
2. Awful character design/modelling/art design
3. Contrived gameplay scenarios
3a. Combat looks shitty (F*ing copy GOW, Ninja Gaiden, and/or Devil May Cry please!)
4. Cool Sci-Fi setting
5. Interesting concept ideas
6. Nice texture work, some nice lighting, good level modelling
7. Some pretty badass bosses.

I feel like if they went back to the drawing board once again with new character models, reworked combat system that closely mirrors one of the other similar-category games mentioned above, lose the awful 'tude, and completely rework the animation, they would have an interesting product.

As it is now, I wouldn't let this game into my house for fear of infestation, and possible zombification. Not even a rental at this point.

Is there a chance they will fix these? Gears of War didnt start all that brilliantly with its choppy framerate and "robotic" animation but at the end epic listened and made the game very smooth looking and the animation very life like

I'm very interested in the storyline, very philosophical.

Yet when you watch Heavenly Sword cinematics, and then these, it's almost cringe worthy.

The character art is just downright awful as well. You forgot that part.

So let me get this straight:

Xbox 360 System Selling Blockbuster?:

1. Bad/stiff animation
2. Awful character design/modelling/art design
3. Contrived gameplay scenarios
3a. Combat looks shitty (F*ing copy GOW, Ninja Gaiden, and/or Devil May Cry please!)
4. Cool Sci-Fi setting
5. Interesting concept ideas
6. Nice texture work, some nice lighting, good level modelling
7. Some pretty badass bosses.

I feel like if they went back to the drawing board once again with new character models, reworked combat system that closely mirrors one of the other similar-category games mentioned above, lose the awful 'tude, and completely rework the animation, they would have an interesting product.

As it is now, I wouldn't let this game into my house for fear of infestation, and possible zombification. Not even a rental at this point.

Well you missed a shitload of the *good things* about the game.

- Diablo style dungeon crawler in 3d with advanced fighting engine
- Deep and complex storyline based on norse mythology (wicked)
- 4 player online co-op, with 5 different classes of characters
- fully upgradeable characters, multiple skill paths. Characters are complementary for co-op play.
- big loot drops ala WOW

Hell I loved diablo, as far as I'm concerned the cut scene's could suck ass, this'll still be a wicked game as long as they nail the fighting engine.

But the cut-scenes don't suck ass, they are generally top of the class easily. The previous two we've seen were excellent, on terms of voice acting, body language and cinemetography.
1- http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/vid_1967127.html
2 - http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/vid_1964726.html

This latest trailer is weak in the fight choreography, and ya a pretty derivitive scene, but the opening sequence is still really cool, it just falls apart in the latter half.

I'm not worried about the cut-scenes or storytelling in this game, it's the gameplay that needs to be proven.

You guys are complaining about the Graphics!? No way. That Face Models are sick. The setting is somehting entirely new i'd say.
Cant wait to get my hands on this.

- fully upgradeable characters, multiple skill paths. Characters are complementary for co-op play.
- big loot drops ala WOW

Hell I loved diablo, as far as I'm concerned the cut scene's could suck ass, this'll still be a wicked game as long as they nail the fighting engine.

But the cut-scenes don't suck ass, they are generally top of the class easily. The previous two we've seen were excellent, on terms of voice acting, body language and cinemetography.

This latest trailer is weak in the fight choreography, and ya a pretty derivitive scene, but the opening sequence is still really cool, it just falls apart in the latter half.

I'm not worried about the cut-scenes or storytelling in this game, it's the gameplay that needs to be proven.

it was a summation. i'm sure if you dissect it, you could find about 1000 good things about it and maybe like only 900 bad things and then it would be like really good?

"the dudes loincloth looks hot" #997
"his eyes are brown, i love that" #586

plus none of the thing you mentioned make a game anything but a Diablo styel Role Playing Game ala WOW, which, as we all know, doesn't make a good game.
And I would never buy a game for OMG HUGE LOOT DROPS! WOO!

as a disclaimer to you, since you clearly want to love this game: I really want to love this game too.

It's just right now, it feels like loving a 12 year old choire boy. A lot of work for what really amounts to a sh*t show.

it was a summation. i'm sure if you dissect it, you could find about 1000 good things about it and maybe like only 900 bad things and then it would be like really good?

"the dudes loincloth looks hot" #997
"his eyes are brown, i love that" #586

No it was a totally negative summation is what it was. Which missed out on, or totally glossing over some of the coolest aspects of the game.

plus none of the thing you mentioned make a game anything but a Diablo styel Role Playing Game ala WOW, which, as we all know, doesn't make a good game.
And I would never buy a game for OMG HUGE LOOT DROPS! WOO!

I would argue the story alone makes it more than just a Diablo clone, Silicon Knights is know for their great storytelling.

Also, the loot drops illustrate one of the coolest aspects of the game, with is the multiplayer co-op, I'm assuming you'll need multiple people to score the best items. They also illustrate a more open-ended nature to the gameplay, which is great.

If you ignore that, you're ignoring a huge chunk of innovation, and development time that went into the different character classes, balancing etc.

With that said, I'll admit I'm biased when it comes to this game, since I'm in love with the concept. Still, SK is not getting the respect they deserve given their pedigree.

- big loot drops ala WOW

I'm sorry Scooby but I will have to disagree.

Having a bunch of listed features doesn't necessarily equate to a good game, that's just what every game does on the back of the box, it's the execution of those features and they still haven't managed to show a good combat system, or a good variety of enemies, or interesting boss battles. Turning something into a multiplayer dungeon hack doesn't automatically makes it good, even if they call it "diablo-esque".

This isn't diablo, and SK didn't make diablo, heck this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with diablo aside from the name-drop. Cutscenes being bad doesn't equate to nailing the fighting engine, you can have great cutscenes AND a good fighting engine, on the other hand the cutscenes can be garbage AND the fighting engine can be garbage, last year the fighting engine was horrible, my question is how much improvement have they made to it since they've tried to move away from the highly competitive, pure action genre that DMC, God of War and Ninja Gaiden inhabit, and instead tried to portray this game now as a "diablo"-style game, and whether they've made this right stick melee thing work at all. Konami tried to put in "RPG-style" weapon-drops and character growth via the innocent devil system in Castlevania Curse of Darkness and tried to make it look more like a dungeon hack, neither of which saved it from being a crappy game, nor was it enough to distract people from the fact that the combat system was sub-par.

Are you kidding? No offense intended but top of WHAT class exactly? There are plenty of better cutscenes out there, with better facial expressions and voice-acting that shows better emotions when it comes to both variety and nuance.

The latest trailer fell apart right after they showed the crow, the fight choreography was horrible, the slow-mo effect was badly used. They seriously need to hire someone like Yoji Shimamura or Donny Yen to direct the fight choreography. I'm still not sure how the storytelling is somehow guaranteed to be good aside from having these high concepts being tossed around.

I agree that they need to prove that the gameplay is at least decent, which means they need to show gameplay instead of another trailer like this, because the trailer just didn't do it for me, I downloaded it off xbl, watched it and immediated deleted it off the hard drive, the Halo 3 trailer was WAY more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry Scooby but I will have to disagree.

Having a bunch of listed features doesn't necessarily equate to a good game, that's just what every game does on the back of the box, it's the execution of those features and they still haven't managed to show a good combat system, or a good variety of enemies, or interesting boss battles. Turning something into a multiplayer dungeon hack doesn't automatically makes it good, even if they call it "diablo-esque".

It's not a list of features on the back of the box, it's promising aspects about the game IMO.

And I know it does not automatically make a game good, but you name me one BAD game Silicon Knights has ever put out. Like I say, no respect for their pedigree.

Are you kidding? No offense intended but top of WHAT class exactly? There are plenty of better cutscenes out there, with better facial expressions and voice-acting that shows better emotions when it comes to both variety and nuance.

Every 360 game released for starters. I haven't seen any cutscenes anywhere near this level (latest trailer notwithstanding) they have excellent voice acting, lip synching and realtime facial expressions.

Im going to keep my eye on this one. It looks good to me, both in art and gameplay. The setting has me very interested, and if they can get the co-op right, along with a little polish it may turn into a must buy.

Mm... yea, me too. I'm interested in the Diablo-esque gameplay and the co-op. I want something different from a straight up shooter or close-combat, something with a healthy balance of both with RPG elements.

Is the camera going to zoom out for multiple players on the same console :?:

As for the E3 video...

Not so great things:
The director needs to chill on the John Woo slow motion. It just seemed way over the top and cliche. As he fired those pistols, the camera was somewhat lifeless and flat too. For such a rapid fire weapon, some motion blur with quick camera movements would have been nice....

Animations were 'ok', but there was a certain stiffness like there wasn't enough key frames for the characters.... I'm thinking it's somehow tied to the framerate. They're not actually terrible animations, and the artists have got the blinking eyes and such, but overall it didn't seem "fluid" enough. I think it would benefit greatly from a higher framerate - more interpolated frames per second.
Good things:
Throughout, there was a good amount of finer details. One of the things that did catch my eye was the movement/swaying of the cloak inside the bar, particularly the hood. A fine and subtle detail. The lighting and shadowing is quite good, and the weather/snow/clouds also. It really felt like a storm outside in the middle of night with the low hills and the darkened village buildings and the ominous "Halo Library-esque" structure. The bar brings me back to that sort of dystopian future you'd see in Blade Runner. Character detail seemed fine... but the lighting interaction made it seem a bit too clay-like at times.​

Back