Promised DVD-playing Wii - gone with wind?

Was supposed to be here this summer. It's not even been announced yet..

Anyone got word on what's going on over in the land of the risign sun?
epeace.

Was supposed to be here this summer. It's not even been announced yet..

Anyone got word on what's going on over in the land of the risign sun?
epeace.

At least wait another hour for the Nintendo E3 Press Conference?

Might not be presented there of course but seems kinda early to ask where something is.

There was supposed to come out one in Japan, but seriously, who cares? you can buy a stand alone player for 25bucks not to mention most people have like 3 dvd players in the house already. I dont really see a reason why you desperatly would want one in your Wii.

Given the ridiculous sales of Wii, it's pretty clear they don't need a DVD player to increase demand. They probably scrapped the whole idea once they discovered they couldn't keep the darn things in stock.

I really like the idea of a DVD channel for Wii. It'd be really neat I think.

Nevermind that people might have stationary players etc. If Wii could easily play back DVDs people could scrap one space and power-consuming box from the stack of consumer electronics kept near the TV.

Wii is small and neat looking and component output is excellent. With the wand as remote DVD playback would be a breeze.

Peace.

if you're chipped then there is a Game Cube DVD player written for the wii.

Is that true? If so then it once and for all proves that Wii can play DVDs. Some people have said that is has purposely been borked to prevent that.

When I tell most people that the Wii doesn't play DVDs, most of them are a little disappointed and mystified.
Yes, most people already have one or two DVD playing devices, but most of them are in laptops or PS2s that aren't really that well suited for leisurely playback from the couch. The Wii could probably be the most user friendly DVD player ever (and a good CD player for that matter) if it was given a chance. Plus it's multifunctional and small.
It really would be a "crime" if Nintendo doesn't release a DVD playing channel soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people have said that is has purposely been borked to prevent that.
Game discs are DVDs. So how could it be purposely borked to read video DVDs? :cool:

Of course it can read them. Besides it's got far more processing power than needed to decode and show MPEG2 video/DD audio. You can run a software player comfortably on a 400MHz Pentium2 PC and Wii is much faster than that.

Peace.

Nintendo would have to pay for a license to use the technology, which they skipped last gen and apparently don't want to do this gen.

Back