New Resident Evil 5 trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
That guy isn't even that huge... Have you seen the dudes in Gears of War :LOL: Marcus is 2x bigger and Cole is 3x bigger than R5 Chris. :smile:

image003.jpg

That is a SF type in the field.

Chris doesn't look too weird to me.

Making a huge deal out of a scene from one trailer in a game that's based in an area that has--to the shock of no one--people who predominantly share some features.

How come it's perfectly fine to wipe out everyone in an office building, in a city, in various villages, when they're pretty much all of a DIFFERENT stock? How many games where "teh enemy" is the Germans, or the Russians, or the North Koreans, or what have you, where "teh enemy" will--to the shock of no one--be people who predominantly share the same ancestry? Germans: OK, Russians: OK, North Koreans: well, maybe we're not so sure now... And an African village should create a shitstorm and lodge comments of racism? Hell, it's only ONE TRAILER, and not even taking a look at ANY context or any real simpling of the whole game.

I wonder what complaints they might have about the movie Blade, where it's a black guy wiping out predominantly lily-white Eurostock vampires? I think there were some-a-dem Asians there too, eh? I'm sure there were some "tokens" in there, but not in the trailers, eh? And trailers--or a short action clip--should be all that's really needed to judge, right?

The RE "evil" is the same "evil" that has been following them through the whole lineage of games. The "good guy" is a face we've seen before, and--ZOMG!--happens to be white. Charges like this should really only be levied if it's there, and they have absolutely no clue right now; until then, it's just skin-deep illogical paranoia that doesn't really help what they're trying to counter, as far as society goes. Backbones. Need to be grown, they do.

Otherwise, all they're doing is saying "oh no, you can't take the exact same thing you've been doing in a dozen games for the past decade in THIS setting...! That'll be racist!" which comes across as... well... silly. In what serious light do they actually want us to take their objections?

Making a huge deal out of a scene from one trailer in a game that's based in an area that has--to the shock of no one--people who predominantly share some features.

How come it's perfectly fine to wipe out everyone in an office building, in a city, in various villages, when they're pretty much all of a DIFFERENT stock? How many games where "teh enemy" is the Germans, or the Russians, or the North Koreans, or what have you, where "teh enemy" will--to the shock of no one--be people who predominantly share the same ancestry? Germans: OK, Russians: OK, North Koreans: well, maybe we're not so sure now... And an African village should create a shitstorm and lodge comments of racism? Hell, it's only ONE TRAILER, and not even taking a look at ANY context or any real simpling of the whole game.

I wonder what complaints they might have about the movie Blade, where it's a black guy wiping out predominantly lily-white Eurostock vampires? I think there were some-a-dem Asians there too, eh? I'm sure there were some "tokens" in there, but not in the trailers, eh? And trailers--or a short action clip--should be all that's really needed to judge, right?

The RE "evil" is the same "evil" that has been following them through the whole lineage of games. The "good guy" is a face we've seen before, and--ZOMG!--happens to be white. Charges like this should really only be levied if it's there, and they have absolutely no clue right now; until then, it's just skin-deep illogical paranoia that doesn't really help what they're trying to counter, as far as society goes. Backbones. Need to be grown, they do.

Otherwise, all they're doing is saying "oh no, you can't take the exact same thing you've been doing in a dozen games for the past decade in THIS setting...! That'll be racist!" which comes across as... well... silly. In what serious light do they actually want us to take their objections?

Very, very well said. People in general are afraid of being called racist and are so sensitive to oppression or killing of clusters of African people that pointing fingers become a routine when a game or a movie like RE5 is presented.

I mean COME ON, a strain of virus was found in a spanish/european village, how much different is that from a strain of virus found in Africa. That even makes more sense... considering the remnants of the evil corporation of umbrella would want their experiments to be excluded and what better people to take advantage of than populations suffering from extreme poverty?

Very, very well said. People in general are afraid of being called racist and are so sensitive to oppression or killing of clusters of African people that pointing fingers become a routine when a game or a movie like RE5 is presented.

I mean COME ON, a strain of virus was found in a spanish/european village, how much different is that from a strain of virus found in Africa. That even makes more sense... considering the remnants of the evil corporation of umbrella would want their experiments to be excluded and what better people to take advantage of than populations suffering from extreme poverty?
Its different because that was European pointing his gun at other Europeans (Spain RE4).

All this noise is mainly because of the imagery of a white man pointing his gun at blacks in what looks like an impoverished Village in Africa. Such images are taboo and a sensitive issue. Because they remind people of things that actually happened not too long ago.

Just to put things in perspective, if you made a game about a European (German) guy who travels to Israel, discovers everyone there is infected with a virus. And in the process wipes out thousands of Israelis. That game would surely be labelled Anti-Semitic and never see light of day. Because it is a sensitive issue to most people. I also have doubts about games with Arab extremists killing and blowing up people in New York, would ever be allowed.

So I think designers should be cautious of such sensitivities and avoid offending people. In the end everyone is happy that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the flak is because the people in the video don't look like normal black people, they look more like the stereotypical "coons" of old(bulging eyes, big lips, and big ears), and in those times media was use to push agendas

but there is a topic discussing that already and I come to read about the game not read everyones opinion on everyone else

Its different because that was European pointing his gun at other Europeans (Spain RE4).

All this noise is mainly because of the imagery of a white man pointing his gun at blacks in what looks like an impoverished Village in Africa. Such images are taboo and a sensitive issue. Because they remind people of things that actually happened not too long ago.

Just to put things in perspective, if you made a game about a European (German) guy who travels to Israel, discovers everyone there is infected with a virus. And in the process wipes out thousands of Israelis. That game would surely be labelled Anti-Semitic and never see light of day. Because it is a sensitive issue to most people. I also have doubts about games with Arab extremists killing and blowing up people in New York, would ever be allowed.

So I think designers should be cautious of such sensitivities and avoid offending people. In the end everyone is happy that way.
Nah it was American vs Europeans actually

Both your cases are much more specific, both in ethnicity and geographic location. RE's case involves nothing more than skin tone, and "somewhere in Africa."

Are they honestly saying it'd be perfectly fine and no touch of racism so long as the one doing the wiping-out was also black? Or was asian? But if it's WHITE, well then...! Or if there were a few token "not black" people among the victims?

As for the art direction of the citizens themselves... It may make some squeamish or appear blatant, but it looks to be a fairly off-the-beaten-path village, which means less racial mingling and merging of features. It's certainly not "blackface."

Regardless, I rather imagine the whole game to have a wide variety of settings and villains. To make a mountain out of a trailer would be foolish.

Both your cases are much more specific, both in ethnicity and geographic location. RE's case involves nothing more than skin tone, and "somewhere in Africa."

Are they honestly saying it'd be perfectly fine and no touch of racism so long as the one doing the wiping-out was also black? Or was asian? But if it's WHITE, well then...! Or if there were a few token "not black" people among the victims?

As for the art direction of the citizens themselves... It may make some squeamish or appear blatant, but it looks to be a fairly off-the-beaten-path village, which means less racial mingling and merging of features. It's certainly not "blackface."

Regardless, I rather imagine the whole game to have a wide variety of settings and villains. To make a mountain out of a trailer would be foolish.

It's still too early to give judgement since we don't know the full story, location and context of the game yet. We don't know much apart from the trailer and the fact that they aren't zombies, so we can't say for fact whether my analogies are in any way more specific in terms of skin tone or geography.

I simply said that certain types of imagery still provoke sensitivities in large numbers of people - particularly in the setting of what looks like a tribal village somewhere in Africa. Much in the same way victims of war probably never recover from Post-traumatic disorders.

It still looks like a great game, I'll definitely get it. But I can understand why certain people may feel offended. And I feel its bad to tell such people that they shouldn't be, when they do.

I can see how it might make some people sensitive. I just think they have to channel their complaints appropriately and in some way that makes sense. RE5, thematically, seems to fit in quite squarely with everything else they've done so far, but in this case they've picked a setting not often seen in games, aaaaand... that's about it.

If they don't think that playing a game where you cast spells will make people think they can do magic, or beat up cops and break the law will make them instantly run out and become gangsters... why would they think that something that they can see has the barest connection to "racism" would immediately evoke that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back