New Resident Evil 5 trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they don't exaggarate the effect just so they can mask some load times or something like that, like the opening of doors in the old RE games.
In real life it doesn't take that long to adust your eyes from light to dark. I don't think the time for eyes to adjust can even be counted in seconds, so for gameplay it would have little effect if done realistically.
Actually it can take quite a long time and could affect gameplay nicely.
http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studentdownloads/DEA350notes/Lighting/visionnotes.html
Dark adaptation - moving from light into dark. Slow. May be temporarily blind but gradually recover some vision. 25 minutes - 80% adaptation. 60 minutes - 100% adaptation.
In addition to this I would love to see proper color reduction with image and temporal blurring when in dark. :D

The game is not expected until late 2008 or 2009... so maybe this video is some CGI and not based on capcom's engine...
It's funny, due to the venue, it looks a lot like SCDA to me.

This game will be amazing if it can improve on the RE4 formula a bit, but not serve up any big changes. I want something like SC1 to SC:Chaos Theory rather than SC1 to Double Agent.

It seem like the majority of the "human" enemies in RE5 will be Black people. Expect to see the NAACP, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson scream racism and comming after Capcom ass:LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, but I can't help but think that tons of people are going to call RE5 a racist game:LOL: :LOL:

It seem like the majority of the "human" enemies in RE5 will be Black people. Expect to see the NAACP, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson scream racism and comming after Capcom ass:LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, but I can't help but think that tons of people are going to call RE5 a racist game:LOL: :LOL:

Has anyone ever made that stick on an Asian entity?

That would be stupid if it happens. Nobody complained about Resi4 for using Spanish villagers as the bad guys

That would be stupid if it happens. Nobody complained about Resi4 for using Spanish villagers as the bad guys

Yeah, but you have to remember, the villagers in RE4 are Spanish people/Spaniard and Spaniards are consider White, so it isn't an issue, but, if a game where a "white" guy "killing" other "minorities" then it is going to be a BIG issue. See, in RE5, you Chris Redfield a "White" guy killing a bunch of crazy people who's happen to be Black:rolleyes: . It's a stupid racism double standard that still exist.

Sorry for going off-topic but, I can see comming, it's so obvious, people are going to lable RE5 as a racist game. Expect to see a lawsuit against Capcom for this. I can see several things happen.

1. Forcing Capcom to replace the Black villagers with White one:rolleyes: , and completely changes the games setting.

2. Ban the game altogether

Number two is most likely going to happen, and let not forgett that people and companies nowadays are being sue for stupid reason. Remember the case of "the church vs sony" over Fall of Man? Don't be surprise if you're going to see the case of "Capcom vs NAACP/Jesse Jackson/Sharpton" over RE5 sometime in the future.

End my pointless rant

Yeah, but you have to remember, the villagers in RE4 are Spanish people/Spaniard and Spaniards are consider White, so it isn't an issue, but, if a game where a "white" guy "killing" other "minorities" then it is going to be a BIG issue. See, in RE5, you Chris Redfield a "White" guy killing a bunch of crazy people who's happen to be Black:rolleyes: . It's a stupid racism double standard that still exist.

Sorry for going off-topic but, I can see comming, it's so obvious, people are going to lable RE5 as a racist game. Expect to see a lawsuit against Capcom for this. I can see several things happen.

1. Forcing Capcom to replace the Black villagers with White one:rolleyes: , and completely changes the games setting.

2. Ban the game altogether

Number two is most likely going to happen, and let not forgett that people and companies nowadays are being sue for stupid reason. Remember the case of "the church vs sony" over Fall of Man? Don't be surprise if you're going to see the case of "Capcom vs NAACP/Jesse Jackson/Sharpton" over RE5 sometime in the future.

End my pointless rant

Oh but killing off white people is cool? Guess we should tell Rockstar to remove all the hispanic (NOT white) and black gangs from their GTA games. The italians are going to ban "the darkness", "godfather", and every other mafioso game (before they hunt down the collection of movies). The black community is going to ban American History X, Malcom X, heck even Fight Club (i think a black guy or 2 got beat up there). :D Hell, we should just erase all content that singles out one racial group over another, until all peoples depicted are multi-colored collages. Then we'll kill all of them off too, and you will have a new topic to post about. I think Uncle Tom's Cabin is a horrendous piece of racist propoganda too guys. You're not alone.

Heck, by that logic, Free Speech (remember that guy) is pretty much non-existent. Theres a difference between protecting minorities (and caucasians are going to be there soon in this country) or ethnic groups, and just being freakin stupid about it. How is the depiction of zombified villagers in Africa affecting the NAACP's movements? I'm friends with the NAACP head lawyer's son, and even he would tell you that you were being retarded, and then would argue for a day straight about prevalent racism in the North.

Anyways, I very much doubt that the NAACP is going to go after Capcom for its depection of violent black people, because they'd only have to go to Compton to get confirmation that its really true ! ZING!

Have you forgotten the fuss over LocoRoco?? I certainly don't think there'll be an uproar as PSman says, but I wouldn't be surprised if some idiots complained. If a mojo can be a symbol of racism to some folk, black zombies against a white hero certainly is!

pakotlar, the whole race issue(especially between White and Black) is still a sensitive issue in America. Shifty is most correct, maybe I am over exaggerating things, but, just don't be surprise if people complain and it reaches the news.

Of course you are both correct in saying that racism is a sensitive topic. Now this should be the last post on the subject as we are getting OT, but feel free to PM me about it.

The Race Issue, as it relates to America, is very different from what we are talking about with regards to Resident Evil. I would be strictly against any game that made light of the slave trade, slavery in America, indentured servitism, or any variation on the motif with malicious intent against the black population (One of the reasons Chapelle show was ok was the lack of that malice). Same goes for Civil Rights movement, violence against blacks during those periods of time, etc.

What is being portrayed in this game is clearly different. You guys are not alone in your thoughts. However, the danger with thinking like this is that it associates a single action, issue, topic with a wide range of materials that make some mention or depiction of those sensitive issues out of the context in which they were originally displayed and chargrined.

An example of this would be associating the attorcities commited [in those times]leading up to the end of the Civil Rights movement, with a game that portrays violence against black zombies in a village of Africa. The former is a sad time for America because of violence against black Americans, but the latter is a piece of fiction, with absolutely no connection to the former, despite the fact that "violence" and "black people" are both included in the material. This is the reason why showing a white guy shooting a black guy on TV is ok within bounds. The intent of the material can make the difference between something that is "racist" and "entertainment".

You know the NAACP isn't going to do anything, because they will be first in line to play this game, just like all the black kids I know :D

The reason we can have books, shows, movies, and videogames where race is taken light of, made fun of, ignored, is because of these concepts. Intent and Context.

I seriously hope you wouldn't start going after everything that touches on sensitivities of one group or another, because most entertainment would go out the window. Yes, the [black American] race issue is the most vocal one in America today. But don't ever forget it is not the only one. Heck, I'm part of the group of Zombie lovers, and I demand RE5 canned and be turned into the Telletubies.

edit: PSman, i just clicked on your link. It backs up what I wrote I think. Read Rockstar's response, and think about why GTA was not canned over this.

BTW, I'm Russian, and think it's pretty cool that a Russian guy is this big time street thug in GTA4. I mean if I were to get very sensitive and think about all the ways in which this could be offensive, I could probably get upset and outraged and cry "ROCKSTAR U MOSNSTERS", but when you realize this is a fiction and a videogame, it becomes ok. There was a time when being Russian in this country would bring you a lot of malice too, remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't even be that hard for them to pull an angle that is sympathetic to the villagers. RE has been about corporations that end up releasing a virus into the population. This one could be an installation run by whatever group it is now, that ended up releasing the virus into the local population (either on purpose or on accident). This brings out the whole "corporations go into Africa and bleed them dry" thing.

I wonder if former-Umbrella people have anything to do with the game's plot.

We see Chris, we know that Chris has a personal vendetta with Wesker, we also know that Wesker managed to capture the sample in Resi4.

Kreusser or whatever he was called had powers from the t-virus like Wesker and he worked with Saddler. At the same time he collaborated with Ada as well.

Umbrella Corp is still alive and probably moved some of their work to Africa. I suspect that they did a combination of both the las plagas and the t-virus to create a new biological weapon that offered control over people as well as adding t-virus attributes.

There is also another detail that should be noticed. When Leon was captured with Lois for the first time, and Lois was told about Leon's experience with the Raccoon City, Lois said that he thought he saw a sample of the t-virus in the labs. The Illuminatos had the t-virus with them. Why? Then there are some weird mutations like the regenerators.

A bit OT but Shane Kim forgot that Resi5 was announced for 360 2 years ago?

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200707/N07.0720.1230.26535.htm?Page=4

Kim: Yeah, but here’s the thing: I think one of the most important, subtle announcements at the Xbox 360 briefing is that Resident Evil is coming to Xbox 360. Yes, it’s from Capcom, who’s been a great supporter of us.

GI: But we knew that two years ago.

Kim: What?

GI: Resident Evil. It was shown at TGS two years ago.

Kim: No, but coming to Xbox 360.

GI: Yeah. It was at the press event.

Kim: I don’t think so.

GI: I’m positive. I was there.

Kim: Really?

GI: It was shown at both press conferences.

Kim: That RE5 was coming to…?

GI: Yep.

Kim: I’m going to have to confirm that. That was supposed to be the big announcement
Might have been joking, stupidest thing I've heard from him considering he usually knows a lot about console games in past interviews.

Back on topic...I heard that the villagers in RE4 spoke mexican which is a slangy version of spanish.

I'm black and it doesn't bother me, personally I don't see a uproar happening over this game. If its anything like RE4, there will be someone there thats not crazy. This person more than likely will help Chris. Someone similar to Luis.

Oh, the reference to Compton was uncalled for. Or any black community for that matter. Pakotlar this is directed at you.

Anyways, I very much doubt that the NAACP is going to go after Capcom for its depection of violent black people, because they'd only have to go to Compton to get confirmation that its really true ! ZING!

That comment is very much out of line and fairly untrue. No need to comment further or draw any other comparisons.

Great use of lighting and amazing art..

I'm looking forward to this game (even though i missed RE4 because of lack of an xbox version.. :cry: )

It does seem kind of strange that Capcom really can't settle on a home platform for the RE series though..

Is this game even coming out on the Wii (especially since the last one did)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back