The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we would need a much more detailed data, but for Halo 2, what % of its 8 million+ sold were in the first month?

Keep in mind that halo 2 released in November. It sold 2.38 million units the first day. and 6.3 million units by the end of 2004.

absolutely incredible graphics ... it really shows the scale when they zoom out on the films in the flash movie.

lighting on the pics is breathtaking

Saved Films ViDoc is released now

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=h3savedfilms

Edit: finished watching it, some pretty nice direct feed stuff. Had to mute it, so I have no idea what was talked about...
I always liked Halo 3 graphics because I'm easy going in that regard but, surprisingly, it looks better than I expected, especially the textures on the armor and, given the fact that the video features MP footage, I suppose some people's jaws may be dropping about September 26th in the Story mode.

Someone has been enjoying the splendour of HALO 3 WATERFALLS. Perhaps the best waterfalls in any game to date...

afaik, Heavenly Sword waterfalls looked great also but I didn't see them in motion.

The best thing about Halo3 seems to be the lighting. Probably a simple HDRI enviroment map, but they've really nailed it. And there seems to be some sort of PRT stored for the models too, as they have some soft self-shadowing even without any direct light sources.

I always liked Halo 3 graphics because I'm easy going in that regard but, surprisingly, it looks better than I expected, especially the textures on the armor and, given the fact that the video features MP footage, I suppose some people's jaws may be dropping about September 26th in the Story mode.

Someone has been enjoying the splendour of HALO 3 WATERFALLS. Perhaps the best waterfalls in any game to date...

afaik, Heavenly Sword waterfalls looked great also but I didn't see them in motion.

The waterfall in the beta was pretty impressive, but the waterfall in the above video really steps it up. Halo 1 and 2 had some incredible areas where I would stand on the edge of a cliff and admire the scenery, I'm glad that's continuing in Halo 3.

...Someone has been enjoying the splendour of HALO 3 WATERFALLS. Perhaps the best waterfalls in any game to date...

I'm trying really hard to go silent (dark) on Halo 3, and you're not helping. :D thx

The first part of the video reminds me a scene from Star Wars. The lighting is so amazingly good...everything look so perfect...just as I expected from a sci-fi movie/shooter.

I'm going to be really torn between Halo 3 and Mass Effect when it comes out...

MS investment in Bungie worths every penny.

I'm trying really hard to go silent (dark) on Halo 3, and you're not helping. :D thx.

Me too! I keep peeking at things and I only want more. Tuesday can't get here soon enough. I'm going to have to find something to keep me away from my PC over the weekend.

I think people are going to be surprised by the high graphical level/quality/scores/impressions of the single player mode after so many months of very little exposure and downplaying. :cool:

The vidocs are insane. (well on my 360 they are). I had a question though, when will my game get here? I ordered the Legendary version from Amazon. I was hoping to get it on the 26th or so. Any prior experience?

I don't think I can make it.

I was going to wait for the next hardware revision to pick up the 360...but the combination of BioShock, Halo 3, and PGR4 (not to mention that I haven't played Gears yet)...might get me to cave early...

[modhat]I removed the (turning nonsensical) talk about H3 looking 'meh'. If you have any complaints about the visuals, discuss them on a sensible, preferably technical, level. eg. "In one of the GS grabs there are no shadows. Why is this?" Don't come out with generic statements of meh, bleh, or anything else ending with 'eh'. Don't just reference worst-case pictures - you can grab rubbish looking images from any title, just as you can take photo's of the world's most beautiful people that make them look far from beautiful. These days we can reference more direct-feed motion to consider graphical prowess. And don't drag up the whole 'console war' thing, even in jest. It just makes noise. This thread is for H3 and not Cell, PS3, Sony's marketing gaffs, etc.[/modhat]

I don't think I can make it.

I was going to wait for the next hardware revision to pick up the 360...but the combination of BioShock, Halo 3, and PGR4 (not to mention that I haven't played Gears yet)...might get me to cave early...

MS has conjured up this (almost) perfect storm for the 07 holiday season to illicit exactly this sentiment. Let me ask you though, if the HDMI premium was 299, would that make your decision to 'jump in' any more cut and dry?

The one lingering doubt I have is that they didnt hit 299 with their flagship SKU for the holidays (at least not yet). Would be a real blow for MS to see what has amounted to 6 years of work and billions of dollars not be capitalized upon due to a stinkin $50 on the premium...

One of several awesome new gametrailers vids

The best aspect of that video, for me, is that there isnt a hint of tearing or slowdown - and thats in multiplayer.

The one thing I never expected to happen is for my excitement to rise as Halo 3 neared, yet here I am, some 61 hours and 45 minutes hours away...

Shifty Geezer said:
Don't come out with generic statements of meh, bleh, or anything else ending with 'eh'.

:D

I can't think of a downside to banning all words that end in 'eh' for the entire forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS has conjured up this (almost) perfect storm for the 07 holiday season to illicit exactly this sentiment. Let me ask you though, if the HDMI premium was 299, would that make your decision to 'jump in' any more cut and dry?

Actully, no.

Back when 360 was launched, I was hoping to be able to hold out until three things happened:

1) HDMI became integrated
2) Hardware revision with 65nm shrink (now known as falcon varient...not for costs, but for power consumption / heat / noise)
3) Halo 3.

I was anticipating that it would be Holiday '07 when when it all came together...though at this time it looks like we have 2 and half of the three. I say "half" because even though 65 nm version is not on the shelves, the revised HDMI motherboard (xephyr) by most accounts is stable and not as loud as the original hardware.

Would be a real blow for MS to see what has amounted to 6 years of work and billions of dollars not be capitalized upon due to a stinkin $50 on the premium...

Again, it's not the $50 to me...it's the hardware revision. "Zephyr" is about 1/2 way to where I'd want to be...Falcon is likely 75%, which I'd go for. My understanding though is that even Falcon won't have 65nm GPU...but I have no Idea when that may emerge, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

The vidocs are insane. (well on my 360 they are). I had a question though, when will my game get here? I ordered the Legendary version from Amazon. I was hoping to get it on the 26th or so. Any prior experience?

A friend of mine ordered Halo 2 online and received it early. I ordered Halo 3 online from Future Shop thinking that I was going to be out of town next week, it was just shipped yesterday so I imagine it will be a few days late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back