The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded the HD clips from IGN (firefox is your friend ;) ) and they look pretty nice, the lighting looks better than the demo, more rich and deep. But that may be due to the off-screen capture.

Looks to be no-AA in the campaign mode either, hard to say but there were some very bad jaggies/shimmering along the top of the base in video's 1 & 2, where the power lines and radio towers are.

The battles look huge though, with 4 player co-op this game is going to so much fun.

We've read that MS is spending $10m advertising this game, but srsly, i've been watching tv lately and the only Halo 3 related commercials i've seen were from weeks ago (Mountain Dew and Gamestop) and thats it.

Has anyone seen a surge of commercials on tv, because I could be watching the wrong channels :p

That figure likely includes that IRIS alternate reality game too.

Don't forget the Believe/Museum commercials. I haven't seen them on TV though... But it still cost them money.

We've read that MS is spending $10m advertising this game, but srsly, i've been watching tv lately and the only Halo 3 related commercials i've seen were from weeks ago (Mountain Dew and Gamestop) and thats it.

Has anyone seen a surge of commercials on tv, because I could be watching the wrong channels :p

I don't think they are running all that many commercials (compared to other games), I expect most of the money is put into branding and displays. For instance Walmarts here have huge signs over the entrance to the store.

Ya, so far the advertsing sucks compared to Halo 2.

For Halo 2 it was a constant onslaught of that wicked trailer, showing game scenes and dramatic music. A very traditional trailer, that worked extremely well. And by the time the game launched, I'd seen it probably 100 times...

With Halo 3, they're being way too conceptual for their own good. I saw the extended Believe trailer on Ultimate Fight Night on Spike last night, and I think they completely missed the mark. My friend who was watching it with me, literally groaned because it was so long, and had no other comments at the end other than "man, that was a loong comercial"

They treat this game like it's something truly important, but at the end of the day everybody sees right through it, and knows it's just a game, and ads like these are just silly.

All this nonsesne about the "Halo nation", live coverage of the Halo midnight launch etc really turns people off the game IMO, they build it up to be so much more than it really is, it's hard for non-Halo fans to take it seriously.

I'm not sure where this $10 million is going, but with only 5 days left to launch, I have to say MS's marketing of halo 3 has left a LOT to be desired. In the end, it probably won't matter, but I don't think this will be moving many systems, or attracting many new fans of the series, wiht a promotional campaign like this.

There is a big Master Chief cutout right inside the doorway of 24hr Wal Mart's around here, touting the availability of the game in the electronics section at 12:01 AM on Sep 25. Pretty smart by Wal Mart. Probably hit's Gamestop where it hurts. Certainly I knew about the old 24hr Wal Mart trick, but I'm not sure the general public saw it as "official",but the cutout makes that clear. Also the Halo 3 Mountain Dew, I see in stores.

I haven't seen any TV commercials, but I haven't watched that much TV. The "believe" commercial was pretty awesome I guess, the others less so, but like Shane Bettenhausen I'd have liked to see some gameplay footage in the commercials somewhere, and I have not seen any of these on TV only the internet.

Personally I prefer a more upbeat tone and real gameplay in my commercials. For this, I didn't care for the Gears of War mad world ads very much, yet they seem to have been effective, I guess (is there any real way to tell?)

Ya, so far the advertsing sucks compared to Halo 2.

For Halo 2 it was a constant onslaught of that wicked trailer, showing game scenes and dramatic music. A very traditional trailer, that worked extremely well. And by the time the game launched, I'd seen it probably 100 times...

With Halo 3, they're being way too conceptual for their own good. I saw the extended Believe trailer on Ultimate Fight Night on Spike last night, and I think they completely missed the mark. My friend who was watching it with me, literally groaned because it was so long, and had no other comments at the end other than "man, that was a loong comercial"

They treat this game like it's something truly important, but at the end of the day everybody sees right through it, and knows it's just a game, and ads like these are just silly.
I agree. They wanted to have something distinctive like GoW "Mad World" commercial, but their commercials don't tell you it's a game at all. Not to mention that "Believe" crap, I don't want to "Believe" that the game I'm buying is great, I want to "Know" that - gamepl;ay footage would do so much more to convince me. Halo 2 theatrical trailer and Halo 1 advertisments were much better.

Bungie and Microsoft are really obsessed about story. I am deep into Halo fiction, but I imagine if someone wants to buy a first person shooter to play only campaign and did not play previous Halo he would now find little to zero reason to play it (that's why we've had Dave Baumann's thread, although he already played MP).
I read a review (10/10) today and the reviewer couldn't even describe how the game begins so he only said how Halo 2 ended and that story is great and has major and interesting story twist.

Not to mention that "Believe" crap, I don't want to "Believe" that the game I'm buying is great, I want to "Know" that - gamepl;ay footage would do so much more to convince me.

Exactly. Believe in what?? An 8 hour game that has great MP? O..K...

It's like the marketing suits have gotten their heads way to full, and all the talk about Halo being the biggest media event has really convinced them it's more important/revered than it really is.

To me this ad campaign appeals to the hardcore halo freaks who wait in line for 12 hours, and that's about it.

But these people are, by definition, going to get the game regardless. So it seems very misguided. They should be spamming the hell out of cable TV with a movie-style dramatic trailer, not some silly 90 second diorama with an ultra heavy tone, and the word "Believe" at the end.

Dude the believe ad, longer version, was awesome. It makes you think Halo is something special.

The other ads however, like the museum one, were nothing special.

Dude the believe ad, longer version, was awesome. It makes you think Halo is something special.

Even if it makes some people think Halo 3 is something special, it requires to be focused on it in the first place... But who the hell is concentrated on commercials during commercial break?;)

If it wasn't for the fact that I read a Halo 3 review with perfect score, I would seriously worried about Bungie going to much into their own fiction (the ads and the E3 trailer with cheesy speech) and messing story.
The positive of that ad is that consolevania made a great parody of it.:LOL:

I dig the commercials. I understand that they maybe directed at hardcore fans, but I appreciate that the ad gives hardcore fans something more than just a generic video game commercial.

The non-hardcore people aren't the ones that are going to be standing in line next Tuesday am. no matter what the campaign was, they'll be better off moving it to casual players closer to the holidays with more positive buzz surrounding an already successful title (assuming thats what they have in store).

They're advertising it here in Hungary. In fact the game is fully dubbed in Hungarian as I've heard, one of 16-17 total languages. They're pushing it pretty hard, considering the size of the market...

The non-hardcore people aren't the ones that are going to be standing in line next Tuesday am. no matter what the campaign was, they'll be better off moving it to casual players closer to the holidays with more positive buzz surrounding an already successful title (assuming thats what they have in store).

This is a very interesting point actually, the september release may be exactly why the ad campaign seems so skimpy.

With Halo 2, it launched in Nov, they threw all their budget at marketing it for a 4-6 week period.

Now, they have to stretch that out over 4 months, so are probably spending only a small portion of the budget for launch, so they can have a second ad-blitz through Nov-Dec, which will be aimed much more at attracting the maintsream gamer, and moving systems.

Would they still do that? That seems an awfully long time a product that would have been out for over a month.

Well, the one sure thing is that Halo1 continued to stay on the Xbox top 10 list for a very, very long time, with about 100K/month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back