The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit.... This gets me... look @that background, the Sky is just... AMAZING. Looks like Volumetric Clouds to me...

Looks like a skybox to me..

I'm happy to hear they've got online coop, but why the hell do they have elites? with all the new Spartan designs it would have been nice to be ablre to play as new spartans as opposed to bog standard elites..

In the past two Halo games Master chief mows down enough covenant elite to let us believe that they really aren't all that amazing in terms of battle prowess.. Now we are expected to believe that these particular elites can hold their own against armies of brutes in some comparable fashion to the chief?

C'mon bungie!!

Give me a playable female spartan anyday!

I'm happy to hear they've got online coop, but why the hell do they have elites? with all the new Spartan designs it would have been nice to be ablre to play as new spartans as opposed to bog standard elites..

In the past two Halo games Master chief mows down enough covenant elite to let us believe that they really aren't all that amazing in terms of battle prowess.. Now we are expected to believe that these particular elites can hold their own against armies of brutes in some comparable fashion to the chief?

C'mon bungie!!

yeah the background indeed does. but that above masterchiefs left shoulder does not, me thinks. anyway. LOOKS NICE1

C'mon bungie!!

In Halo 2 you complete the game as an elite, so it's already been shown that elites can kick just as much as ass. And there are no new spartans, unfortunately.

Really? what about all those new ones shown for multiplayer?

They have no bearing on the story being told? ;)

In the books, there are no Spartans left (in "our" space-time) except for Spartan 117. In Ghosts of Onyx we find that Spartans 58, 87, and 104 get trapped within a micro-dyson sphere along with the remainder of the Spartan IIIs, Dr. Halsey and Mendez.

You could try to reason that because in the Multiplayer you have the different armour permutations, you could do the same in the campaign for John but.... who knows (outside Bungie). In the end, there are just no other Spartans left to show up alongside our hero.

edit:

One of the helmet designs (EVA) is pretty much the one shown on the Ghosts of Onyx cover, so I would just think Bungie wants to give people options that fit within the Halo universe. Again, does that mean the permutations will or will not show up in single player? Can't say for sure...

They have no bearing on the story being told? ;)

In the books, there are no Spartans left (in "our" space-time) except for Spartan 117. In Ghosts of Onyx we find that Spartans 58, 87, and 104 get trapped within a micro-dyson sphere along with the remainder of the Spartan IIIs, Dr. Halsey and Mendez.

You could try to reason that because in the Multiplayer you have the different armour permutations, you could do the same in the campaign for John but.... who knows (outside Bungie). In the end, there are just no other Spartans left to show up alongside our hero.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't read any of the books (lack of time) so it's good to get some extra info on the Halo universe..

So even though there aren't any Spartan's left, couldn't they make more?

So even though there aren't any Spartan's left, couldn't they make more?

:)

The Spartan II program pretty much requires special children who have specific gene markers. The original program started training the children at around age 6 and they were trained for years.

The Spartan III program was an attempt to speed up the process by being more lax on the gene requirements and the training time, and by the time of Earth's invasion hundreds had already gone through the program. The thing is that they weren't as "high quality" and were treated as kick-ass cannon fodder. If I recall correctly, there are about 10 left, all in the micro-dyson sphere.

From the way the program was conceived, I personally don't think they started other training groups. It was a secret project that involved kidnapping and faking the death of one of the Spartan IIs (Kurt) so that he could go off and train the new generation of Spartan IIIs along with CPO Mendez (who trained the original Spartan IIs). Kurt was killed near the end of the book. I got the impression that the Spartan III program described in the book was an act of desperation and the only one that existed because they wanted trainers involved with the Spartan II program to make the new one somewhat effective. But hey, they're all about secrets so... they could have new trainees somewhere. :p

(On a side note, Spartan II or III refer to the types of soldier rather than the sequential training of groups. For instance, there were several groups of Spartan IIIs who were trained at different times over the span of 15-20 years leading up to the invasion of Earth)

There is, however, one thing that has yet to be explained. In the first book there are three unaccounted Spartan IIs who have mysteriously disappeared and not mentioned again... In Ghosts of Onyx, the characters find 8 stasis tubes and bring them into the micro-dyson sphere. Five of those are Spartan IIIs who were placed in them by some events earlier in the book. The remaining three stasis tubes... unknown.. The book ends before the characters open them. :p

There is, however, one thing that has yet to be explained. In the first book there are three unaccounted Spartan IIs who have mysteriously disappeared and not mentioned again... In Ghosts of Onyx, the characters find 8 stasis tubes and bring them into the micro-dyson sphere. Five of those are Spartan IIIs who were placed in them by some events earlier in the book. The remaining three stasis tubes... unknown.. The book ends before the characters open them. :p
I can tell you enjoyed telling me all that info as much as I enjoyed reading! :D

But LOOK!

You've got your 3 multiplayer coop Spartans right there!

Now can you get rid of the arbiter and co now Bungie! :cry:

I like the direction they're taking with the co-op; game looks good and it looks fun. Fun is always the most important element.

I can tell you enjoyed telling me all that info as much as I enjoyed reading!

But LOOK!

You've got your 3 multiplayer coop Spartans right there!

Now can you get rid of the arbiter and co now Bungie!

:) What can I say, I love the story, and it's so unique amongst a lot of games out there. I'll probably get sucked into the Mass Effect story once I get the novel too. :D

Holy Sh**!

I should have spent more time with the beta..

It kinda begs the question of what Bungie has been keeping in store for the campaign. Why create a level that huge and restrict it in multiplayer?! :oops:

It kinda begs the question of what Bungie has been keeping in store for the campaign. Why create a level that huge and restrict it in multiplayer?! :oops:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/800/800901p4.html

Tyson Green: The thing is, if you took every single multiplayer map and stitched them together into this unholy fusion of a multiplayer map, it would probably be about the same size as some of the single-player maps, right?

Jaime Griesemer: Yeah - half of a small single-player mission!

C'mon bungie!!

Both of you are incorrect. The mountain is real geometry, and the cloud is not volumetric. If you did the ol' banshee to space trick in the beta, you got a nice look at the atmospheric effects bungie is implementing. Clouds are actually just multiple planes of textures intersecting each other. It's VERY convincing right up until the point where you cross the plane.

Also:
img.db

img.db

OMGZ. Thumbs up indeed.

:)

The Spartan II program pretty much requires special children who have specific gene markers. The original program started training the children at around age 6 and they were trained for years.

The Spartan III program was an attempt to speed up the process by being more lax on the gene requirements and the training time, and by the time of Earth's invasion hundreds had already gone through the program. The thing is that they weren't as "high quality" and were treated as kick-ass cannon fodder. If I recall correctly, there are about 10 left, all in the micro-dyson sphere.

From the way the program was conceived, I personally don't think they started other training groups. It was a secret project that involved kidnapping and faking the death of one of the Spartan IIs (Kurt) so that he could go off and train the new generation of Spartan IIIs along with CPO Mendez (who trained the original Spartan IIs). Kurt was killed near the end of the book. I got the impression that the Spartan III program described in the book was an act of desperation and the only one that existed because they wanted trainers involved with the Spartan II program to make the new one somewhat effective. But hey, they're all about secrets so... they could have new trainees somewhere. :p

(On a side note, Spartan II or III refer to the types of soldier rather than the sequential training of groups. For instance, there were several groups of Spartan IIIs who were trained at different times over the span of 15-20 years leading up to the invasion of Earth)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the 3 Spartans were mentioned briefly - they're Gray team, and they haven't been heard from in over a year.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Team

The other people in the tubes weren't described - they could be significant, or they could just be people that ran the facility.

There are actually over 300 Spartan IIIs still alive, because, as described in the book, only 3 small teams were on Onyx when the facility was attacked. The surviving Spartans could be doing another mission, or they could be held in reserve someplace.

To act as a replacement for the Spartan IIs they'd need to be outfitted with MJOLNIR armour however, as their current SPI armour doesn't recharge, and is rather weak. However MJOLNIR armour is ridiculously expensive, so I guess that's what's stopping the UNSC from outfitting some of the Spartan IIIs in it, assuming they have the manufacturing facilities anyway.

So that's why you can't play in co-op with your spartan friends :p

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the 3 Spartans were mentioned briefly - they're Gray team, and they haven't been heard from in over a year.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Team

That's what I mean though. No one knows where they are. ;)

The other people in the tubes weren't described - they could be significant, or they could just be people that ran the facility.

Ok.... Isn't that the same as "The remaining three stasis tubes... unknown..." :?: As in... nothing is known about who those three are? I was merely going over who was left.

There are actually over 300 Spartan IIIs still alive, because, as described in the book, only 3 small teams were on Onyx when the facility was attacked. The surviving Spartans could be doing another mission, or they could be held in reserve someplace.
I probably misinterpreted the book when I read that part, or I more likely got confused keeping track of all the hundreds. :oops:

If raining on my parade is correcting the point of the 300 S-IIIs, well.... ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back