Enter The Matrix

I'm pissed too. I started to get worried when I heard several tepid previews, like this Gamers.Com preview:

http://www.gamers.com/game/1297547

The rest, however, is not quite so impressive. As has commonly been the routine for such high-profile Hollywood adaptations into the interactive realm (read: Die Hard, Mission: Impossible, et al.), Enter the Matrix is a medley of play-styles, breaking down into various minigames including third-person character-based action, driving, flying, and, apparently, "hacking into the Matrix itself."

Sadly, this diversity appears to be the game's weakest point; rather than focusing on its resources on a single, polished gameplay engine (as EA managed with great success in its translation of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers), Shiny appears to have spread its resources a bit too thin.

Judging by the four-level demo to which Xbox Nation was granted access, rough edges abound. The driving sequences bring to mind unpleasant flashes of Infogrames' own Test Drive series, while the flying sequences, set inside the Nebuchad-nezzar spacecraft, provide a seemingly far greater offense: Hearkening back to such classic Sega CD "interactive video" fodder as Sewer Shark and Microcosm, the on-rails, pseudo-3D blasting elicited more than several unexpected guffaws from those who witnessed it in motion.

But, square wheels are completely unacceptable. I am in a state of total shock that this could happen in any game.

Well! Movie to game conversion has always sucked....

Lesson: Never do a movie --> game conversion!!! :LOL:

BoddoZerg said:
That's to be expected. Remember the launch of Black&White for PC?

When a game has as much pre-release hype as B&W or EtM, there is a period of "Emperor's Clothes" syndrome. Even if they don't really think the game is that good, people, especially review websites and magazines, will heap praise upon the game because they assume everyone will think the game is spectacular. During the "Emperor's Clothes" period, you will see a lot of totally illogical comments made by people unwilling to see the obvious.

For example, during the Black and White launch, many people praised the genius of the Creature AI. A few of us complained that it sucked, but we were shouted down by the masses. A month later, Lionhead released a patch for creature AI which admitted that in the v1.0 of B&W, the whole Creature Good/Evil system was broken, and creature AI was extremely buggy.

Similarly, I've seen people singing the praises of EtM's graphics, even in the PS2 version. You have to wonder why they haven't noticed the square wheels or the totally distorted low quality textures... even from pre-release screenshots you could tell that the graphics in EtM suck!

Advertising influences human beings a lot more than we're usually willing to admit...

To B&Ws credit, it was quite a ground-breaking concept, poorly implemented. Anyway, what I see quite often for huge-hype games are the following: reviews that fairly negative, so that by the time you are done reading you are fully expecting 5.5 score... and then you flip to the last page and see "8.7". WTF? Why are you scoring the game this high, you just said it basically sucks. I think that the reason for that is that many people will buy "big-hyper" anyway and convince themselves they like it - so the sites don't want to seem "wrong".

A prime example was Newerwinter Nights for PC. This game was low-80s game that reviewed high-90 from most reviewers.

Tagrineth said:
Deepak said:
Well! Movie to game conversion has always sucked....

Lesson: Never do a movie --> game conversion!!! :LOL:

I disagree; have you played LotR:TTT?

Alas! A single game cant change the sad history....I always wonder why they make movie-games! They always suck!

I disagree; have you played LotR:TTT?

I have, played through the whole thing. I'd probably give it a 3/10, significantly sub par in pretty much every aspect. A wannabe DoubleDragon with poor level design, lousy combat system and no gameplay depth(which when combined with the overused combo system ruins any chance of it being a decent arcade type game). I actually thought it was rather embarassingly bad, certainly one of the poorest titles I've seen this generation. EA should have spent a lot more time on this one before releasing it, you don't need to do much to make a killer game out of Tolkien's works, but EA managed to be quite far off the mark IMO.

Londonboy,

For the love of god, don't buy EtM, just rent it!

The only redeeming part of this game is to sit around with your friends 'playing' it, drinking alot of beer, and laughing at the retarded gameplay issues or rendering errors (like when you run down a street, from time to time your shadow will move in 'fastforward' and run away from you, thus disappearing, leaving you shadowless for multiple minutes).

I went over to GameFaqs to get an idea of the 'hacking thing', and I couldn't believe all the people who were lapping this trash up.

Again,

Reasons to rent this game: many - beer, laughing at how bad it is, and making fun of your friend when Agent Smith catches them in a bad loop of picking up/throwing/picking up/throwing your character [with no escape] thus killing them in one hit), and ofcourse, to see the extra 'footage'.

Reasons to buy this game: zero.

Heh, I was just at EB (Mother got me Aria of Sorrow, and I got Evolution Worlds GCN for $18 used - immaculate disc, no lie).. and the sales guys were desperately pimping Enter the Matrix... :LOL:

zurich, you were mostly right about this game. Thank goodness I rented it first, got the last copy of the Xbox version Blockbuster had. It's not an awful game, just a mediocre one with some nasty bugs, outdated technology, and boring levels. Reminds me a lot of Oni for Ps2 actually.

I can see why there weren't review copies sent out early :devilish:

For anyone wondering, 1080i is not much of an improvement over 480p. Oddly enough though in 480p my screen aspect doesn't look right, only in 1080i. Also, the colors in 1080i are nicer. Which makes no sense whatsoever, but that's how it looks to me.

On the Xbox version, the movies are in 1080i Divx (supposedly from higher-than-1080 source material as well). There's another thing that I don't understand. Regular MPEG-2 would have looked better. Yes, the resolution is nice, but there's compression artifacts all over the place :(

Aw come now. The game isn't that bad! True it isn't the paragon of the nth latest game engine advances. I think comparisons to Max Payne are just plain uncalled for, nor is it indicative of a "1st gen PS2 game engine experience". It simply delivers a "Matrix game experience" to the mass market gamer. It isn't extremely deep, but very accessible to virtually any fan of the movie (as if the movie can ever be considered "deep" to begin with). If you go into it with that in mind (instead of expecting nirvana comensurate with the hype), I think it is possible to derive decent entertainment out of it. For all the mindless button mashing that it is, I happen to think these karate fight scenes are pretty cool! "Bullet time" is done nicely, and jump-kicking through a window is just plain gratifying. You don't have to be teh button-combo maestro, but you'll pull off moves that really make you feel like da man. ...and that is really what Matrix has been about- being something far more potent and in-control than real life.

randycat99 said:
Aw come now. The game isn't that bad! True it isn't the paragon of the nth latest game engine advances. I think comparisons to Max Payne are just plain uncalled for, nor is it indicative of a "1st gen PS2 game engine experience". It simply delivers a "Matrix game experience" to the mass market gamer. It isn't extremely deep, but very accessible to virtually any fan of the movie (as if the movie can ever be considered "deep" to begin with). If you go into it with that in mind (instead of expecting nirvana comensurate with the hype), I think it is possible to derive decent entertainment out of it. For all the mindless button mashing that it is, I happen to think these karate fight scenes are pretty cool! "Bullet time" is done nicely, and jump-kicking through a window is just plain gratifying. You don't have to be teh button-combo maestro, but you'll pull off moves that really make you feel like da man. ...and that is really what Matrix has been about- being something far more potent and in-control than real life.

If you say so! Wait till you get to the hovercraft level :p

I was also amused to see that Ghost shares about 75% of the same animations as Narobi (or vice versa) heh!

I should add that any of the driving parts of the game will probably end up being the weakest parts of the game. Clearly, the cruxt of the effort went into the "walking around kicking ass" part of the game. My theory is that they just threw in some old driving game engine to handle the driving sequences, and it shows. Can't have it all, I say. Mind you, this is a major license game that got released right along with the movie release and over 3 different consoles, to boot. That is still quite a feat, IMO.

but i've seen some screens with normal tyres!!! :LOL: :LOL:

so disappointed..... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed...

no doubt this will be a best seller though.... :LOL:

Back