The First Halo 3 Single Player Screens + Video! Rules=#369

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a bullshot, in terms that you wont really see Master chief outside of cutscenes (FPS shooter), altho if you play splitscreen or co-op, you could see another master chief, from the same angle.

It also looks a bit to clean, (dunno if Halo 3 sp will have 4x AA), anyways, add some jaggies and thats ingame.

Actually it's not a bull shot. At anytime in single player you can pause the game and move the camera around to take a screen shot. That appears to be all that was done in the moment from a single player game.

it's a bullshot like everyother heavily supersampled bullshots.Most people don't seem to be able to recognise a supersampled SS aparently..

Actually it's not a bull shot. At anytime in single player you can pause the game and move the camera around to take a screen shot. That appears to be all that was done in the moment from a single player game.

But say it is ingame but when you pause to set the angle and additional settings that when you take the photo extra AA and perhaps other effects and/or AF is added to give a better looking wallpaper worthy photo?

that won't give you what oversampling does. oversampling is much more than just added AA and aniso 16x everywhere.

I'm pretty sure Bungie was focusing on the multiplayer aspect of the game anyway. Why people are complaining about the graphics is sort of a mystery to me.

I'm pretty sure Bungie was focusing on the multiplayer aspect of the game anyway. Why people are complaining about the graphics is sort of a mystery to me.

Actually there were 4 times more people involved into SP than MP. But it's not like graphics are bad, everyone who was at the behind close doors presentation said it looks great.

Because after so long in development, after bungie themselves showing off such an extravagant trailer at E3 05 and boasting to the press about their apparent "global illumination-esque rendering solutions" and how "when we see the game for real we'll all be blown away by just how amazing it looks", it just doesn't look so far above the multiplayer beta, nor does it stand out to any significant degree over most other 360 games in the pipe (many of which are being developed using multi-platform engine tech; UE 3.0)..

Personally aside from the art (which is to the same exceptionally high standard as the previous Halo games.. But not enhanced enough to "wow" me..) I'm pretty dissappointed with how the game looks since bungie hyped it up for so long I was really expecting the game to reach AV milestone status that both the first and second did on the Xbox and it's just sad to see that on the eve of publiv unveiling there are already several games [on the way] on the same platform that look better..

EDIT:
It's not that the graphics are bad.. it's just not the mind-blowing spectacle I was lead to believe it would be..

Still..

It's Halo.. So my dissappointment is so far away from stopping me picking this one up at launch..

[My 360's been sitting turned off for the past few weeks now and the only time I turn it on is for XNA dev testing..I need a new game.. :cry: ]

My mistake :(

I was always under the impression that they were trying to increase the scope of the multiplayer than ever before, so naturally I thought the engine was more similar to something like Resistance for example, than Gears of War.

I think that if you want people to say your game looks good, you should set your game in small, boxy environments with only a small number of characters ever onscreen, and you absolutely must throw any idea of subtlety wrt how you apply fancy effects right out of the window. And don't forget to mess up the screen with unsuitable filters (WHY do my eyes have lense flare? WHY do my eyes have camera grain?).

Scale is a screenshot killer. Subtlety is a waste. Destroyed urban environments are the only place to be.

Personally aside from the art (which is to the same exceptionally high standard as the previous Halo games.. But not enhanced enough to "wow" me..) I'm pretty dissappointed with how the game looks since bungie hyped it up for so long I was really expecting the game to reach AV milestone status that both the first and second did on the Xbox and it's just sad to see that on the eve of publiv unveiling there are already several games [on the way] on the same platform that look better..

I don't agree with that. While Halo 1 graphically literally leapfrogged any other game at the time, Halo 2 was easily outclassed by Chronicles of Riddick and Rallisport Challenge 2 (not to mention Oddworld Stranger's Wrath wchich was released 2 months after Halo 2). I think Halo 3 is visually more competetive with other titles this year than Halo 2 was when it was released.

I don't agree with that. While Halo 1 graphically literally leapfrogged any other game at the time, Halo 2 was easily outclassed by Chronicles of Riddick and Rallisport Challenge 2 (not to mention Oddworld Stranger's Wrath wchich was released 2 months after Halo 2). I think Halo 3 is visually more competetive with other titles this year than Halo 2 was when it was released.

Ah good points.. (I'd forgotten about those titles) I stand corrected..

Why are you comparing to a car game and another completely different genre (Oddworld) :?: Chronicles of Riddick didn't have nearly the scope of Halo 2. Bungie could have gone the stencil shadow method but they found that performance would have taken them down throughout most of the game. Yet, even their E3 2003 demo performed fairly well all-considering in the much more open environments.

EGM has some Halo 3 SP info thanks to NeoGAf poster

New Gear:

Flare - It's a flashbang. Seems Forerunner in design, definently the unknown grenade type.
Mauler - Dual-wieldable shotgun. Brute weapon, mandatory blade randomly sticking out the bottom.
Gravity Hammer - Based on Tartarus special toy. Can act like a sword, but mostly used for area attacks and physics based fun. Sends vehicles and grenades flying. Has a shockwave-type effect.
Regenerator - Equipment. Like the power drainer but opposite.
Radar Jammer - Equipment. Causes radar to go crazy with false positives. More importantly though, described as "mostly" useless in the campaign. Yea, okay I guess it's just a turn of phrase.
Positional Shield - Equipment. Pretty much exactly like the ground shields in Halo/Halo 2. Not clear whether or not it's permanent or whether or not it lets gunfire through one side.

New Vehicles:

Prowler - A Brute Spectre. Looks amazingly badass.
Hornet - UNSC helicoptor only seen in Campaign mode so far. Appears to carry passengers, but God knows how, seems to expose them more than the Mancannon does.
Elephant - Described as a Jawa Sandcrawler, it's essentially a UNSC Scarab. A dozen soldiers can ride it, it can house a Mongoose in it's belly, is driveable, has a turret, can respawn troops, and holds both the flag and cap point. Only available on Sandtrap as of right now, and is only thing specifically mentioned not to be included in Forge.

Campaign:

Online Co-op - WHO KNOWS? FRANKIE KNOWS. SAY SOMETHING FRANKIE. C'MON FRANKIE.
Brutes - They stay towards rear, commanding others in encounters. Berserking is gone, but they will do a monkey charge if stripped of their technology. Chieftains come with Grav Hammers and the same invincibility power Tartarus had. Oh and they can use jetpacks.
A.I. - The monkeys can now climb, along with the rest of the Covenant. Seems to be a direct response to retarded Elite On A Hill moments in Halo 2.
The Arbiter - Nothing. "No Raiden moment." Campaign is 100% MC, with Arbiter in tow for Co-op. Whether this means Arbiter won't be selectable solo at all or rules out 4 player co-op is unknown.
Encounters - "There's an encounter at the end of the second mission that you play that has more enemies allies than the entire first mission of Halo". Claims less drastic distinction between the Now I'm Exploring This Corridoor, Now I'm Blowing Up Vehicles parts.
Lighting, Sound, Music, Graphics in general - Godly. Around 40,000 voice clips too. Cursing used to indicate status.
Metagame - Played solo or co-op, score based on player performance and active hidden skulls. Presumably difficulty level too. Mentions stat collection on bnet but not the all important LEADERBOARDS.

Multiplayer:

LOCKOUT REMAKE - Not really. Map's name is Gaurdian, Forerunner place hanging in the jungle. "This is not a port of Lockout". Maybe he's lying? Supposedly Lockout influenced, it's really hard to read the section on it. The screen of it has the double level and catwalk thing going on but seems much, much larger.
Game Modes - A good amount spent on the customizeable gameplay modes. Gravity, spawns, move speed, and even stuff like immunity while within a King of the Hill circle are customizeable. Lists stuff like Hamster Crack and Hammer Time, but it's not clear whether these are actually preset modes or just ways of messing with options in Custom games.
Sandtrap - Vehicles on a goddamn 15 second respawn timer. Not really clear how the vehicle spawn locations will interact with moving the Elephant around.
Elite model - Larger than Spartan but not so much to gimp yourself. Head seems to have been raised much higher although it definently still seems longer than the Spartan domes.
Invincibility - Based on Tartarus green haze of don't waste your ammo, allegedly rare in multiplayer.

Forge:

You can turn your Spartan into a Halo Monitor and back again. That's pretty much it. Full control over a map's spawned items except for the Elephant. Multiplayer, although player count unknown. Everyone gets a Monitor. Create your own gameplay, or whatever that stupid buzzword is. Divergent, or something. Will track Spartan's stats for goal based play, although won't have any rules enforced.

Marathon:

Speculation about the terminals, no new info. But the magazine says Marathon should be on XBLA "now". Which should correspond to sometime near August 11th.

spoiler story notes at link

Why are you comparing to a car game and another completely different genre (Oddworld) :?: Chronicles of Riddick didn't have nearly the scope of Halo 2. Bungie could have gone the stencil shadow method but they found that performance would have taken them down throughout most of the game. Yet, even their E3 2003 demo performed fairly well all-considering in the much more open environments.

Oddworld wasn't that different. It was part FPS after all. Both Oddworld SW and RSC2 had scale so it's not completely apples to oranges comparison.;) I still think that Halo 3 is now more visually impressive than Halo 2 was at the time.

I cannot imagine a Halo encounter of over 100 units. You know, 1 charged plasma pistol shot completely depletes shield bar and imagine fitghting all these enemies each being very dangerous.

halo3chopperzk5.png

People complain about the graphics, but this, to me, is the one of the best screen shots I have ever seen... from any game.

Lighting - perfect
Textures - perfect
Motion blur - perfect

I think I've found a flawless screen shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because after so long in development, after bungie themselves showing off such an extravagant trailer at E3 05 and boasting to the press about their apparent "global illumination-esque rendering solutions" and how "when we see the game for real we'll all be blown away by just how amazing it looks", it just doesn't look so far above the multiplayer beta, nor does it stand out to any significant degree over most other 360 games in the pipe (many of which are being developed using multi-platform engine tech; UE 3.0)..

EDIT:
It's not that the graphics are bad.. it's just not the mind-blowing spectacle I was lead to believe it would be..

Still..

It's Halo.. So my dissappointment is so far away from stopping me picking this one up at launch..

[My 360's been sitting turned off for the past few weeks now and the only time I turn it on is for XNA dev testing..I need a new game.. :cry: ]

It's the art that be the thing that's turning you off. It's still looks like Halo. But screens like the one above prove that it's a beauty to behold, something that's way better looking than the public beta, and something that matches the promise of beautiful lighting and textures shown off in the E306 trailer.

halo3chopperzk5.png

People complain about the graphics, but this, to me, is the one of the best screen shots I have ever seen... from any game.

Lighting - perfect
Textures - perfect
Motion blur - perfect

I think I've found a flawless screen shot.

agreed

for all the talk here about game's graphics, this one holds its own just fine. :smile:

(underrated on this forum, maybe because it's "Halo")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back