E3 Microsoft Conference Thread

inefficient: Not sure if we watched the same conference...COD4 was one of the few highlights of the conference (RE5, COD4, and perhaps the Halo stuff...which surprisingly didn't do much for me).

The whole conference was an exercise in being awkward. The corporate VP of marketing who played with Reggie Bush grated on me to no end. If there ever was a slimey used car salesman at Microsoft, it would be him. His blatant attempts to "identify" with his audience (he kept calling Bush "bro"!) were just awkward, fake, and bland.

I stayed up to watch this conference, and to say it was underwhelming is an understatement. Only Microsoft can botch a press conference with perhaps the best 6-month lineup of video games I've ever seen.

Predictable.

They focused on '07 games as expected and pushed them hard.

Halo3 single player looked good (though not as good as the ps3 counterpart - again, as expected).

Fable2 looked great!

Disappointed in no NG2 or Banjo footage.

Still a VERY strong lineup this fall.

Who else thinks that Peter Moore's little Halo edition 360 will become this E3's Riiiiiiiddddddgggge Raaaaccccceeer or Giant Enemy Crab? I almost felt sorry for him. I actually got excited when he said we have a "to celebrate this launch, we're announcing a new console" but then he pulls out this really ugly looking 360. I heard people laugh when he pulled that out.

It could seriously use more surprises. Who DIDN'T expect Halo 3 to look drop dead gorgeous? Where the hell is Banjo Threeie?

I didn't watch any feeds (live or otherwise) of the conference but reading what people have written of what was shown it seems to me like at the very least a decentyl successful showing!

A good-sized stack of high-qualiy games supposedly all out this year (barring ye typical delay of course) and Halo-pimping hardware and Disney downloads and so on.. MS seems on a roll to me!

Sony and Nintendo better not slack off methinks. Redmond's out for blood here.
Peace.

Who else thinks that Peter Moore's little Halo edition 360 will become this E3's Riiiiiiiddddddgggge Raaaaccccceeer or Giant Enemy Crab? I almost felt sorry for him. I actually got excited when he said we have a "to celebrate this launch, we're announcing a new console" but then he pulls out this really ugly looking 360. I heard people laugh when he pulled that out.

It could seriously use more surprises. Who DIDN'T expect Halo 3 to look drop dead gorgeous? Where the hell is Banjo Threeie?

There were multiple instances of the conference I could see as being used as fodder...eg, "MASSIVE DAMAGE from going long and hard".

Well I think him playing guitar in Rock Band was the low point for his carrer.

After I saw that bit with Peter Moore and the 3 other really uncool guys jaming away on that game it made me want to STAY AS FAR AWAY from that game as possible out of fear of every looking at dorky as them. It was basically the touch of death for me. I was cringing the whole time and wished it would just be over.

And ya, that green and orange color scheme is very un-pleasant looking! At first I thought it was just bad lighting on the stage, but no! They should have made it look like spartan armor or something instead because this is hideous.

xboxha01.jpg

It's a nice idea, but surely if someone is going to buy that abomination, you'd think they'd want the game included with it.

I suppose that would upset MSs attach rate though so they wouldn't be able to brag about the 4 people that bought the console buying the game too :LOL:

It's a nice idea, but surely if someone is going to buy that abomination, you'd think they'd want the game included with it.

I suppose that would upset MSs attach rate though so they wouldn't be able to brag about the 4 people that bought the console buying the game too :LOL:

With as crap as it looks, they may have to throw the game in!

It looks hand painted in a garage by a fanatic fan.

Hmm, I must be crazy or have bad taste but I like the design. It isn't going to mesh well with most peoples entertainment centers, but the design is solid to me.

Hmm, I must be crazy or have bad taste but I like the design. It isn't going to mesh well with most peoples entertainment centers, but the design is solid to me.

The problem I have with it isn't so much the color (though I'm no fan there either) but the finish should be shiny as is the case with most materials in the Halo world.

Only good thing about it is the included hdmi port. Even that could be a questionmark if the price is higher than a standard premium box.

I don't mind the design either. It brought me back to the Warhammer 40k days (the table-top game). The tray looks bad though, but it probably looks worse in chrome; I think they should have made it grey like the memory ports. I do like the controller. *shrug*

I don't mind the colors or the graphic designs on the case at all actually. They seem alirhgt to me - but a shiny finish could perhaps have been even better (though harder to photograph).

What I do mind is the branding on the side(s?) and front.

Why wouldf I want to play for years on a console that'll forever advertise one single game? That's just irritating and annoying.
Peace.

More importantly (*snicker*), it'll match the Legendary Edition helmet case. ;)

I would actually get this if it had the 65nm chips. :oops:

Perception of the keynote seems to be extremely clouded by disappointment in a lack of 'surprise announcements', despite the fact that MS offered two very large ones.

I would have thought that the discussion on this forum would be more aligned to analysis of the strategy of MS.

Such as the fact that their entire focus has been on being the first console to a 10m installed base (accomplished) and owning the 2007 holiday season.

MS made a very good case in their keynote that they offer an experience available this holiday season that consumers can't get anywhere else.

Furthermore, the lack of discussion on the two main parts of the MS keynote: the agreement with Disney and expanding Live Marketplace globally, confuses me.

MS entered the console market almost for the sole purpose of establishing Live Marketplace and becoming the distributor for digital content to the living room.

This keynote established that they are well on their way to accomplishing that task, and Sony really needs to step up if they want to compete with MS for ownership of the living room.

I also still don't understand the belief that MS would respond to Sony's reshuffling of their inventory with a price drop.

Maybe if Sony announces a price drop, MS might feel obliged to follow suit. But as the case stands, the PS3 launched at $499 and $599 and is currently $499 and $599.

As far as being critical of the keynote:

The Rock Band thing was the most horrible thing I've witnessed. I had to change the channel, I couldn't stand it. I would have preferred to listen to fingernails on a chalk board. Assassin's Creed look nifty in parts, and extremely buggy in others. This might be a case of the game simply being too ambitious, but I'm not sure.

Reggie Bush was paid too much. A bit of rehearsal might have helped. And they couldn't figure out a better way to demonstrate the newest version of Madden than the ten year old 'money play' of running a weakside toss when the defense overloads and blitzes to the strong side? Practice some plays that will show new animations or something.

Who thought the Halo3 addition Xbox was a good idea? I'll take Simpsons one instead, thank you. And it doesn't even come with Halo3?

But overall, MS demonstrated they have the biggest installed base, their installed base spends the most money on games, their installed base spends a great deal of money in the Live Marketplace, they have the best lineup for the holiday season, they are expanding the Marketplace globally, and you can now stream Disney movies into your living room for your children whenever you want.

How the keynote could be considered any worse than 'solid' is beyond me.

They also raised the bar very high in the non-gaming aspects of the console, which of course is their entire business plan.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think too badly of the design. :D

As for RancidLunchMeat, these press conferences are usually expected to provide some kind of bang that people didn't expect. I mean, big shockers that will affect the consumer themselves in a real way. Like some were speculating on a MGS4 transition to the 360... that would've been a real eye-opener most likely. It's not unreasonable to think this way. Those announcements that you are propping up seem like everyday news. Sony unveiled Killzone 2 and such, so people are just looking for that kind of "surprise" factor.

But yeah, solid is a good word for it. Either way though, solid isn't exciting. And that's how many think these conferences should be. I'd have to agree.

So after watching all the E3 video downloads, without a doubt the highlight of the show was Lost Odyssey(and Re5 but that's a ways away).

The graphics are just gorgeous, I love the art style which is realistic with a touch of cartoon, and it's just full of colour.
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5743/790_0006.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5743/790_0004.jpg
http://images.xboxyde.com/gallery/public/5743/790_0002.jpg
(may have to refresh your browser for these to load)

MS certainly didn't bring any new surprises to this E3, but in a way, maybe that was smart. They can now save their big surprises for next year's E3, which is going to be Sony's big year and they'll need all the help they can get.

So maybe it does make sense to save NG2, Fable 2, Alan Wake, Banjo Threeie etc for next years show.

Also, it appears Too Human is a 2008 title now?? Trilogy in this generation seems unlikely at this point.

Also probably the best 'news' release was the vonfirmation of Mass Effect in Nov.

Back