I just sold my Dreamcast

PARANOiA

Veteran
For $200 Australian on Overclockers.au! Crazy but true. Came with Shenmue (PAL) and a couple of other games, plus an arcade stick. I actually put it in a bag to go in the bin since it sat on my shelf for years without action before I thought "eh may as well see what I can get for it".

I can't believe how well it held its value. Talk about gaming nostalgia.

Anyone else have a similar tale of making money from their old "junk pile"?

My son just asked me if I could find him a DC set up used, he's a big Sega fan now and wants to see what their last console was like.

(Yes, I am insanely proud of him. ;) )

I've been seeing them for like $50us for a complete one. :oops:

I always wanted a DC but they were hard to find in europe at the time (plus I didnt have any money as I was still a kid at the time). I think you should have kept it.

Does anyone remember Code Veronica? That was definitely one of the best RE games ever. I'd kill to get my hands on that again.

Dreamcast is an awesome console with so many great games:

Soul calibur
Sonic Adventure
Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi
Shenmue 2 (with some embossed bump mapping (!!!) in it, IIRC)
House of the Dead 2
Power Stone
Rayman 2
Virtua tennis
Chronicles of the Lodoss War (Great 3D Rogue-like)
Super Magnetic Neo (underrated platformer)
Bangai-O
...And many others I can't remember right now.

Give the Dreamcast a chance! :p
Does anyone remember Code Veronica? That was definitely one of the best RE games ever. I'd kill to get my hands on that again.
As I said in the RE for Wii thread, I would definitely buy a Code Veronica Remake for the Wii, if they implemented the RE4 controls for it. They wouldn't even to go out of their ways and polish the graphics a lot, I would buy it nonetheless.

I've got two of them and still drag it out for HydroThunder. I still think the dreamcast controllers are some of the most comfortable controllers ever.

I disagree with Davros when he says Crazy Taxi is a bad game. It's an excellent game that shows SEGA's strength in arcade games, it just doesn't offer that much depth unless you really like it.

The Dreamcast has a lot of gems on it. It's one of my favorite systems ever. Of course I'm a huge SEGA fan and will openly admit my bias towards the company when it comes to their systems and games when they still manufactured console hardware.

Skies of Arcadia was a great RPG, can be had on Gamecube also.

Dead or Alive 2 is a great game for the DC and shows just how far the sstem went when it comes to graphics.

If you're a fan of Project Gotham Racing then the Metropolis racing game that was PGR's predecessor.

Oh, get Sword of the Berserk if you can find it anywhere. It's a great manga series, and the game is classic hack and slash, but it really is worth every penny in my eyes.

I don't own a TV and had my dreamcast lying around, my girlfriend recently got a TV and so I set it up, we're both playing through Skies of Arcadia -- good times. Right now I'm trying to get my hands on EGG (elemental gimmick gear) and will be tackling Grandia 2 and Record of Lodoss Wars in the mean time.

since i loved sega so much i got my 1st dc at the midnight launch on 9.9.99.

it definately seems to be more popular now than it was at launch.

i remember at the time everyone was saying, "sega sucks, the ps2 will be out in a year."

it's good to find people that appreciate sega's efforts, though.

i just wish they had they had ported the daytona sequels, planet harrier, and a few other games, including that phat-ass game shown off in mid 98 that got cancelled. forgot the name of it.

also, i found vf3 tb for the dc rather disappointing, but the casual gamer wouldn't spend the money on a model 3 derivative-based console.

It's a good game compared to arcade games. It's a pick up and play arcade game, nothing more. Even my sister was hooked on that game.

I disagree with Davros when he says Crazy Taxi is a bad game. It's an excellent game that shows SEGA's strength in arcade games, it just doesn't offer that much depth unless you really like it.

People can try it on PSP if they have that and no DC. ;)

The Dreamcast has a lot of gems on it. It's one of my favorite systems ever. Of course I'm a huge SEGA fan and will openly admit my bias towards the company when it comes to their systems and games when they still manufactured console hardware.

You're not the only one. Gametrailers put the system at no 9 in the top 10 best consoles of all time, which put it above the Xbox, for instance (which wasn't even in the list). At the time, I voilently didn't believe in the system because it was a PC in a box, and not the most advanced at that. Maybe I was wrong, but that really put me off and because of it the PS2 had more appeal to me technically. Also, I really wasn't a big SEGA fan in terms of software at all.

These days my opinion would have been a lot more nuanced (I know a lot more about hardware then I did back then), at least in terms of hardware (I still don't like SEGA games).

At the time, I voilently didn't believe in the system because it was a PC in a box, and not the most advanced at that.
What made you think it was a PC in a box? The CPU was an SH4 not x86, it had it's own bus (not PCI) and the graphics chip, CLX2, had numerous features that were certainly not part of, say, DX or OpenGL.
Maybe I was wrong, but that really put me off and because of it the PS2 had more appeal to me technically
PS2 had some fast FP hardware plus loads of fill-rate but only with very simple blend modes, which it achieved by using a 'hectare of silicon'. If you do some searching, you can probably find the B3D post I made many years ago which listed most of the leading-edge features of DC's graphics.

I remember the volume modifiers being one feature that seemed amazing at the time. I recall a sample demo of it on the PowerVR site of the time, or maybe somewhere else. I think it was modifier volumes that was the feature.

Simon, I remember reading your posts at DCTP/Segatech back in the Dreamcast days. I remember your article on VQ texture compression, it is a great read.

Back