First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

I think for me, its this one in particular that makes me really wonder

killzone-2-20071203082044421.jpg

It seems that somebody confirmed that the pixtured were "photoshopped"
You'll need to provide more info than that! Who said it was photoshopped, based on what theory, and most importantly what about them was photoshopped? If it's a tweak of the colours, that's no biggy, but if it's drawing in all the particle effects and shadows which aren't rendered in game, than that would be a major 'reality adjustment' ;)

You'll need to provide more info than that! Who said it was photoshopped, based on what theory, and most importantly what about them was photoshopped? If it's a tweak of the colours, that's no biggy, but if it's drawing in all the particle effects and shadows which aren't rendered in game, than that would be a major 'reality adjustment' ;)

Info is here http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=89106
and here http://kotaku.com/gaming/killzone-2/guerilla-confirms-killzone-2-screens-were-touched-up-331733.php

Meh... color correction mostly.

Interesting post and comparison of touch-ups and touch-downs here at neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8884474&postcount=7951
criticizing Kotaku, that apparently like to troll in their own site.

aarh Kotaku strikes again. They took the worst image they could find to compare it with the new one to prove a non existant point. I am sure they even grapped their images from the old video

Meh... color correction mostly.
Well then, nothing to worry about. In fact they could be the same scenes just taken from a later build with the latest post processing in effect in engine. Looking at the image on that Kotaku page, you can actually see they're two different images rather than just the one that's been messed around with to make it look different. There's nowt in terms of colour correction and tweaks you can do in PhotoShop that you can't accomplish in the post effect readily enough.

Shacknews said:
There was a little bit of colour-correction done and some minor polish, but nothing major," Downie posted on the official PlayStation forum. "Still very close to reality and it looks better in motion in my opinion. "

Link

/shrug

Yeah only minor touch ups not worth pointing out due to how both ss looks in respect to each other. It would have been another "song" if the colors where more touched up to mimic more realistic lighting than what would be.

Edit: Well there certainly is more than just color changes on those ss. The black shadow borders around the ss certainly cant be something from gameplay unless they are simulating tunnel-vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's suppose to be a texture bug as mentioned already by the devs, apprently the motionblur is causing such a glitch, they flicker from crisp to blurry back and forth. in any case i do hope they can "crisperize" the texture more, maybe using more of the hdd for texture streaming.
Apparently the wind is blurring areas and the "blur-bug" was especially noticeable on the dropship in the beginning of the trailer were the floor was blurry making te impression of low textures. (wind blowing though the dropship/dropship moving)

Need more debri flyin around they said, making the wind effect more apparent.

I think the dropship floor is low-res textures, no bug or effect covering it up as it would look different then. But the simulation of wind or 'battle dust' on the ground is visible on some parts bluring the ground, although the effect is IMO not convincing.

People shouldn't be appologizing for the bullshots. It looks like more than colour correction. The image used by the shacknews example looks like the outside edge of the entire image has been shadowed out manually. It makes the lighting look much more impressive, but its not lighting at all. Maybe the games lighting has changed a lot in that scene, but I don't see that as being likely. As such these shots can't be trusted to actually show what the game really looks like. This game *shouldn't* need this sort of thing. I wonder whats worse. The fact they did it, or they though they had to do it. KZ2 doesn't need this sort of press, again.

I think the dropship floor is low-res textures, no bug or effect covering it up as it would look different then. But the simulation of wind or 'battle dust' on the ground is visible on some parts bluring the ground, although the effect is IMO not convincing.

If you watch the dev-walkthrough from Lepzieg wher he pauses the intro and pans around on th dropship, the floor looks much better than it did at E3 demo.

[gt]24022[/gt]

This game will look insanely good in 720p, this gen's consoles are really held back by the marketing bullet, 1080p. If sacrifices in resolution will make this much difference, I am all for it. I'd rather have good quality graphics rather than "not-so-good" 1080p graphics. This in 720p will be the game.

Sorry for responding to such an old comment, but I just recently purchased a PS3 and a 1080P LCD HDTV so I feel I have something to add to this particular line of discussion.

On one hand, I'm inclined to disagree with you because I feel like my HDTV isn't being fully utilized at "only" 720P, but after playing Drake's Fortune, I find myself reluctantly agreeing. If 720P can look that good then I'll pass on 1080P just for the sake of higher resolution.

If you watch the dev-walkthrough from Lepzieg wher he pauses the intro and pans around on th dropship, the floor looks much better than it did at E3 demo.

[gt]24022[/gt]

Aye but when he pauses the game demo the effect seems to turnoff and reveal the textures as the look on other ss where the effect is not visible. Neverthless only applies for ground as far as I've have seen and not other over the ground stuff. :???:

Seems like the developers newest screenshots were touched-up (by themselves), in other words made the in-game screenshots better looking than the un-touched in-game sceenshots. Anyway I think it´s good that they stand for what they have done (they admitted) allthough they didn´t admit after a discussion about the screenshots being touched-up in the official PS3 forums.
The link to the news: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50295

In-game screenshot touched-up:
image-o-matic.x

In-game screenshot un-touched:
image-o-matic.x

Quite a big difference I must say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back