First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Well, hate.., not exactly Shifty. It makes me "sad" to see those grey tones in games. Deferred rendering sounds amazing from a technical point of view but it seems to me that colour is the sacrificial lamb here.

You made a similar point in the deferred rendering thread in the console tech forum; did you check the responses? The grey you're talking about is purely part of their art direction. It's not a result of the tech being used. Check the dev walkthrough video; the guy turns off all of the post processing and what you have left is a colorfully lit world.

This game will look insanely good in 720p, this gen's consoles are really held back by the marketing bullet, 1080p. If sacrifices in resolution will make this much difference, I am all for it. I'd rather have good quality graphics rather than "not-so-good" 1080p graphics. This in 720p will be the game.

I think the 'meh' remark comes from the environments in that particular SS looking flat with muddy textures and that I'll have to agree with. The point about defferred rendering is its supposedly superior ability to allow many layers of post processing effects. I've yet to see this superiority in any of the videos or SS and until I do it's just another fancy way of getting from point A to point B without tangible benefits that are convincing onscreen.

There is only one level thus far that has been shown in Killzone2 and it would silly to assume that the whole game will look grey and dull throughout, just wait and see more level before judging it.

I think the 'meh' remark comes from the environments in that particular SS looking flat with muddy textures and that I'll have to agree with. The point about defferred rendering is its supposedly superior ability to allow many layers of post processing effects. I've yet to see this superiority in any of the videos or SS and until I do it's just another fancy way of getting from point A to point B without tangible benefits that are convincing onscreen.

Which one ?

I guess the one without the post-processing. But that one was taken from an offscreen video and then blown up from 1024x576 so the quality isn`t great.
See page 51.

Wow, is that second pic a screenshot from the realtime trailer or is it just artwork? It's beginning hard to tell.

It's what we call a matte painting. If there isn't any real 3D movement, it's easier to just paint a nice picture and use it as a background. It can even be projected back into simple 3D geometry for small camera movements.

I guess the one without the post-processing. But that one was taken from an offscreen video and then blown up from 1024x576 so the quality isn`t great.
See page 51.

Huh ? Then why is he complaining about post processing using an image _before_ post processing as an example ?

Capeta said:
The point about defferred rendering is its supposedly superior ability to allow many layers of post processing effects. I've yet to see this superiority in any of the videos or SS and until I do it's just another fancy way of getting from point A to point B without tangible benefits that are convincing onscreen.

Huh ? Then why is he complaining about post processing using an image _before_ post processing as an example ?

The point about DR has nothing to do with the point about muddy textures unless you think PP can clean up muddy textures.;)

You should try to understand what you quote...

I've yet to see this superiority in any of the videos or SS and until I do it's just another fancy way of getting from point A to point B without tangible benefits that are convincing onscreen.

Ah I see, they are 2 separate statements.

Capeta said:
I've yet to see this superiority in any of the videos or SS and until I do it's just another fancy way of getting from point A to point B without tangible benefits that are convincing onscreen.

Wouldn't this be subjective to begin with since many, including most of the journalists in the first presentation, are already impressed with the visuals ? At the very least, the technique allows GG to come close to the trailer feel.

FWIW, this game is only pre-alpha. When all the pieces fit together, it would be much easier to judge its achievements and non features.

FWIW, Pre-alpha doesn't really mean anything ;) It's just the devs trying to get people to imagine that things might actually improve between now and release.

Well i was under the impression that "pre-alpha" meant they hadn't reached alpha yet. Meaning they weren't at the stage where the game was "finished" and they were adding polish. Or don't I know what alpha means in game development? I understand that "pre-pre-alpha" doesn't make much sense.

FWIW, Pre-alpha doesn't really mean anything ;) It's just the devs trying to get people to imagine that things might actually improve between now and release.

Well, the devs mentioned that they still have work to do in the visual, physics and AI departments. So I will take their word for it rather than just a "label". I remember they also had "tech demoes" to the journalists before this pre-alpha trailer. The next time they show it would be alpha or even beta. Things can still change upwards or downwards depending on the total "picture".

The scene also needs to be taken in context. e.g., if post processing will darken the environment and wind effect will blur the texture, why use super detailed outdoor texture in the first place ? I remember seeing detailed textures in the indoor environment too. Until we see the final game (and understand the context), piece-wise analysis may not be adequate in understanding the technology behind the scene, and the impact they bring to the table.

AFAIK Beta means complete game undergoing final testing, balancing and bugfixing; Alpha means feature complete but work in progress in many other ways.

chances are anything can happen be it beta or alpha. i know for a fact lair improved alot of its features in the last minute such as fire, vegetation effect and teatures. and we know GG still has some features to be implemented if i recall some slides from their tech speech.

Back