First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

I also like 3rd person or over the shoulder view, 1st person view and the whole Green Goblin hovercraft feeling is just plain odd.

I think KZ2 cover system is implemented better then Gears mainly because you hold L2(i think) to latch onto cover and can release it anytime to get out of cover. Gears cover system had you pressing A and you are automatically stuck to that object. One button does too many things is just one of the few faults I have with Gears.

I've think again about the "fog of war" stuff and it could be an interesting way to implement some rpg element to a game.
I think about NWN and the spot/listen skills (for those who know).
When your listen rank is high enough you can see if there is encounter in a room, otherwise the cam allows you to see what the room looks like before you enter it but you can't know if there people in there.
As you rank goes up devs could implement a way to see further your back by moving the cam accordingly.
And spot skill could help you to spot encounters who use predator like camouflage more easily.

It could also implement via a mini map, anyway, may its already done lol, I don't play that many games.

I want really different classes(roguish/fighter/wizard like) in third person or third person view action games (for single player campaign It already exist for multi player)

They have some really nice level design, I hope they add some day maps.
It´s everything added together that make KZ2 one of the best looking console games right now but technically it doesnt have anything impressive IMO.
Stil very good looking for a console game but not even close to the higher leagues.

Killzone 2 is as of now the best looking console game, bar none.

and will be ahead for a very long time on both ps3 and xbox 360.

and not technically impressive ?

do you even know what this engine is capable of !? :rolleyes::oops:

Preference

I agree since as of now there are arguably already equal or better looking games.

Maybe but I am not sure which one. Crysis is great and amazing lighting and jungle models and also physics but even Crysis I have disappointments (like enemy skin and model is not so great). I don't feel existing FPS games (for sale) are amazing (except Gears of War) but everyone has different preference for graphics.

Killzone2 also for me has disappointments. Skin looks better than most games but still is not as good as it can be. Also, sometimes I can see polygon edges on environments like sandbags. Also, I notice in the cutscene opening section when the friendly ship gets hit and falls down the smoke trail looks like very many sprites. Very poor I feel and when everything else looks amazing this sticks out for me (like Lair fire). Sometimes also I can see texture changes. Everyone also knows about light coming through things sometimes but this for me is not so noticeable because of so much action.

Gears of War

Gears looks as good as KZ2, of course in a different art style.

Gears of War looks great but difference is not just art style but also scope and action. It is slow-paced, 3rd person shooter with few enemies at a time. For example, Gears of War engine can have only 8 player multiplayer. I feel they have not so much time so they limited scope to get maximum performance. Probably with more time they can have same performance with more scope. I think they said they are not using full Xenon power.

KZ2, I feel is between Gears of War and Resistance. Not as crazy as resistance (40 player multiplayer is crazy) but more crazy than Gears of War. Different games for different preferences.

Gears looks as good as KZ2, of course in a different art style.

Just that KZ2 has seemingly much larger environments and superior lighting on top of that (+MSAA).

It also looks like more stuff ongoing on screen (+ destructible environments) at once, but we have to wait and see what else's coming here :)

[modhat]"Best Looking" is a subjective term. I could say LBP is the best looking game even if technically it's not as advanced as KZ2. Thus the whole subject of 'best looking' is pretty pointless, and certainly off topic. This is a Killzone thread, and not a 'best looking game ever' thread.[/modhat]

Not to mention the obvious reason why some people want it to be the best looking game...
if you're assuming its because they're fanboys, i disagree... i think KZ2 does make a strong case for best looking console game shown so far (i think CoD4 and KZ2 are up there). i think Shifty Geezer hit it on the head... its all subjective. this thread keeps turning into a vs war arguing opinions. why can't we just stay on topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe but I am not sure which one. Crysis is great and amazing lighting and jungle models and also physics but even Crysis I have disappointments (like enemy skin and model is not so great). I don't feel existing FPS games (for sale) are amazing (except Gears of War) but everyone has different preference for graphics.

You know Crysis skin and models are some of the special stuff with SSS amongst other effects to make it look realistic.

Killzone2 also for me has disappointments. Skin looks better than most games but still is not as good as it can be. Also, sometimes I can see polygon edges on environments like sandbags. Also, I notice in the cutscene opening section when the friendly ship gets hit and falls down the smoke trail looks like very many sprites. Very poor I feel and when everything else looks amazing this sticks out for me (like Lair fire). Sometimes also I can see texture changes. Everyone also knows about light coming through things sometimes but this for me is not so noticeable because of so much action.

KZ2 looks great, I amy even say that due to the artistic design, careful use of effects and gameplay style it looks like one of the best forthe consoles. But it seems many whant to use this game to claim definate superiority over the xbox360 when much of the KZ2 graphics are defined from the art and the postprocess-filter.
So there are to "levels", how the graphics are percieved and what it does technically.

if you're assuming its because they're fanboys, i disagree... i think KZ2 does make a strong case for best looking console game shown so far (i think CoD4 and KZ2 are up there). i think Shifty Geezer hit it on the head... its all subjective. this thread keeps turning into a vs war arguing opinions. why can't we just stay on topic?

I think some people feel defensive because its a console game. People dont have any problem saying Crysis is the best looking game ever, but then its a PC game.

Its not really surprising that KZ2 is the best-looking console game. I mean, how much have they spent on it? £11m? Still, GG have done a great job with the graphcal effects, especially with the deferred rendering.

Back