First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

No, it's because you can't fit all the G-buffer into the EDRAM, and when you try to do your rendering and later the shading, the remaining bandwith of the system - the single 22GB bus - just won't be enough. It's a resource limitation, not a technical one.

This game is going to be wicked. :devilish:

This isn't hyperbole - we didn't expect all that much based on the screenshots or, let's face it, the achievements of the original. But in motion, first-hand, this is a visual DEMON of graphical prowess. Somehow even the trailer shown at E3 doesn't do justice to the experience of really sitting down in front of it and taking time to become immersed. The only real-time thing we've seen with our own eyes that comes close graphically is Rage, (and yes, we've seen everything from Fallout 3 to Halo 3), but we're talking about the PC version of Rage, and you can bet it wasn't running on a crusty Pentium 3 box when id's boss showed it to us, that's for sure.

Thanks dantruon for the link.

I just love the visual style of KZ2!!

was checking out gamplay vdos of Killzone 1, and the atmosphere rocks! opening up my imagination to what more dusty moody environs will surface in KZ2:D

This game is going to be wicked. :devilish:

quote:
"This isn't hyperbole - we didn't expect all that much based on the screenshots or, let's face it, the achievements of the original. But in motion, first-hand, this is a visual DEMON of graphical prowess. Somehow even the trailer shown at E3 doesn't do justice to the experience of really sitting down in front of it and taking time to become immersed. The only real-time thing we've seen with our own eyes that comes close graphically is Rage, (and yes, we've seen everything from Fallout 3 to Halo 3), but we're talking about the PC version of Rage, and you can bet it wasn't running on a crusty Pentium 3 box when id's boss showed it to us, that's for sure."

Thanks dantruon for the link.

They have some really nice level design, I hope they add some day maps.
It´s everything added together that make KZ2 one of the best looking console games right now but technically it doesnt have anything impressive IMO.
Stil very good looking for a console game but not even close to the higher leagues.

They have some really nice level design, I hope they add some day maps.
It´s everything added together that make KZ2 one of the best looking console games right now but technically it doesnt have anything impressive IMO.

It has some technicall impressive stuff although it is the art and immersion level that makes the game shine. The brownish/greyish color also makes the contrast between object detail and polygon edges less noticable.

Stil very good looking for a console game but not even close to the higher leagues.

It should be wise to exclude PC due it's advancements in technology and perfomance along with tthe games utilizing this.

This isn't hyperbole - we didn't expect all that much based on the screenshots or, let's face it, the achievements of the original. But in motion, first-hand, this is a visual DEMON of graphical prowess. Somehow even the trailer shown at E3 doesn't do justice to the experience of really sitting down in front of it and taking time to become immersed. The only real-time thing we've seen with our own eyes that comes close graphically is Rage, (and yes, we've seen everything from Fallout 3 to Halo 3), but we're talking about the PC version of Rage, and you can bet it wasn't running on a crusty Pentium 3 box when id's boss showed it to us, that's for sure.

It is hyperbole! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Hyperbole

It is hyperbole! :LOL:

I feel real Hyberbole is rage. What's great? Mountains have very blurry textures. Looks like motorstorm with better lighting and worse textures.

I like best old crysis videos. I said WOW when I saw it. Look at banana tree movements and light. Also when they shoot trees they have nice physics and fall nicely. Very nice!

Also, PC graphics cards may have "technical advancements" and some games will use this but console graphics will always have many effects that are not possible on PC cards because developer can custom design software with consoles but cannot on PC and console resolution can be .9 megapixel (or less even) and have little or no AA and be accepted by public. PC they are limited to API and sometimes have to support very high resolutions, full AA, high anisotropic filtering, etc, no?. Console they have no limits.

What's great? Mountains have very blurry textures. Looks like motorstorm with better lighting and worse textures.

That is like saying, "What is so great about Killzone 2? Dark filters and pixelated dynamic shadows? Looks like Fear with more lights and worse AI." The extremisms don't tell us much; the nuances and details in between the extremes tell us more about the total package.

For Rage, it is a racing game. While 1 texel per inch (if that is what they are aiming for, I dunno, but it seems reasonable based on some of the numbers given) isn't super high, the goal from id Tech 5 is as much performance and texture uniqueness. e.g. Instead of bland repetitive tiling like Motorstorm (which has some really, really bad texturing and places where they are lucky to have a texel per foot, so texturing is a real hit or miss there for me) with some stamped tiles for diversity, id Tech 5 is offering a unique palette.

I am not gagga over id Tech 5, but to be fair they are multiplatform and run on 4 platforms, run at 60Hz, takes the source material and automatically ports it to all 4 versions, and has some nice post processing. The rendering engine, overall, looks decent (lighting and shadowing appeared to be decent).

Also, PC graphics cards may have "technical advancements" and some games will use this but console graphics will always have many effects that are not possible on PC cards because developer can custom design software with consoles but cannot on PC

More than one way to skin a cat. The high end PC GPUs have more power right now, so what they may lack in elegance can often be accomplished with brute strength. A 8800GTX is gonna crush RSX (essentially a slower clocked 7900GTX with fewer ROPs and less memory bandwidth). So you can do some nice stuff with Cell for graphics (due to necessity in some cases), in many cases an 8800GTX could do those things another way because it is more flexible and a lot faster. And we are not even talking about IQ levels and new formats that these new GPUs support.

PC they are limited to API and sometimes have to support very high resolutions, full AA, high anisotropic filtering, etc, no?. Console they have no limits.

I will excuse these comments because I don't think you PC game much. A number of PC games don't even support MSAA--UE3 doesn't and a hoard of PC games are using it. AF? I have only played a couple games that even have it enabled by default. Resolution? I cannot think of a single game that defaults to over 1024x768 (mind you I don't play every game).

The Steam results show a lot of PC gamers use aged hardware. Your perception of PC gamers, and PC games, is skewed. PC games, at least new high profile ones pushing on the hardware, tend to tickle a couple bells and whistles of the new cards, offer "HQ settings" that tend to crush even the nicest GPUs, and then offer a ton of scale back options for older hardware, with target baseline hardware typically ~ 2 years old for most features at modest IQ levels.

PC devs have a lot more leeway than console devs do in terms of release rules. And while PC devs have to deal with APIs and shifting hardware, they can set any cutoff they want. They also can toss features in with the approach, "Get new hardware if you want to use this feature" if it doesn't perform fast enough. Features left on the cutting room floor on consoles get left open for new hardware. There is give an take.

This is the second mod to ask everyone to remain on topic and follow the forum rules that are generally against comparisons and off-topic chatter. And by "ask" we mean tell. :devilish:

Jonge: The 'duck and cover' system worked quite well in Killzone Liberation, and made the game more tactical, so we want to apply that same kind of feature to this game. What we've got here is if you stand close to low cover and press the left second shoulder button, then you will latch onto the cover; you can still look around and move sideways, but if you push forward, you can stand up and fire over the cover. You can also press the fire button to blind fire over the cover. And with high cover, you can move to the side, step out, and fire at enemies; it's a very simple mechanic but very intuitive and easy to use. So you'll be scanning the environment for objects that you can use for cover.

the cover system explained.

Can you move sideways against cover in GeOW? I don't remember doing that I the game. GeOW's cover was good, but it was quite 'sticky' at times. It could certainly be improved upon even if on paper it sounds the same, so I wouldn't liken any game with cover to Gears until I'd played it.

Gears cover system sucked compared to vegas. Much smoother
While I wouldn't say Gears' cover system 'sucked', I agree it didn't work as well as R6V in hectic combat. As Shifty said, it was too 'sticky' to allow you to move freely and fluidly. Hopefully, KZ2's cover system will use the best aspects of both.

Personally I'm just glad that the cover system keeps you in first-person mode. It always felt so cheap and dirty to be able to see around corners in a "realistic' game like R6: Vegas.

Personally I'm just glad that the cover system keeps you in first-person mode. It always felt so cheap and dirty to be able to see around corners in a "realistic' game like R6: Vegas.
I tend to prefer third person view, I'm bored of fps and the "gliding" feeling, but your remarks is interesting!!!
It could be interesting to implement some kind of "fog of war"
but it could be difficult do so without wasting graphics, but I'm sure some devs could come with good ideas!!

Back