First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Another point of concern I have - what sets this game apart? The developer demonstration had me thinking 'yet another FPS'. I'm not a fan of the genre so maybe I miss the subtle nuances, in the same way all red wine tastes the same to me, but all I see is identical game mechanics to every other shooter. There's different weapons which all do the same basic task, and you run and take cover and shoot. How is this different to every other shooter? Or putting it another way, if you already have GeOW or R:FoM, why would you buy this? Is it just for the visuals?

Gears is not a FPS, Resistance is not as real looking and cinematic. Killzone looks better then both:D

ps. thats like trolling isnt it:devilish:

Another point of concern I have - what sets this game apart? The developer demonstration had me thinking 'yet another FPS'. I'm not a fan of the genre so maybe I miss the subtle nuances, in the same way all red wine tastes the same to me, but all I see is identical game mechanics to every other shooter. There's different weapons which all do the same basic task, and you run and take cover and shoot. How is this different to every other shooter? Or putting it another way, if you already have GeOW or R:FoM, why would you buy this? Is it just for the visuals?

What I'm hoping for is exactly that: yet another FPS and maybe some extras on the side. Bringing something new to the table gets difficult over time since it's a formula that's very mature already. In that case, I think what will set it apart is how well that formula is implemented:
-sticking to what works and doing it right
-deviating a bit would be great too (without negatively implicating what already works)
-honeying it up with an engaging and well presented story

GeOW and FRoM aside, Halo does this beautifully. When you get right down to it it's still yet another FPS, but they made the right decisions to allow for fun and solid gameplay.

We already know KZ2 has the visuals to allow for great presentation. Assuming they're aiming to nail gameplay, the way it all comes together will provide a defining experience to remember.

That's why I have been posting questions on weather system and AI. The weather system could change the flow, controls and balance of a typical FPS. The AI... well, I am still looking for something that can match the simplicity/elegance and balanced AI Halo 1 introduced (but lost subsequently). So if it plays like Halo 1, I would welcome it in tears. :)

Resistance offers a deep combat system (via sophisticated weapon modes). But to me, there is something else that is hard to explain. You probably can't grasp it by reading reviews. Essentially, the maps are designed such that it is quite common to run into enemies in a 1-to-1 fashion for about 3 seconds. You have to pit everything you learned about RFOM weapons against this opponent within that short time. Then you need to leave the scene quickly to recoop before others show up. It is not as hectic as some PC FPS I tried, but not as slow as stop-n-pop games. The pace is just right for what it does. Halo 1 has great pace too.

So other than ostensible features like weather effects and AI, I believe as long as GG spent TONS of time play testing. They should be able to find the right game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually there is a difference between the guns. One important think in Killzone was the secondary attack of each weapon.

The Helghast gun was effective in short rage shooting with its secondary attack. It worked like a shotgun and was an instant kill. On the other hand your normal gun could throw grenades.

Ironically, I remember people saying the same things about Resistance a year ago (Just another FPS).

For me it's everything I liked about Killzone 1, but the bad things are fixed (or seem to be so far), and new things are added (new weapons, new enemies, new cover system, physics system, much more atmospheric, etc). And we haven't even seen the MP yet.

you need to see the developer demonstration in HD and you might change your mind. I think what set KZ2 apart from other FPS is the atmosphere and the cinematic (no HUD) approach.

its a combination of things that makes it look fun. since there are so many FPS out there, if you take the good things from a combination of games, it will be fun. like Resistance doesn't really bring anything new, but it was one of the best FPS i've played in a while.

for killzone, its the stunning visuals (i'm most impressed by the lighting and the blood splatter), the way the Helghast react when you shoot them up (it really looks satisfying when you kill them :devilish: ) , the cover system, the destructible environments, the hectic battle going on, and the mini boss battles. watching the videos, i really want to play the game.

if the AI is good, the online is at least decent, there aren't any major bugs, its not TOO linear and the game is a decent length, i think it will be a big hit (unlike the first).

Last edited by a moderator:
The vids show the post-processing clearly adjusting pixels by depth, which addresses some of our concerns. But I have to say, clever as the internal lens reflection effect is, it looks completely out of place to me. It's an FPS where you're essentially playing a person. The camera movement is very organic. So why would you get lens reflections? The blue and orange splodges just looked totally out of place to me, and distracted from the graphics. I hope they have them optional.

I personally like the lens effect and feel it looks good. It also adds a bit of colour amid all the grim looking environment and characters. It wouldn't hurt if they give you an option for it though.

On a separate note, I'm interested in the "medical pistol" mentioned. Does it work over longer range? Do you need to be next to the guy to heal him? May be they can have a game mechanic that, when Sev is shot down, your control transfers to someone nearby and have a time limit to use the medical pistol on Sev before game over?

Well i have the link to megaupload for the IGN-HD video of the demo ;)
That would be a copyright infringement. If people want to see IGN's HD material, they should pay the subscription. If they're not paying the subscription, you don't go and take IGN's premium content and hand it out.

Killzone 2 Q&A: Roy Postma

Killzone 2's lead visual designer talks about the inspirations behind the Helghast and what the PS3's power means for their team.

Part 1: http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/8a250901148d209101148f0ac0d50ca4
Part 2: http://www.gametap.com/home/read/article/8a25090114924715011493ba49ab02d7

GameTap: Can you talk about your creative process for making such elaborate set pieces and characters for Killzone 2? What tools do you use? Where do you draw inspiration from? What kind of reference material do you use?

Roy Postma: It all begins with a brief from the game designers, describing a game object’s functionality and possibly story. After some quick brainstorms, we start collecting reference materials and creating moodboards. Next, we research objects with similar functionality and details. When we know how we want the object to work, we start defining the shapes. This can be done on paper, in Photoshop or even directly in 3D if it’s a mechanical object.

Simply put, we use whatever works fastest. The result is the first concept pass, which gets thrown around, tweaked and tested in mockup if necessary. After that, we move on to the second, more technical stage, where we work everything out in detail. This is mostly performed in Photoshop, using paint-overs on mockups, which are usually integrated with photos and reference materials. We cover as much as is needed, after which the modelers perform their magic and bring it to life.

Back