First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Im sure it will:D

Did they do this changes after the E3 demo?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1039398&postcount=88

"I was at the presentation yesterday. Some interesting ideas. Overall, dropping HDR, 4X MSAA for 2X, using only 12 (6) taps on 512x512 shadowmaps for the main directional light, dropping specular color for materials, dropping directional lightmaps, dropping shadows and per-pixel lighting on particles, only one lighting model for the entire world, for the sake of more lights (actually, for the sake of lighting performance non-dependent on the geometry but only on fragments lit which would be desirable) didn't seem worth it to me."

Are you deliberately trying to troll or maybe you just didn't realise that your actions would be interpreted as such..?

In anycase the answer to your question is directly no.. The "changes" were never made full stop..

These "tradeoffs" were made as "design decisions", way before any part of the Killzone engine got implemented I suspect..

Next time I'd spend a little more time and think about what your trying to achieve before posting obakan..

Im sure it will:D

Did they do this changes after the E3 demo?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1039398&postcount=88

"I was at the presentation yesterday. Some interesting ideas. Overall, dropping HDR, 4X MSAA for 2X, using only 12 (6) taps on 512x512 shadowmaps for the main directional light, dropping specular color for materials, dropping directional lightmaps, dropping shadows and per-pixel lighting on particles, only one lighting model for the entire world, for the sake of more lights (actually, for the sake of lighting performance non-dependent on the geometry but only on fragments lit which would be desirable) didn't seem worth it to me."

These are not new changes--all of these design trade-offs were in the E3 demo already, and we've all seen the end result. Stop trolling.

Saw this on GAF.
Regarding faces, you are able to shoot off the Helghast masks and helmets in Killzone 2 (according to motherh) so we will probably be able to take a good look at their faces.
So the mask, helmet and probably other stuff on the soldiers are separate objects then, thats pretty cool. I think the only other game I can think of that has the helmet fall of a soldier is Crysis, or does the helmet fly of in CoD? Can't remember.

Saw this on GAF.

So the mask, helmet and probably other stuff on the soldiers are separate objects then, thats pretty cool. I think the only other game I can think of that has the helmet fall of a soldier is Crysis, or does the helmet fly of in CoD? Can't remember.

You could even shoot of the helmet in MoH1.

Gentlemen let's return to discuss about this threads topic (that is KZ2)! :smile:

you asked for it. :LOL:

helghasteyesoj81.jpg

This is probably my favorite example of how detailed and accurate the lighting engine in this game is. Someone said in a post that the Helghast's masks aren't actually lit up - that they are simply textures - because such minute details don't need that much attention.

Note how the goggles on this trooper's mask light up his SLEEVE and the shadowing that is being created on his face-mask and sleeve because of this light.

ALSO take note of this incredibly small detail of INDIRECT LIGHTING: take a look at the front of the helmet... notice the ambient lighting coming from the sleeve of the trooper is affecting his helmet? Remember... his goggles are UNDERNEATH the brim of his helmet. Goggles shine on to sleeve - sleeve then reflects diffused lighting onto the helmet... IMPRESSIVE!

is that really the case?

From that pic, I'd say no. The yellow in the helmet is light from the goggles. So far I haven't seen any evidence of indirect illumination.

How does the upper lip of the helmet get illuminated then ?

I can understand the bottom lip being lit by the goggles, but I wouldn't think it be possible for the upper lip to be lit by them ?

I can understand the bottom lip being lit by the goggles, but I wouldn't think it be possible for the upper lip to be lit by them ?

Perhaps it is bleed-through?

...or the actual light in the engine is not in the same place as where you see the light emitting texture.

According to seb downie ( Guerrila lead tester) that guys statement is pretty much spot on give or take a few minor things

"Apart from some naming conventions and minor things it is a pretty decent breakdown Once we can talk about the tech a bit more we will. "

4kdve2o.jpg

the 3 roundish objects seems to b lit up by the armour plate below it which it self was lit up by the muzzle flash i presume. evident nuf for IL?

http://i13.tinypic.com/4kdve2o.jpg
the 3 roundish objects seems to b lit up by the armour plate below it which it self was lit up by the muzzle flash i presume. evident nuf for IL?

That does not look like indirect lighting, and if it is then a lot of other games provides the same lighting effect. :???:

Edit: I just thought about this first ss shown of KZ2, notice the helmet forehead

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_4692210.html

Last edited by a moderator:
would b so much easier if GG did an engine flyby like how crytech's done theirs.

Problem is GG aren't selling their engine and therefore they don't need to "sell it" if you get my meaning.. ;)

As far as i'm concerned i'll just be happy to see some of their technology shared among Sony's other internal studios for whatever games they may work on in the future.. Granted it's probably not going to be suited to all game types but i'm sure there's enough in there (especially with regards to SPU [practical] usage) for other to be able to take out and adapt to their own needs..

Problem is GG aren't selling their engine and therefore they don't need to "sell it" if you get my meaning.. ;)

As far as i'm concerned i'll just be happy to see some of their technology shared among Sony's other internal studios for whatever games they may work on in the future.. Granted it's probably not going to be suited to all game types but i'm sure there's enough in there (especially with regards to SPU [practical] usage) for other to be able to take out and adapt to their own needs..
would love to c resistance 2 using deffered rendering. also wish they could tell us how much SPU power they've harnessed for the game.

Back