First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Nice use of polygons. :smile:

ISaidWow.JPG

You know whenever I come across these types of threads that are extremely critical and start nitpicking at every little detail in screen shots, I can't help but think that maybe Nintendo made the right choice. You can spend 20+ million dollars to appease the hardcore gamer only to get torn apart in forums, or you can be Nintendo and have a sports game where the players have no limbs and no animations, but you get worshiped for providing such a quality product. I have to admit, I never thought it would have come to this ;)

I'll say this much. I don't think screen shots are the be-all way to determine if a game will look good anymore. I mean sure, in the days of Yars Revenge the screen shot meant everything. But today you really and truly need to see it in motion to get a good feel for it. My 2 cents anyways.

It's the fact when a game was indicated by Marketting, Media, and Fanboys to be the "Best game ever see"… when you proclame to be the best, you have to prove it… and the criticals would be more strong…
Killzone 2 seems to be a be a good game, but 'cause of its Buzz it become a not so good than promise … many games had the same history…

How do you know that? guerilla confirmed/rectified the game uses 2x AA
This is what they told N'Gai Croal at the viewing.
Killzone-2-Helghast-soldier-leaping-into-battle.aspx

One of the things that made us believe in Guerrilla's potential, even when it hadn't yet been fully realized, was the company's attention to detail. Looking up above, we see cables that look like power lines or telephone lines, swaying in the wind. (There's practically not a jagged line to be found on the power lines, or any other lines, for that matter; we're told it's because Killzone 2 is using the Cell's SPUs and the RSX graphics chip to achieve 4x full-screen anti-aliasing.) There's a glow decal that happens when bullets make contact; right now it's applied to all weapons, but they're planning to dial it back and only have it apply to certain weapons. Even the tracer fire seems specific to Killzone 2, as if it has a slight upward arc the further it gets from the muzzle. When you kill a Helghast, a red pool of blood not only forms to indicate that he's dead, but it also turns yellowish over time. The dramatic light and shadow in the previous screenshot of the Helghast vaulting over a rail, which has been the subject of much chatter online, comes from the game's multiple dynamic lights. There's even a complete Helghan alphabet, seen on signage throughout the level, which was created by the game's concept designers. And while we don't think it will replace Klingon anytime soon, it's still evidence of how much specificity the people at Guerrilla want to bring to the Killzone universe now that the console they're working on finally matches their ambition.

Read whole preview here.

That picture showed lack of shadows, not the worst textures. If my PC allowed me to take pictures of movies, id show you some shoddy textures.

Just look at the trailers. The dropship sequence, look at the dropship floor

Yeah I remember a blurry floor and a shadow popping up in the 2005 CGI trailer too but no one complained.

So?

Seb Downie at Guerrilla Games confirmed that the game is using 2xAA at official playstation forum. But my question is with 2xAA I can't see any jaggy. How can this be possible?

Seb Downie at Guerrilla Games confirmed that the game is using 2xAA at official playstation forum. But my question is with 2xAA I can't see any jaggy. How can this be possible?

Grain and blur and the peculiarities of human visual perception.

The dev motherh said himself that it was 2xAA. N'gai said in his article that the devs had said to him that it was 4xAA, and in this case I'll take the devs own words as the correct one (2xAA). Perhaps the "middle-hand" N'gai got it wrong or may it be so that the devs do not talk with each other as much as they should? :)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1033989&postcount=647.html

It's the fact when a game was indicated by Marketting, Media, and Fanboys to be the "Best game ever see"… when you proclame to be the best, you have to prove it… and the criticals would be more strong…
Killzone 2 seems to be a be a good game, but 'cause of its Buzz it become a not so good than promise … many games had the same history…

Good post, reflects reality IMO. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Like someone else mentioned, if you want to look for aliasing you need to look at a 720p video stream and not screen shots that were downsized to non-native resolution.

Looking at the 720p trailer on my PS3, you can see the aliasing in certain places. It still looks nice and smooth for the most part, due to heavy use of DoF, motion blur, and low-contrast colors (the same things Gears of War used to cover up aliasing!). There was also some talk earlier in this thread about the possibility of using an actual line-drawing algorithm to draw cables and suspended wires.

Looks to me like there are a lot of factors that contribute to clean edges:

1) Very low contrast edges. When we do see higher contrast, sometimes you do see jaggies, and sometimes a little HDR bloom is covering it up.

2) Film grain adds noise to the picture, making it harder for jaggies to stand out

3) A nice post-processing filter. I don't see a lot of fine details, and we don't have a pre-processed reference, so there could be some blur (possibly selective).

Like someone else mentioned, if you want to look for aliasing you need to look at a 720p video stream and not screen shots that were downsized to non-native resolution.

Looking at the 720p trailer on my PS3, you can see the aliasing in certain places. It still looks nice and smooth for the most part, due to heavy use of DoF, motion blur, and low-contrast colors (the same things Gears of War used to cover up aliasing!). There was also some talk earlier in this thread about the possibility of using an actual line-drawing algorithm to draw cables and suspended wires.

But I saw a lot of jaggies in Gears.

Dude Gears was'nt smooth at all and its certainly no were near as smooth KZ2 in the jaggies department. Gears looked quite horrid in places.

Dude, not in my house on my HDTV in motion it didn't.

more games are now using 4xAA as well (I'm seeing them on the 360 now) but the little tricks that Gears and KZ use, hide the aliasing pretty well IMO.

Back