First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

the shoddy textures are affected by a motion blur bug so says GG. not all lights are static in the game, from most of wat i seen so far are dynamic and the shadow movements are some of the best. they can certainly smooth out the softshadows abit more though.

That´s not true, just look at this screenshot:
bscap031.jpg

Most of the light I´ve seen are static (just the fact that they have static light is bad IMO) and the shadow movements may be some of the best ever on a PS3 but certainly not the best over all.
Yeah they could try to smooth them out but I do not think that would help so much. The shadow resolution is low that´s why they are like they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
one can argue how many static lights were shown in the trailer, but i would hold the claim till the killzone tech talk which would b on 24th-28th july?

Most of the light I´ve seen are static (just the fact that they have static light is bad IMO)

i'd very much like you to show me that :)

Every light in the shot you posted are dynamic ,you understand that, ain't you ?

its static but its weird.
If its really static then why does it cast on the soldier lower arm?

they are using many sources and some seem to be missing, like the soldier in the background that doesn't have a shadow but half his body is covered in shadow from the walls above...

it doesnt hav to b a motion blur effect, could it just b some buggy code from it thats causing the pixelation if any. but nontheless they promised to fix it up in the end thats wat matters.

Dude. You can see pixelation, its no motion blur bug, its shoddy textures.

Motion blur bug makes it look worse than it is in some places, but it doesn't make the textures resize themselves into shoddy resolutions.

i seriously dont c the pixelation ur talking about. any game can hav that kinda of look if u view a wall texture really close. granted it's not the highest resolution but the overall look and feel is good nuf for me to pass the flaws.

I've seen some HD gameplay videos yesterday and this game is really looking stunning! Best looking console fps to date. There also is nothing wrong with most of the textures and this is only some alpha build. I'm keeping a close eye on this one.

is that pillar a part of the destructible objects ?..

If it does look like that after a couple of rounds fired at it.. I'm mean better put in some more gameplay elements rather than just skip them and pump up the graphics.

Those sholdiers are partially in shadows, if shadows are static this means they precomputed and stored shadow volumes, or more likely that shadows are not static for that light, shadow maps get recomputed every frame.
Tipically you generate a shadow per each light as it would too costy and most of the times it's not worth the cost (ie. no one really notice), I'd say that once you have a shadow generated by your keylight an additional shadow casted by a secondary light is all you need in the vast majority of cases/games.

That´s not true, just look at this screenshot:
bscap031.jpg

Most of the light I´ve seen are static (just the fact that they have static light is bad IMO) and the shadow movements may be some of the best ever on a PS3 but certainly not the best over all.
Yeah they could try to smooth them out but I do not think that would help so much. The shadow resolution is low that´s why they are like they are.

And whats wrong with that image when CoD4 and other great looking games are infested with similarly low res textures?

And how do you know that this image has static lighting? In the trailer you clearly see that circled part with the textures having dynamic lighting.

And whats wrong with that image when CoD4 and other great looking games are infested with similarly low res textures?

And how do you know that this image has static lighting? In the trailer you clearly see that circled part with the textures having dynamic lighting.

That picture showed lack of shadows, not the worst textures. If my PC allowed me to take pictures of movies, id show you some shoddy textures.

Just look at the trailers. The dropship sequence, look at the dropship floor

Aww man!!

What happened to this thread?

It's gone back to boring convo about KZ's texture quality?

Can't we continue the tessalation discussion (or maybe in another thread..) please?

:idea:

Forget the whole textures and shadows discussion, that Hellghast has no toes!

You know whenever I come across these types of threads that are extremely critical and start nitpicking at every little detail in screen shots, I can't help but think that maybe Nintendo made the right choice. You can spend 20+ million dollars to appease the hardcore gamer only to get torn apart in forums, or you can be Nintendo and have a sports game where the players have no limbs and no animations, but you get worshiped for providing such a quality product. I have to admit, I never thought it would have come to this ;)

I'll say this much. I don't think screen shots are the be-all way to determine if a game will look good anymore. I mean sure, in the days of Yars Revenge the screen shot meant everything. But today you really and truly need to see it in motion to get a good feel for it. My 2 cents anyways.

Just look at the trailers. The dropship sequence, look at the dropship floor
Jesus christ.

These consoles have less than HALF A GIG for EVERYHING. That meands levels and sounds and 3D models and progrm code AND textures.

And you complain about the floor in a dropship? Ok so they make the dropship floor look GREAT. Now which other textures should they skimp on that won't set yopu off on a similar complaint about that?

Next you might want to think about how much gameplay time exactly you actualyl spend with your nose pressed up close to some object or other.

And if you have time to get annoyed over how terrible the textures are. Or if your're too busy playing the game instead.

World of warcraft has the blurriest textures in any major game on sale right now yet they have 6.5+ million subscribers.

And don't drag up the "this is a technical board!" counter-argument to that because the consoles don't have enough memory alright. Can we drop this shit no?w

*Edit: Joker - you're my hero!

Peace.

Ok, lets look at the positive side.
Do you guys think the AA in this game is insane? I don't see any single jaggy in this game. How can this be possible?

You know whenever I come across these types of threads that are extremely critical and start nitpicking at every little detail in screen shots, I can't help but think that maybe Nintendo made the right choice. You can spend 20+ million dollars to appease the hardcore gamer only to get torn apart in forums, or you can be Nintendo and have a sports game where the players have no limbs and no animations, but you get worshiped for providing such a quality product. I have to admit, I never thought it would have come to this ;)

I'll say this much. I don't think screen shots are the be-all way to determine if a game will look good anymore. I mean sure, in the days of Yars Revenge the screen shot meant everything. But today you really and truly need to see it in motion to get a good feel for it. My 2 cents anyways.

man i totally agreed with you but some people on this board love to pick the worst screenshot of a game that they dont like and nit pick the hell out of it.

let me try i give you nitpicker this screenshot of the same game and see whether you can nit pick it or not.

killzone-ps3-20060113104821593.jpg

:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
those screenshots are sick! really makes me feel like playing a CG movie. and i cant find much if any shoddy textures either. cant wait for more levels.

Back