First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

:| I think you just wiped out the entire FPS genre, arcade racers and off-road racers. It sounds like you like racing sims with customization only.

Oh i was just as harsh on Gears as well if you wanted to search back far enough. I think console gamers in general roll over far too easily and will accept anything like its the proverbial second coming of christ (of fps of course) as long as it looks good. I just dont think console FPS's have done jack squat for the most part and would really like to see the developers put work into gameplay mechanics rather then bragging about the stupid poly count of any given peice of the world. As i said a week or two ago, whats this game going to do that Gears or Resistance hasnt done? Being a simple solid FPS, especially with a cookie cutter story like it was torn straight from some bad 1970s sci fi movie, doesnt really mean a whole lot these does.

Perhaps you dislike MotorStorm but your comments are inaccurate. It supports online for one.

Not for all regions it didnt (JP), at least when it shipped. Dont forget no splitscreen either. The rest is subjective, like so much, however if you're a racing game connoisseur then Motorstorm really was all about looking good far before being a superb, or certainly not unique, racing game. Try comparing something like Forza to Motorstorm is very much like comparing apples to oranges.

Oh i was just as harsh on Gears as well if you wanted to search back far enough. I think console gamers in general roll over far too easily and will accept anything like its the proverbial second coming of christ (of fps of course) as long as it looks good. I just dont think console FPS's have done jack squat for the most part and would really like to see the developers put work into gameplay mechanics rather then bragging about the stupid poly count of any given peice of the world. As i said a week or two ago, whats this game going to do that Gears or Resistance hasnt done? Being a simple solid FPS, especially with a cookie cutter story like it was torn straight from some bad 1970s sci fi movie, doesnt really mean a whole lot these does.

Not for all regions it didnt (JP), at least when it shipped. Dont forget no splitscreen either. The rest is subjective, like so much, however if you're a racing game connoisseur then Motorstorm really was all about looking good far before being a superb, or certainly not unique, racing game. Try comparing something like Forza to Motorstorm is very much like comparing apples to oranges.

Why does a game have to necessarily bring something new to be considered a good experience? Resistance/Halo, pretty much any FPS didn't really bring anything new, but it is still a fun experience. They evolved the 'experience' which I'm sure KZ will do as well.

And as for Motorstorm. It is pretty, but it is also a superb racing experience and as of late, it is quite a refreshing and can almost say, unique racing experience ... certainly more unique than Forza surely ?

Oh i was just as harsh on Gears as well if you wanted to search back far enough. I think console gamers in general roll over far too easily and will accept anything like its the proverbial second coming of christ (of fps of course) as long as it looks good.

I just dont think console FPS's have done jack squat for the most part and would really like to see the developers put work into gameplay mechanics rather then bragging about the stupid poly count of any given peice of the world.

...or lighting effects. :)

I am with you here (read my last few posts). But console gamers are always looking for eye candy regardless of genre. So I don't understand why FPS is singled out.

GG hinted that weather is a possible gameplay element. From the trailer, they also have sufficient foundation to do a convincing story telling in FPS view. According to the IGN hands on, KZ implements a first person cover system (as opposed to third person view). So again, I don't see why one would accuse KZ as a plain-jane FPS. Much is not known about the game yet even though it is rich in potentials today.

There are other games such as CoD4 that seem to be more old school FPS at that. I don't think it's wrong per se though.

As i said a week or two ago, whats this game going to do that Gears or Resistance hasnt done? Being a simple solid FPS, especially with a cookie cutter story like it was torn straight from some bad 1970s sci fi movie, doesnt really mean a whole lot these does.

See above. You don't seem to have read the articles on KZ, so I'll just leave the discussion as that.

Still... no split screen doesn't mean no online. In fact, MotorStorm online was featured in this E3 in the Playstation Home integration segment. So your original post about MotorStorm was subjective and inaccurate.

MotorStorm is more than visual enhancements. IMHO, it represents the best in offroad racing physics. I have tried it on my non-gamer friends, they all like it more than the "regular" racers. It's wild and fun. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diffuse reflections? That's featured in some global illumation algorithms like radiosity. Isn't that asking for too much?
'Proper' solutions is probably asking a bit much, but work-arounds are plausible in some cases. We don't know what's doable, but a number of devs have talked up this indirect illumination. LBP shows the most convincing results yet. Fantasy Lab are claiming to have a realtime solver. KZ2 is supposed to have something...at least different to baked on lightmaps and direct lights.

MotorStorm is more than visual enhancements. IMHO, it represents the best in offroad racing physics. I have tried it on my non-gamer friends, they all like it more than the "regular" racers. It's wild and fun. That's all there is to it.

As I said in another thread:

As far as knocking MotorStorm, it's still a 12 player multiplayer online game with graphics and physics, with excellent sixaxis support and multiple routes with different terrains which suit very different types of vehicles.

Some good info from N'Gai: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...exclusive-expanded-details-on-killzone-2.aspx

When ter Heide turned the post-processing effects back on, we finally understood the uneasy feeling that the level evoked within us; their careful real-time calibration of the game's light, shadow and color--"we replace the sunnier colors with darker, grittier colors," says ter Heide--combined with the art direction and level design to create the oppressive gloom that they wanted. "The planet is meant to be hostile," said de Jonge. "The desaturated colors suit it." We hope that SCE and Guerrilla eventually release some video footage showing the difference that their post-processing effects make, because you have to see it to believe it. And from what sources in the know tell us, it's a similar special sauce that has Activision and Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare looking similarly hot.

There's practically not a jagged line to be found on the power lines, or any other lines, for that matter; we're told it's because Killzone 2 is using the Cell's SPUs and the RSX graphics chip to achieve 4x full-screen anti-aliasing.

Check it out.

Also check out his preview: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...orld-exclusive-first-killzone-2-hands-on.aspx

'Proper' solutions is probably asking a bit much, but work-arounds are plausible in some cases. We don't know what's doable, but a number of devs have talked up this indirect illumination. LBP shows the most convincing results yet. Fantasy Lab are claiming to have a realtime solver. KZ2 is supposed to have something...at least different to baked on lightmaps and direct lights.

I wonder if they will have the 'spare power' to do some kind of indirect lighting solution since many lightsources in the demonstration where static. There was quite some static lightsources visible in the gameplay section of the demonstration and no shadows where cast from either objects or characters when standing in the lightspot.
But I'll guess we have to wait for some more information. :smile:

Ive watched the videos of COD4 and im really not impressed with it as some as you are. I much prefer the dark grittyness of KZ2.

Ive watched the videos of COD4 and im really not impressed with it as some as you are. I much prefer the dark grittyness of KZ2.

I think the lightning in CoD4 is superior to the one in KZ2.
KZ2 has to many static lights and shadows, it just doesnt look right.
The characters in CoD4 seem to be more detailed (atleast the enemies).
So far I think CoD4 is the best looking console game (Xbox360 vers.) so far.;)

KZ2 has to many static lights and shadows, it just doesnt look right.

Now i think the oposite :???: Some maps have COD4 have lots of dynamic lights and other levels have more static lights, it varies from level to level. I think its best to wait for more KZ2 levels to be shown before we discuss just how dynamic KZ2's lights are.

Now i think the oposite :???: Some maps have COD4 have lots of dynamic lights and other levels have more static lights, it varies from level to level. I think its best to wait for more KZ2 levels to be shown before we discuss just how dynamic KZ2's lights are.

Really:?: I have not noticed any static lights/shadows in CoD4 (hope they have only dynamic shadows/lightning on PC).
Anyways I like the lighning in CoD4 better because it is much more realistic and guess only a few lights are dynamic in CoD4 (many realtime shadows in the game).

Really:?: I have not noticed any static lights/shadows in CoD4 (hope they have only dynamic shadows/lightning on PC).
Anyways I like the lighning in CoD4 better because it is much more realistic and guess only a few lights are dynamic in CoD4 (many realtime shadows in the game).

I am shure COD4 has static lighs to, but there may not be many of them or none in areas where things are supposed to cast shadows on everything (sniper scene video?).

I agree though with almighty that we have to wait and see other levels and KZ2 is pre-alpha so they may replace the static lights with dynamic in the final (atleast some perhaps).

I wonder if they will have the 'spare power' to do some kind of indirect lighting solution since many lightsources in the demonstration where static. There was quite some static lightsources visible in the gameplay section of the demonstration and no shadows where cast from either objects or characters when standing in the lightspot.
But I'll guess we have to wait for some more information. :smile:

newkillzone9.jpg

The hellgast soldier firing light casts the own soldier shadow all over the place!! notice the helmet shape in the ceiling!

from Neogaf....again. :LOL:

is that what you called indirect lighting?

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/newkillzone9.jpg

from Neogaf....again. :LOL:

is that what you called indirect lighting?

I didn't say all lightsources where static, but some are (learn to not take things out of context). And the players weapon when fired acts as a dynamic lightsource. I'll upload some images showing different places where there are static lights (hold on!).

Edit: Are you talking about indirect lighting or answering my post about static lighting?

Back