First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

How on earth did they achieve that freaking detail, such awesome animations, such physics, such weather effects in a matter of 2 YEARS!!

Do we have any confirmation that they've only had two years? Early ps3 dev kits had a working cell and a gpu very similar to rsx in 2004.

Either way, Sony obviously put great emphasis on this title and backed it with proper funding.

Bravo on the results so far.

just a question since I havent watched this marvel of technology yet, is there any gameplay footage or is all real time trailer?

I think some people need to get a grip in here (on both sides of the fence).

It looks fairly good overall and that's all I'm going to say in that regard.

just a question since I havent watched this marvel of technology yet, is there any gameplay footage or is all real time trailer?
It's trailer, the intro sequence somewhat similar in scope to the E305 trailer, and then once the marines land, it's cuts into a montage of different scenes with a mix of effects and quality. No realtime gameplay demo yet.

It's trailer, the intro sequence somewhat similar in scope to the E305 trailer, and then once the marines land, it's cuts into a montage of different scenes with a mix of effects and quality. No realtime gameplay demo yet.

Well, some of the clips in that montage are clearly from gameplay..

If you're asking if we have a video of the live playthrough, then no, we don't.

You might be right, however the Killzone Dev on Sony forums did state that the screen shot and build was from last saturday and was "pre-pre-alpha" stage, so it seems to be consistant (especally with the huge drubbing he was getting over the leaked screenshot).

It would be foolish to pretend to be someone else and not study that person and read what he/she writes before the 'faking', right? ;)

This is a more technical forum and I think most people here are able to detect smoke and mirrors 'effect', but enough from me! ;)

The game looks good even great but if you take a moment to go throught the thread and read pos and neg remarks from the game then you see it is quite a bit away from CGI (E3'05 CGI). This doesn't make it ugly becouse it still looks good.
So a few peoples words conclude an arguement that is based entirely on the (subjective) visual fidelity of the game's footage?

That's a rather strange means of developing an oppinion.. :???:

Overall I'm very impressed and can clearly see where Nesh's excitement/bewilderment comes from.. The game really works hard to leverage the art style, gritty immersive feel, animations, lighting and sound to truely encapsulate the viewer in something that comes dangerous close to "that cgi trailer"..

I'd say it paid off big time and it's really more of a testament to prove that in order to get the best out of the consoles hardware you really need to aim for the sky and run at your goal full pelt, and before you know it you'll realise that your higher than many/anyone has ever been before (even if you don't make heaven)..;)

I'd say it paid off big time and it's really more of a testament to prove that in order to get the best out of the consoles hardware you really need to aim for the sky and run at your goal full pelt, and before you know it you'll realise that your higher than many/anyone has ever been before (even if you don't make heaven)..;)

Agreed. If perfection is your aim, you're a lot more likely to reach it.

Reminds me of the old "aiming higher" thread...

Overall I'm very impressed and can clearly see where Nesh's excitement/bewilderment comes from.. The game really works hard to leverage the art style, gritty immersive feel, animations, lighting and sound to truely encapsulate the viewer in something that comes dangerous close to "that cgi trailer"..
I'd say the artistic achievement is noteworthy. They have captured the feel of the E305 trailer in their animations and visual effects. The graphics engine, the rendering side of it, is is as yet uncertain. If the graphics are all close-quarters, Guerilla don't seem to be getting more from PS3 than other devs. They're instead refocussing the available performance to get higher detail at a cost of lower scope. If however they add their realtime AO lighting, that will be impressive, and the game will look a whole load better.

Oh don't get me wrong Titano I agree with you to be honest i thought it was coming from the same KZ dev that was wrighting on the Sony boards at first. Just that what the "insider" is saying doesn't sound totally outragous either (remember the 1/3 animations in final game for uncharted from devs?). Something to keep in mind until some type of clarification is seen.

The game looks good even great but if you take a moment to go throught the thread and read pos and neg remarks from the game then you see it is quite a bit away from CGI (E3'05 CGI). This doesn't make it ugly becouse it still looks good.
The camera postitions are well chosen, the darkness makes it hard to see how much or how detailed things are except what is in the light.
Scripted events help to immerse the viewer (falling fireballs, explosion in distance and such) besides the immersive sound. :smile:

I know what you are saying. I ve read some of the earlier posts. Yeah the images do show some shortcomings. Thats why I didnt seem very impressed initially and didnt comment. Some textures for example are blurred, characters are obviously made out of less polygons than the CGI, shadows are missing.

Putting each other in direct comparison (The original trailer with this) will show me many differences in overall quality compared to the original CGI trailer. Well indeed it is not the same quality of the CGI trailer. And I did not imply it is of the same quality.

But despite the shortcomings that I saw in the images when I saw it in motion it was still too good. The shortcomings that I saw in the images which were ofcourse taken from the same exact video are well hidden, the animation and other effects are so well used, that they didnt matter at the end. I couldnt notice them although they were there in most cases. I still see the blurred textures with closer attention of the video, and the low res shadows are also there but I am still extremely amazed by the visual quality. It could be art, it could be technical achievrment it could be both.

At least in my personal eyes it looks near CGI. Not perfect but good enough for me.

Whatever it is it is not the method that I see. It is the overall quality that my eyes saw in that traler.

I know I am probably a little carried away from the excitement but this game impressed me more than anything I ve seen. Probably it is just me, probably it is because I am not picky, or because I am not looking too hard for "flaws".

Now I am not trying to convince anyone here that it is the best thing ever and I am not going to fight over it because I do realize the few visual flaws in it. But well I cant help it but express my impression.

I see, you = right, everyone else = wrong. :LOL:

Is that directed at me? I am right about what? :???:

Am I missing something.....people seem to be neglecting that the graphics are part of the total package even though it's been underlined plenty of times from the impressions of the journalists there. You've got what seems to be destructable environments, full out battle grounds and a host of intelligent enemy AI while animations are top notch and very realistic.

The visual fidelity in conjunction with all of the things going on is really remarkable and what sets it apart from the norm. There's no mistaking that you can be fooled that this is CG footage we're looking at, so I'd say they were certainly successful in their goals.

Am I missing something.....people seem to be neglecting that the graphics are part of the total package even though it's been underlined plenty of times from the impressions of the journalists there. You've got what seems to be destructable environments, full out battle grounds and a host of intelligent enemy AI while animations are top notch and very realistic.

The visual fidelity in conjunction with all of the things going on is really remarkable and what sets it apart from the norm. There's no mistaking that you can be fooled that this is CG footage we're looking at, so I'd say they were certainly successful in their goals.

Thank you sir !

Another thank you from me

thats rightfully right! a game can look awsome, but if it moves, reacts and plays awsome then it's a much bigger deal.

thats rightfully right! a game can look awsome, but if it moves, reacts and plays awsome then it's a much bigger deal.

Agreed.

If KZ2 lives up to the story/gameplay/AI (aka the total package) it will likely dethrown the Halo franchise and reestablish ps3 is the pinnacle of this generation.

From what I've seen it looks pretty awesome, the texture detail is not the highest, but personally I think that's overrated anyways.

Lighting, animations, special FX and AI make the biggest difference, and KZ seems to be pulling those off for sure.

The only question now, is will the gameplay live up to the GFX, can they make a better game than they did last time?

I wouldn't say Sony redeemed themselves from the CG trailer, all I'll say is that KZ2 looks excellent.

Looks impressive so far. Although we've only seen a limited amount (in short bursts). As patsu and others have said, hopefully we'll get a vid of the playthrough.

The playstation blog has this up...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/10/inside-the-developers-studio-hermen-hulst/

An interview with one of the GG guys. Nothing too insightful (from my quick glance) but may be worth a look.

The link embedded in the blog is to Kotaku. Given their history I found it amusing. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back