First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Look at the articulated individual finger tips on the hellgast. Look at the buckles on his packs. Look at the details on the helmet and face mask.
I agree both the pack and the mask look very good, but don't think it is more difficult than human face.
I was particularly referring to edges of fabric clothing where bump-mapping fails (in any game).

edit - and as per the new E3 rules, guys, be very careful about name-checking games in your comparisons. Generalise if you can.

What rules? No comparison?

I didn't see it at first, but as someone pointed out on Eurogamer, it's not a shadow! :oops:

Seems like a demo of the destructable environment after all. The shape of the edges of the 'shadow' make more sense now. You can see the lighting model catch just a hint of the wall of the exposed room in the back, and you can see different textures and detail of the room behind, with rubble to the right.

The choice of this shot makes more sense now. Clever!

EDIT: or hmm, maybe not. Some of the spots on the wall continue in the shadow, so I guess it's just a shadow that doesn't kill off all the detail.

Yes it seems more like a shadow, see this image which is brighter.
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6396/killzone2screenshot1bx3.jpg

Motherh tracker reporting:

1. Can you coment on what sort of build this is..like pre-alpha or beta?

2. Will there be opportunities for improvements for things like self-shadowing and shadow aliasing etc...?

1. Pre-pre alpha.
2. Please wait to see more content before judging it.

neogaf.

You don not make a game for casuals when your box costs $600. Simple as that.

They know exactly who their market is.

First impressions are everything.

Those who want the box at their preferred price point are not blind to developments today. They are attaching a stigma to it that they will find very hard to shake off. The price point is fixable, destroying what your brand stands for is not.

That would be true if they were only spending on Killzone, perhaps ;)

I would posit that they shouldn't be spending this sort of money on KillZone (rumoured to have an astronomical budget) but instead spending it on trying to obtain some 3rd party exclusives of known franchises, you know like their competitors have been doing. I don't agree with their biased first-party strategy at all, I think it's total suicide.

But yeah I don't wanna derail the thread, so back on topic

I don't think you can tell much from this screenshot of one model against a wall. The game should be judged by how it looks in motion.

motherh
Dev Team

Message 104 of 107
Viewed 93 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MasterCharged wrote:
so motherh correct me if im wrong.
this picture is early built because you guys didn't want USA today to still your thunder at E3. but for an early built pic it looks awesome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't really comment on this one.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

A New hope.

Also, where is all the light coming from if it's a reflection.

That question remains.
If the left shoulder of Heighast guy is casting visible shadow on the wall (as in Nebula's illustration), the light source should be in front of the camera very close to the guy.

If the light source is actually the bullet ,it's quite very promising ,i'd say.

I think it may be gun fire, but still weird since I don't see any other effect.

That question remains.
If the left shoulder of Heighast guy is casting visible shadow on the wall (as in Nebula's illustration), the light source should be in front of the camera very close to the guy.

I think it may be gun fire, but still weird since I don't see any other effect.

Looks to me like its the flashlight under the player's gun.

I think the orange thingy probably is a bullet decal, or bullet decal in transition - the shot was apparently taken just after a bullet hit the wall on the left - but I doubt it's the (dominant) light source in the scene, if one at all. The GDC demo apparently featured some structures being riddled with bullet holes, and light pouring in through them from outside, but it wasn't explicit as to whether those light shafts actually affected the dynamic lighting of the scene or not. It would be sweet if they did, but that might be a tech-whore fantasist interpretation of what was described of the GDC demo.

edit - here's the dev from the playstation boards on the light source in the room:

Yes that room is pretty dark to begin with. And the light source is from the muzzle-flash. It looks a lot better in movement. As for the rest, no comment at this stage.

I'm reserving judgement until more media is available, but considering what Sony "promised" at E3 2 years ago, this screenshot is quite underwhelming. Wait and see I guess...

The only thing I don't like in that picture is the low res texturing on everything. I need to see more to judge it better. This as it stands can't be compared with those 3D screen shots bungie released the other day. For now we need more screens of this game to compare to...

That makes the most sense. Doesn't explain the weird helmet lighting on the baddie but that's undoubtedly creative license. :)

Weird that they'd show off a "pre-pre-alpha" tonight since this is pretty much a make or break title for the PS3 given the amount of hysteria the rendered trailer generated, but I'm sure it'll look better in motion where you can't pick apart the flaws as easily. I think instead of the cataclysmic meltdown that everyone predicted we'll probably see the various camps taking away what they want from the presentation.

That's what I thought at first. The shadow of the right side of the guy is consistent with flashlight under the gun or around the belt but left side's shadow is very big for that (if it is indeed shadow).
Also there is the darkness behind legs.

Weird that they'd show off a "pre-pre-alpha" tonight since this is pretty much a make or break title for the PS3 given the amount of hysteria the rendered trailer generated, but I'm sure it'll look better in motion where you can't pick apart the flaws as easily. I think instead of the cataclysmic meltdown that everyone predicted we'll probably see the various camps taking away what they want from the presentation.

They are only showing it tonight because USA Today broken the embargo and released a tiny low quality version of this scene. Releasing the full size version of the image was just damage control.

Tomorrow the full batch of screen shots as well as other media should be publicly released.

Maybe this was the least violent shot or the only one out of the batch that USA Today could actually use.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I thought at first. The shadow of the right side of the guy is consistent with flashlight under the gun or around the belt but left side's shadow is very big for that (if it is indeed shadow).
Also there is the darkness behind legs.

I am very shure that it is a shadow, look at the image below and the red rings. See how wallmarks goes into the shaded wallpart.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/NebulasPhotoPocket/killzone2screenRedRings.jpg

motherh
Dev Team

Message 104 of 107
Viewed 93 times

MasterCharged wrote:
so motherh correct me if im wrong.
this picture is early built because you guys didn't want USA today to still your thunder at E3. but for an early built pic it looks awesome.

I can't really comment on this one.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

A New hope.

According to the dev it is from the latest build which still is pre-pre-alpha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back