X360 price drop speculation

pipo

Veteran
So, what do we think MS will do? Will they match Sony? Wait until late Q4?

I'm guessing 50 (USD/EUR) now and another 50 later this year...

Wtih the 3 year warranty, not likely before the end of 2007 don't you think?

I didnt get that impression from the conference call transcript and I doubt MS would jeopardize their position of 'market leader' due to the reliability issues. There really is too much at stake at this point for them to sacrifice what would be installed base to pinch a few pennies (even if it is one hundred billion pennies).

There has to be a price cut this year, the only question is if it will before or after Halo 3. Do they go with the double whammy of Halo 3 + cheaper console or do they ride the Halo 3 wave at the higher price point then get another bump later on?

If MS drags their feet longer (I wouldn't be surprised), I would be very disappointed. Their wanting to make a profit so much has really put themselves in this position. Early to market = faulty hardware. PS3's high price = no price drop for 1.5 years. Price increase = Elite!

MS has to step up and step up now. They are banking on games too much, they have the best lineup this fall for sure but at high console prices, it's very limiting their potential.

Drop the price at least $70 across the board and do it tomorrow.

If MS drags their feet longer (I wouldn't be surprised), I would be very disappointed. Their wanting to make a profit so much has really put themselves in this position. Early to market = faulty hardware. PS3's high price = no price drop for 1.5 years. Price increase = Elite!

MS has to step up and step up now. They are banking on games too much, they have the best lineup this fall for sure but at high console prices, it's very limiting their potential.

Drop the price at least $70 across the board and do it tomorrow.

Agreed.

Though I think $50 will be nice across the board.

$250 puts them neck and neck with Wii. (add a memcard in the mix or pgr3 and it's very compelling)

$350 for prem is more comfortable for prospective buyers.

$400 for elite would be fair and still comfortably cheaper than ps3 though they may decide to only drop this one $30 which would still put it $50 cheaper than ps3 but still making a nice profit.

How about the Elite comes down to 399 and gets wifi, the core stays at 299 but gets a hard drive and wireless controller, premium goes away. HD-DVD add-on drops to 149. IMO, thats the bare minimum. In the absence of a HD for the core, it should go to at least 249, ideally lower.

They need to drop a SKU, three is too many. Maybe a new core and premium, both with HDs and HDMI. $279 and $379.

Agreed.

Though I think $50 will be nice across the board.

$250 puts them neck and neck with Wii. (add a memcard in the mix or pgr3 and it's very compelling)

$350 for prem is more comfortable for prospective buyers.

$400 for elite would be fair and still comfortably cheaper than ps3 though they may decide to only drop this one $30 which would still put it $50 cheaper than ps3 but still making a nice profit.

This analyst agrees with you:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6299&Itemid=2

Well, if they didi announce one tomorrow then the kept it under wraps better than Sony. I wonder if this will be a surprise to retailers if it does happen.

Given their actions it seems to me Sony is expecting something, I'm basing this purely on the fact that the announced there price cut prior to the MS conference rather than waiting for their conference later in the week.

But these things usually leak, so maybe not.

They need to drop a SKU, three is too many. Maybe a new core and premium, both with HDs and HDMI. $279 and $379.

All they really need to do imo is this:
  • Go into October (when GTA releases) with a $199 core, a memory card at $20 and HDD at $50.
You have 17million consumers who want to play GTA4, they would have the option at $199+$20 for memory card, vs $399 (at best) for the PS3.

MS could just sit back and watch as they reach near record holiday sales.

I can see the price drop on the core and premiums, but not the elite at this state if they are going to answer from Sony right away. I mean the elite only been out for a minimum of 3 months.

I think MS will bank on Halo 3 first then drop the price across all 3 sku's by Christmas. MS is ahead of Sony by roughly 7.5-8 million. They shouldn't be feeling pressure by them even though Sony took first initiative in price drops.

All they really need to do imo is this:
  • Go into October (when GTA releases) with a $199 core, a memory card at $20 and HDD at $50.
You have 17million consumers who want to play GTA4, they would have the option at $199+$20 for memory card, vs $399 (at best) for the PS3.

MS could just sit back and watch as they reach near record holiday sales.

So they are going to slash console prices by 33% and the HD add-on by 50%? Can I buy an Elite for $320 then? I'm sure their share holders would love to throw away all that profit along with $1B in RRoD repair so MS and can brag about holiday sales.

So they are going to slash console prices by 33% and the HD add-on by 50%? Can I buy an Elite for $320 then? I'm sure their share holders would love to throw away all that profit along with $1B in RRoD repair so MS and can brag about holiday sales.

Sony dropped the price of the PS2 $100 (33%) after 18 months, a record at the time for longest without a pricedrop. 360 has been out for nearly 20 months now without a pricedrop...

July 9, 2007 -
"We're not surprised by Sony's reaction to the market," a Microsoft representative told us. "We'll see if it makes a difference. It's interesting to note that they've significantly dropped their price in the first eight months while Xbox 360 has continued to sell well at our launch price for more than a year and a half. We're right where we want to be right now -- it's all about choice and bringing the best games and entertainment to homes around the world."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/802/802394p1.html

So they are going to slash console prices by 33% and the HD add-on by 50%?
The HD is seriously over priced as is, and if you're aiming for the cheapest buyers, it's not going to sell much to them anyhow. Basically they only need a cheap core and memory card. The HDD can stay whatever price - those buying the Core probably don't care much for the extra functionality. As PS2 owning GTAers, they didn't care for online.

So they are going to slash console prices by 33%

Exactly like they did in spring 2002? Explain why that's so far fetched? (And I said by OCT not tomorrow)

and the HD add-on by 50%?

Why not? It's the most logical way to stimulate core sales.

I'm sure their share holders would love to throw away all that profit along with $1B in RRoD repair so MS and can brag about holiday sales.

Now you're just being intentially obtuse.

"Brag about holiday sales", yes Todd, that's really the only benefit to increasing your install base :rolleyes:

Perhaps MS shareholders might be happy to know they they have secured leadership of this generation of consoles until 2010 or beyond?? That's the effect this sort of move could have: Ms could open a gap that is virtually impossible for Sony to close.

I realize Wii may very well end up leader, so just assume I'm talking about Sony/360 exclsuively.

I don't think there is anyway for either of them to be as aggressive as scooby suggests in terms of pricing ($399 PS3 and $199 360).

Does anyone feel that if the price delta between the two becomes too great, it will serve to reinforce the notion that the PS3 is significantly more powerful because of its price, inducing people to wait for the PS3 to get down to their price point?

Back