the Darkness

Sis

mental_v-sync=off;
Veteran
[Note: the last thread about Darkness apparently got locked because of platform discussions. I'd like to keep this one platform agnostic please.]

Anyone else playing this game? I absolutely love it. The gunplay feels good (it's a FPS but not the frantic kind). Using the Darkness powers are fun. Checkpoints are well balanced. From a gameplay standpoint alone, I really dig this game.

But the best is found in the narrative: great voice acting, sharply written dialog, well crafted cut-scenes, and a dark atmosphere that the amazing visuals do justice to.

Seriously haven't an enjoyed a game this much in a long, long time.

Finished the game. Loved it. $60 well spent. Demon arm and black hole were certainly my favorites. Besides that, I tended to stick with my pistols.

Only really disappointing point... was that it wasn't Riddick 2.

Finished the game. Loved it. $60 well spent. Demon arm and black hole were certainly my favorites. Besides that, I tended to stick with my pistols.

Only really disappointing point... was that it wasn't Riddick 2.

How long did it take you to finish it? Trying to decide between rent or buy...

Demon arm and black hole were certainly my favorites. Besides that, I tended to stick with my pistols.
Yeah, i really dig the demon arm. Something very satisfying about impaling a bad guy then flinging them over a hundred feet away.

How long did it take you to finish it? Trying to decide between rent or buy...

I spent about 9 days on it. Should note that I had played through the single player on normal in 3 or 4, so the rest of it was spent getting collectibles, achievements (uh...), and playing through on hard.

If you don't care about sidequests, you can supposedly blow through in 6 hours. It probably took me about 10, but I was doing sidequests and exploring quite a bit. All told, probably put well over 20 hours into it.

Yep, this game kicks ass. I can see this being one of those single-player games that I'll play again and again and again....

It's good. My graphical qualms aside I need to vent about the controls. They're on the brink of being broken. First off, your demon arm hardly works half the time. I can't even tell you how many times I've tried to "devour heart" and it's just plain not responding. Is the tentacle even capable of killing live targets? I've only successfully skewered corpses. The only plausible usage I've gotten out of it was knocking lights out. And for some stupid reason the game is on easy mode due to auto aim. Is it possible to turn that off? It's really no fun to bust into a room only to have your crosshairs lock on to the nearest head in the room.... Look I know analog sticks are awful, but it's way too easy.

Now let's have a moment of silence fo my "Darkness" thread. It figures, the first thread I create that actually gets rated is locked.

It's good. My graphical qualms aside I need to vent about the controls. They're on the brink of being broken. First off, your demon arm hardly works half the time. I can't even tell you how many times I've tried to "devour heart" and it's just plain not responding. Is the tentacle even capable of killing live targets? I've only successfully skewered corpses. The only plausible usage I've gotten out of it was knocking lights out. And for some stupid reason the game is on easy mode due to auto aim. Is it possible to turn that off? It's really no fun to bust into a room only to have your crosshairs lock on to the nearest head in the room.... Look I know analog sticks are awful, but it's way too easy.

Now let's have a moment of silence fo my "Darkness" thread. It figures, the first thread I create that actually gets rated is locked.
The demon arm takes a bit of getting used to, but i got the hang of it last night and was using it to kill lots of enemies. And I like the autoaim--this game isn't a twitch FPS. The game play is fun and enjoyable, not really challenging, and the narrative pulls you along.

What didn't you like about the graphics? The further into the game the better they seem to get.

I've played it but found it pretty repetitive after awhile. Enter area,breaks lights, fight a few guy's very easily, rinse and repeat.

The game looks and sounds great and is very cinematic. Ok that's out of the way.

I feel the game really lacks polish.
Controls are not so great,the AI of the darklings is pretty bad, and the camera and controls when using the dark snake thing are terrible. To name a few things that pop up.
Overall I enjoyed it despite it's obvious flaws but it could have used some more dev time or play testing..

Thank you,I thought I was the only one. :oops:

The demon arm takes a bit of getting used to, but i got the hang of it last night and was using it to kill lots of enemies. And I like the autoaim--this game isn't a twitch FPS. The game play is fun and enjoyable, not really challenging, and the narrative pulls you along.

What didn't you like about the graphics? The further into the game the better they seem to get.

I'm a PC gamer...... I'll just say it was really jagged. To spare your thread encountering the same fate as mine I'll leave it at that.

The game gives you the option to adjust the auto-aim sensitivity, or just turn it off if you want.
I actually found the tentacle-thingy to be loads of fun. It misses every now and then, but impaling somebody and then flinging them through the air hasn't gotten old to me yet.

I just finished the game today. I'd say it was atleast10 solid hours of gameplay. I did do some side quests. The art direction is very close to Riddick, both being Starbreeze studio games, so it's no wonder. The darkness powers were fun to use and the last moments of the game were very stylish and kick ass.

Sometimes the snake was hard to control and sometimes the summoned minions were surprisingly useless and often times they didn't comply with my orders... The game also loads quite often, but on overall I'd say it's a very solid game and I highly recommend it.

I expected this to be way more interesting than it turned out to be (for me) in the demo.
Turning the lights out wherever I go slows done the pace of the game and otherwise doesn't seem to achieve anything beneficial to the gameplay equation. It's good for the atmosphere probably but quickly stops being satisfying. It's just a chore.
Felt the pistols were the best weapon to use, shotgun and uzis felt worthless.
Controls felt weird. I played Resistance a lot, and I think I can handle these things alright, but The Darkness had me struggling.

Character rendering is very good, but otherwise the graphics are just solid. I understand that the shadows are really expensive to render, but they don't make the game beautiful. With the (unsurprisingly) dark, desaturated art, I can respect the game technically, but it doesn't impress or even please me visually.

The FUD brigade did lie about the absence of motion blur btw. It's there. Anti-aliasing isn't. Bloom is there, and as irritating as ever. Some anisotropic filtering too, I believe.
The framerate is par for the course, but then again it isn't because stuff moves so fast. The per-frame motion is just too much on many occasions. In some places the fps drop for real as well (lots of dynamic lights I guess, like outside in the cemetary).

The demo contains the car ride (opening?) sequence with your two mafia pals, the cemetary level where Jackie gains the darkness powers, and a level where you break into a warehouse and burn a pile of cash. After seeing that through I really don't feel like playing the full game at all. The combat just doesn't hold my interest.

It has the most amazing main menu I've ever seen though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cool game. I can't help but feel that Riddick 2 would be so much better though. Issues that bothered me were the difficulty in controlling the arm, som fairly stupid A.I (but I'm kind of thankful since I am very bad at fps with controller), and the fact that the dark doesn't really hide you from enemies. I wish there were more opportunities to be stealthy. It seem that no matter how dark it is, enemies can see perfectly. But there I go describing Riddick 2 again (which can't come soon enough).

It has a knife fighting range. Get within 10-20 feet of somebody and they are dead. The main thing is that you can have a rifle and still take out a person up close.

See now that doesn't make sense considering you can use it to pick up cars and knock out lights from a distance of more than knife fighting range and yet you can't impale someone from more than knife fighting range? Poor inconsistent design then IMO.
Thanks for the tip though,I may replay the game at some point.

Back