Umbrella Chronicles Wii video.

it looks like capcom tried!

they were one of the first third parties to really try original games on 360 so hopefully third party support is going to improve. I mean it's supposedly having THREE times the power.

They also really knew how to push the Cube along. ^_^

They'll probably be able to get away with a lot of tricking' out, what with the "on rails" bit and all. (Not that Namco tries particularly hard with Time Crisis... But hey, Capcom's already got a lot of the art assets they want. ;) )

If done well,games like this(on rails) could actually end of being the most cinematic games IMO.
I was hesitant at first ,but then when you think about what cinema really does(tells a story) I realized that on rails while it takes away some freedom from the player it gives the developer more control over the storytelling process by of way of things like pacing and camera angles to name just two things important to the cinematic story telling process.

They'll probably be able to get away with a lot of tricking' out, what with the "on rails" bit and all.

Not sure what you mean by "tricking out". Are you talking graphics? Everything graphically is a trick,even the PS3 and 360 employ tricks to create the illusion of a real world.

The trick he is referring to is that on-rail games always have a definitive perspective with which the player will be able to play the game. That means that for whichever scene they render, they can optimize it accordingly because they can easily set a bounds on the maximum amount of computation required to render the scene at all times. Basically everything is scripted, so you don' t have to worry about defining cases with which the engine needs to perform under.

If done well,games like this(on rails) could actually end of being the most cinematic games IMO.
I was hesitant at first ,but then when you think about what cinema really does(tells a story) I realized that on rails while it takes away some freedom from the player it gives the developer more control over the storytelling process by of way of things like pacing and camera angles to name just two things important to the cinematic story telling process.
dude, it's resident evil. I like it when it's scary but the story and dialogue's always been cheesy and it's pretty cheesy in the trailer too. I REALLY like the style of the trailer though.

The trick he is referring to is that on-rail games always have a definitive perspective with which the player will be able to play the game. That means that for whichever scene they render, they can optimize it accordingly because they can easily set a bounds on the maximum amount of computation required to render the scene at all times. Basically everything is scripted, so you don' t have to worry about defining cases with which the engine needs to perform under.

I got that but how is that any different than for example making a PS3/360 with really small indoor levels so you can add super high detail to everything in the room as opposed to bigger outdoor levels with less detail? Different example but same concept.It's just optimizing to the games design,no different for Wii,PS3 or 360.
I've just never heard it referred to as "tricks" when talking about PS3/360 games.

I got that but how is that any different than for example making a PS3/360 with really small indoor levels so you can add super high detail to everything in the room as opposed to bigger outdoor levels with less detail? Different example but same concept.It's just optimizing to the games design,no different for Wii,PS3 or 360.
I've just never heard it referred to as "tricks" when talking about PS3/360 games.

It's about fixed camera angles. Every single on-rail shooters looks usually better than games featuring a fully interactive environment.

dude, it's resident evil. I like it when it's scary but the story and dialogue's always been cheesy and it's pretty cheesy in the trailer too. I REALLY like the style of the trailer though.

Ya I heard those cheesy voice overs :LOL: You get what I mean I hope. Putting aside the bad voice acting,the design of a game like this could be very cinematic in that it gives the director much more control over the story telling experience.

It's about fixed camera angles. Every single on-rail shooters looks usually better than games featuring a fully interactive environment.

Yes like I said I get that, it's just optimizing for the design of the game. It's no more a "trick" than what's done in any other game.

It looks very very good visually but a Resi game on rails sounds so not-Resident Evil.

It looks oversimplified in terms of gameplay with not so many things for you to do other than shoot on screen.

Looks like an advanced House of the Dead than a Resident Evil that takes the series into a different level.

In the case of this game it looks the same as RE4 so I think that point is moot.

I think it looks a bit better.

Besides even if that was the case and it looked like Resi4 in terms of quality I believe his point still stands. Its easier to reach some level of detail in such cases.

I think it looks a bit better.

Besides even if that was the case and it looked like Resi4 in terms of quality I believe his point still stands. Its easier to reach some level of detail in such cases.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem...of course the point still stands IN GENERAL but in THIS GAME it's moot since it doesn't look better than RE4. Now if you think it looks better than RE4 then support that asertion with evidence...IOW put up or shutup.

This is just re4 gfx. Also dont like that its onrail, im now playing re4 and its really cool to be able to walk around on yourself even though the game is really liniar and doesnt allow for alot of exploring. It add's a bit to the tension. Onrail this game wont have the tension re4 has and it will be just point 'n shoot and given how easy shooting is in re4 it could be real boring in Umbrella.

We've known for quite some time that this game was basically going to be a rail shooter. Where have you been?
Ofcourse I knew it was a shoot em up on rails. I even commented in an earlier thread on this.

I think you have a reading comprehension problem...of course the point still stands IN GENERAL but in THIS GAME it's moot since it doesn't look better than RE4. Now if you think it looks better than RE4 then support that asertion with evidence...IOW put up or shutup.

Just because you have an opinion that says "its moot because of that or this" or "doesnt look better" doesnt mean there is any lack of reading comprehension involved. You are the one who didnt comprehend StefanS's point to begin with. And mine too.

I also dont understand your intolerable behavior.:mad:

"IOW put up or shut up"? Where and WHO do you think you are?

If thats how you reply back on a simple post such as mine, you should get out of here. If you want to add something just add it and leave such remarks for someone else.

p.s If you were any better in reading comprehension you would have noticed that I did not claim that specifically UC looks like that because it is on rails (only the possibility not for a fact). And neither has StefanS. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok, RE4 didn't have as much realtime lighting, shadows, destructible environments, or light bloom. That was easy.

Back