Sony: PlayStation 3 price drop

I don't get what the hell is Sony waiting for a price-drop ... It must not be that hard to see the result , in both ways ...

Cause there's still no AAA title available till MGS4.
Sony needs a system seller title + price-drop to push sales.
Currently, there's still very few reasons to buy a ps3.
All current ps3 exclusives are either disappointing or lacking.
Maybe Uncharted will change this...

Where are the japanese support?
Who knows, maybe square-enix may just unveil ff13 for x360 exclusively this winter... :)

Motorstorm and Resistance are plenty AAA to me, particularly because their multiplayer is just so good.

they could easily just drop motorstorm from the bundle and sell it for, say, $50 less.

Sony would lose probably about $45 per unit sold (that's a pure guess on how much it actually costs for Sony to include the MotorStorm BR in the package) if they did that. That's not an easy decision at all, IMO.

How about this strategy, (presuming all 60 GB PS3s are sold out) 80GB PS3s sell for 1-2 weeks and then Sony drops its price to $399 and starts an advertising campaign claiming $200 price drop. ;)

How about this strategy, (presuming all 60 GB PS3s are sold out) 80GB PS3s sell for 1-2 weeks and then Sony drops its price to $399 and starts an advertising campaign claiming $200 price drop. ;)

There is 3-5 million unsold 60gb PS3's, so this will take a good while. At this rate, another year

Well Sony announced they have no more consoles in their Warehouse which makes you wonder the difference between previously shipped amounts and sold amounts or is there really that much in the retail market (and the amount was closer to 2 million I think it worked out to been a while since did that).

Well Sony announced they have no more consoles in their Warehouse which makes you wonder the difference between previously shipped amounts and sold amounts or is there really that much in the retail market (and the amount was closer to 2 million I think it worked out to been a while since did that).

Sony annouces alot of things. As do everybody else.

AFAIK Sony shipped 6 million or so until march. I find it hard to believe that they stopped production (which sony annouced themselves to be close to 1million\month) immediately afterwards.

AFAIK Sony has sold about 4-4.5 mill PS3's worldwide. That leaves quite a bit in warehouses.

does he mean in europe or worldwide? That could make it win in europe since you're saying it's a 200 dollar price drop in a less than a year.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/48777

Suggestion that Sony is raising money to fund a price drop.

Unreal.

I like their boldness if true. With that kind of hit (~3billion), they can drop to $300. At that price, they should be back in the game.

(6million units x $200 = 1.2billion (assuming break-even price point at $500))

Sales would likely continue at rapid pace after Christmas, but with such a scheme they could just offer mail-in rebates of $200 for this year and then adjust the price as necessary next year to avoid further substantial loses. Perhaps bringing the price back up to $500, or doing a minimal $50 pricedrop to $450 and then continue to ramp down the price as BOM reduces. It would certainly create a flurry this Christmas though!

Sony annouces alot of things. As do everybody else.

AFAIK Sony shipped 6 million or so until march. I find it hard to believe that they stopped production (which sony annouced themselves to be close to 1million\month) immediately afterwards.

AFAIK Sony has sold about 4-4.5 mill PS3's worldwide. That leaves quite a bit in warehouses.

Exactly.

Either Sony has some funny math, or they have a funny way of counting.

Bottom line, Sony hasn't sold anywhere near 6million units yet.

Back