Sony: PlayStation 3 price drop

When is Sony going to learn that a 599 dollar system won't sell? It doesn't matter how much more gimmicks you put into the value of a 599 machine, it won't sell because 599 is A LOT to burn. The 499 PS3 is good news but this 80 gig sku will not sell and become overstock. When developers, retailers and consumers are asking for a price drop I'm pretty sure that this is not what they had in mind.

I know people would buy a PS3 base on faith alone because it's Playstation. The games aren't the problem. The expense is.

Well considering the console has sold a few million to date I find your analysis hard to believe..

Sure it won't hit Wii-level monthly turnover but that's what the 60GB model is for now.. & at least for those who are interested in the top end model, they are going to be paying the same amount they wound have paid two days ago but with added value..

I think we should wait till E3 before we slag off sony... we dont know what else the 80gig version will offer? perhaps a "touch sense" controller? or bluetooth headset??

I'd like to see/hear the people who automatically call any lower-priced SKU a "tard pack".

If anything, currently, the 80GB model would be that pack :p

BTW, it seems like Europe may not be left out afterall, which is very surprising to me:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79169

Sony has told GamesIndustry.biz that a major announcement regarding the price of the European PS3 will be made on Thursday at its E3 conference.

Although unwilling to be drawn on specifics, a spokesperson did confirm that the announcement will be related to the price cut of the PS3 in North America, and the introduction of a new 80GB model.

Yay!!

:D

Actually I should probably reserve my celebrations until I hear exactly how much Sony are going to chop off the top of the 60 GB model..
:cry:

I'd be surprised if it is as much given that the system is only out a few months. Maybe a new bundle or something? I don't know, I guess we'll wait and see.

I'd be surprised if it is as much given that the system is only out a few months. Maybe a new bundle or something? I don't know, I guess we'll wait and see.

I am predicting a €100/£75 price reduction, thursday will be interesting. :cool:

I just read this:

The Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) reports that Sony will reduce the order amount for multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCCs) used in its its PlayStation3 (PS3) from Taiwan-based vendors by 50-60% during July and August.

The paper cited Japanese MLCC makers as projecting a sharp fall in PS3 MLCC orders, citing buoyant sales of the competing Wii game console from Nintendo. The makers, however, were also cited by the paper as saying that shipments may grow again in September as Sony plans for a PS3 price reduction later.
http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20070709PB200.html

Another interpretation is that Sony managed some serious component reduction in the PS3 design for the units going into production now, perhaps in combination with a move to 65 nm for the Cell and RSX.

Well at current exchange rates $100 price cut is actually less than £50. Problem is £50 will make no difference in the UK as loads of outlets are selling it for 399.99 as is. I reckon to actually shift significant unit numbers they have got to get it under the magicial £300 barrier. I just can't see it happeing in this round of price drops.

But the PS3 is seriously overpriced in EU as it is (in the UK anyway, £425 = $850), They should really try to get it to £350 which I make to be about 20% more than the US price (taking into account VAT) as that's a fairly common US-EU markup.

Having said that if the 80GB turns out to have rumble this could get really messy for Sony - people may hold off on buying the rumble-less 60GB knowing it will cost them for an extra controller soon anyway and hold off on buying the 80GB as it is overpriced.

Well at current exchange rates $100 price cut is actually less than £50. Problem is £50 will make no difference in the UK as loads of outlets are selling it for 399.99 as is. I reckon to actually shift significant unit numbers they have got to get it under the magicial £300 barrier. I just can't see it happeing in this round of price drops.

Nah..

I'd say anything less than £370 would boost sales quite a bit..

If Sony can hit £360-350 this year then I'm definitely sold!

I could have sworn I posted this earlier, but my browser was acting up so maybe it didn't go through..

According to MCV, don't expect a price cut in Europe. The announcement will, according to them, be 'value related' i.e. expect a bundle or something like that. That would perhaps make a little more sense given proximity to launch. My guess is they'll be bringing that 60GB Motorstorm bundle from the netherlands to all territories.

bobthebub - everyone is overpriced in the EU, from that perspective. Everyone's using 1 dollar = 1 euro, I don't expect Sony feels and need to pressure just because of that.

I could have sworn I posted this earlier, but my browser was acting up so maybe it didn't go through..

According to MCV, don't expect a price cut in Europe. The announcement will, according to them, be 'value related' i.e. expect a bundle or something like that. That would perhaps make a little more sense given proximity to launch. My guess is they'll be bringing that 60GB Motorstorm bundle from the netherlands to all territories.

bobthebub - everyone is overpriced in the EU, from that perspective. Everyone's using 1 dollar = 1 euro, I don't expect Sony feels and need to pressure just because of that.

What a let down.. :cry:

Seriously Europian gamers need to start boycotting for once instead of allowing the allure of great games to guide them to the stores and rape their wallets with overpriced SKUs (which is probably what will happen when Heavenly Sword launches)..

Ta, I haven't been keeping track of GBP - Euro rates recently and got lazy with my post, that said £1=$2 is psychologically significant, it's been in the news & it makes it very easy for people to perform rate conversions with mental arithmetic, I think that may actually be an issue for Sony.

News sites always forget about VAT when they report on US prices as well so they will report it as £250 in US and £425 here that appears an outrageous difference.

What a let down.. :cry:

Seriously Europian gamers need to start boycotting for once instead of allowing the allure of great games to guide them to the stores and rape their wallets with overpriced SKUs (which is probably what will happen when Heavenly Sword launches)..

The gamesindustry isn't based on justice. The PS3 is doing relatively well in Europe so I don't expect a pricedrop very soon. Maybe end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gamesindustry isn't based on justice. The PS3 is doing relatively well in Europe so I don't expect a pricedrop very soon. Maybe end of the year.

No it isn't.. It's based on sales.. And the only people with the power to control that are the consumers..

Ergo..

We make our own JUSTICE :devilish:

The Wii also comes with one of the hottest games of the year and built in storage for game saves. You are looking at 400 dollars to match that with the 360 core+ memory card + 60 dollar game.

Yes, but if you start looking at it that way, then the whole 199 price point argument is out of the window also.

Apple had to dish out millions for bad batteries in IPODs and logic boards in ibooks but that did not stop the pricing from going down. The charge off is done and won't affect the numbers next financial year 08 so they can afford a price cut and still show a profit 08.

It affects the bottom line. I'm not saying that they aren't going to lower their prices when necessary. But they will simply be even less eager to find it necessary than usual.

If developers could change their mind about the core it would of been before the launch. It is to late now with core units out in the field you can't screw those people over. MS has a plan for the core unit once they can get the costs down. We shall see if it pays off or not but I think it can if they cut the price before madden/halo/gta come out stealing casuals from sony.

It will sure be interesting. The Core won't have the GTA downloadables, and of all games Halo 2 was just about the only game on the original Xbox that used the HDD. I'm not saying it won't stop the Core from being sold, but we'll see. I'm fairly convinced that most Halo fans are people who bought the original Xbox for a reason other than that it was the cheapest console ...

That doesn't mean that there isn't potential now though to sell the Core. But right now they are still in a position to say 'heck, we'll supply all current Core's with a HDD', stop supporting the HDD-less Core and make the Premium the new Core. If the Core does take off, that position is over, and the competition with the PS3 in terms of game performance will get a serious kick in the teeth, as it is pretty obvious HDD is more important this time than it was last time.

It's not so easy, either way.

I do expect a price cut in Europe. Actually I think some stores have already lowered their prices to 499, but I have yet to confirm this - I heard that the large retailer that already lowered the price from 599 to 555 last month has now moved the price to 499. Don't forget that 599 euro is already a lot more than $599, and the PS3s aren't sold out in the shops here either.

I do expect a price cut in Europe. Actually I think some stores have already lowered their prices to 499, but I have yet to confirm this - I heard that the large retailer that already lowered the price from 599 to 555 last month has now moved the price to 499. Don't forget that 599 euro is already a lot more than $599, and the PS3s aren't sold out in the shops here either.
Play.com are flogging them for £399 a pop + HDMI cable..

Back