Sony: PlayStation 3 price drop

Since when are ads finished and printed so soon?

Check out the forums at CheapAssGamer.com. They always have the latest circular at least 3 weeks ahead of time. It's not uncommon for the ads to be done and printed at least 2 weeks ahead of time.

Tommy McClain

Check out the forums at CheapAssGamer.com. They always have the latest circular at least 3 weeks ahead of time. It's not uncommon for the ads to be done and printed at least 2 weeks ahead of time.

Tommy McClain

Wow, thanks for the info. I assumed it was done a few days beforehand.

Is this a one week thingy or for good?

CC ads are valid for one week..they put out new ads every week, I believe. So that doesn't really tell us whether the price is valid for one week or not.

The GameDaily report suggests it's a general, official pricedrop (which, of course, would be permanent). But nothing is official quite yet.

$499 is still firmly in hardcore gamer territory, though. They'll sell more, but not a lot more. They still have a ways to go from $499 before they can fully hit the hardcore market MS has already captured so much of.

IF true, I am really surprised to see a price cut happen so soon, considering the loss sony takes on each unit. I wonder what sort of reduction in cost they were able to get in manufacturing since launch.

I hope microsoft is going to follow suit and drops $100 off their units.

Well I think for a lot of customers who think a little about their purchase, it basically puts them at least on a par with where MS currently is with the 360 premium in terms of cost evaluation. Once you thrown in play-and-charge kit and live subscription, you've been pretty much close to the $500. I know I pretty much wrote that off when buying my 360. I don't expect MS to stand still, of course, but far fewer seemed to complain about buying into 360 with those kinds of costs.

Sony has to better communicate their value advantages - even just for those solely interested in gaming. They tried doing this last year with their comparison chart, but they tried too hard there. But they do have very valid points about free online gaming, larger hard disks and so on that ought to speak to a lot of people, be they interested in the other value-adds, like Blu-ray, or not.

$499 is still firmly in hardcore gamer territory, though. They'll sell more, but not a lot more. They still have a ways to go from $499 before they can fully hit the hardcore market MS has already captured so much of.

I think it will sell almost as much as the 360 at $499.

Indeed, I don't see much difference between 500 and 600 for general public.
But the fact that it is a price-drop may stimulate all the hardcores waiting for one (any).

If I were them, I would reintroduce a cheaper SKU at $400 assuming they have enough margin.

Wasn't there already a $499 PS3 that barely sold according to Sony?

There is a pretty good demand for the 20 gig PS3 that people wanted. It's just that Sony decided to stop production on it because they lose more money on it. The 20 gig however is still alive in Japan.

Kinda sounds like its based on the circuit city ad and a friend of store manager. Hopefully there really is some substance here.

There is a pretty good demand for the 20 gig PS3 that people wanted. It's just that Sony decided to stop production on it because they lose more money on it. The 20 gig however is still alive in Japan.

Production was never stopped.

http://www.ebgames.com/productmerch.asp?groupid=635

Places that had demand still received them to sell, though i suspect they may of had to do some arm twisting to keep getting them.

Although i think their game library is still far too weak for people to care much about the reduced price, though it is a very nice gesture. With the current movie deal it looks much better as a Blu-Ray player which isnt going to help its sales a whole lot still. I think Microsoft really hit the highest acceptable price point on the head for most people with the premium at $399. The next step for Sony is to bundle a couple games with it. Resistance and Motorstorm would be fantastic at 499. Dare i say they'd be back in the game?

I dont think it's enough (if true). $499 is still pie in the sky. $399 is where the mainstream just starts to begin..

But I'm sure they felt they had no choice.

Wonder if MS will respond?

What does this mean for EU and Japan pricing? Wasn't PS3 already ~$400 in Japan and not selling well?

I dont think it's enough (if true). $499 is still pie in the sky. $399 is where the mainstream just starts to begin..

But I'm sure they felt they had no choice.

Wonder if MS will respond?

What does this mean for EU and Japan pricing? Wasn't PS3 already ~$400 in Japan and not selling well?

I dont think Microsoft has a choice. The Elite looks much less appealing with the 60gb PS3 at $499. Drop the price of the Elite and you have to make the Premium and Core follow suit.

I know one person that is buying very soon, so the $100 savings is icing along with the 5 free BDs.

...and there will be millions of people who won't be buying one whom I don't even know regardless if there are 5 free movies and a price drop. ;)

hopefully this rumor is true because if word gets out of a price cut soon youll have a week of potential buyers not buying any ps3 hoping for a price cut with offset of making it back the following week but if its false you just have a week of bad sales. and if it is true youll have a bunch of returns the following day

Seriously? Sony actually thinking of dropping prices? This is big news, that's for sure.

Where did they snatch that image from anyways?

Looks like fake... That'd be nice, though. This gen hasn't really taken off. While I don't dislike Nintendo I'm myopic and I barely stand 480p anymore.

Back