New MGS4 trailer at Sony Keynote (July 11th)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
If i told you that you could rip your favorite music album using the wav format at the cost of making each song 500MB in size would you think that was neat or economical?

A full CD is 640MB of uncompressed WAV(-like) audio, so how you're getting 500MB per song in WAV format is beyond me.

it was sufficient example, fabricated or not, for the point i was making. If you want to get anal about my statement knock a zero off, doesnt matter to me.

it was sufficient example, fabricated or not, for the point i was making. If you want to get anal about my statement knock a zero off, doesnt matter to me.

15 hours voiceover in stereo = 10GB
Lets pretend they are insane and go with 5.1 in full PCM Quality = 30 GB
Leaves us with 20GB to discuss how they could waste that.

How much would HD movies take up? 1080p 60 Hz... If you wanted to just gobble capacity, you could, which is SugarCoat's point. To use compression is to reduce the quality of the experience. To reduce the image size is to reduce the quality of the experience. To reduce polygon counts and amount of physics is to reduce the quality of the experience. Thus we have a sliding scale of a game and how that same game can be implemented in ways of lower quality, and where those changes are sufficient to not be the same game any more. If compressed audio, quarter-screen video and half poly-counts were what it would take to get MGS4 on a DVD or two (and i'm not saying it is!) then is it right to say this game can only be done on BluRay? It ends up being very subjective - if one person doesn't care for uncompressed audio and HD cutscenes, then in their case yes. If someone else thinks without these features you're losing something essential to the experience, then for them, no.

That's why we need to see a break-down of disc contents to determine what's using that 50 GBs. Then we can see for ourselves where economies could have been made, and if in our opinion those economies would produce the same game at lower quality but still worth having on DVD.

15 hours voiceover in stereo = 10GB
Lets pretend they are insane and go with 5.1 in full PCM Quality = 30 GB
Leaves us with 20GB to discuss how they could waste that.

Don't forget that these titles usually try to support multiple languages on one disc. On Eurogamer:

Last week, the assistant producer Ryan Payton told the Kojima Productions podcast that the Japanese voice-over would not be included on the America and European disc due to space issues.

Then again, that Blu-ray does have to hold both Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Metal Gear Online.

I find it strange because in the past MGS their weren't allot of prerenderd FMV scenes. Aren't the cutscenes in MGS4 also not rendered in realtime ?

I remember that realtime devkit demo where there was a part (otacon) that was also seen in a cutscene. Maybe i'm wrong :)

I find it strange because in the past MGS their weren't allot of prerenderd FMV scenes. Aren't the cutscenes in MGS4 also not rendered in realtime ?

I remember that realtime devkit demo where there was a part (otacon) that was also seen in a cutscene. Maybe i'm wrong :)

Yeah. The small metal gear gadget that depicted an image of Otacon on its LCD screen, had Otacon rendered in real time as well. It wasnt some kind of video running

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004536128.jpg

Yeah. The small metal gear gadget that depicted an image of Otacon on its LCD screen, had Otacon rendered in real time as well. It wasnt some kind of video running

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004536128.jpg

If the cutscenes are real time too, then apart from the uncompressed audio, What is taking up all the space? My guess was 1080HD videos,as there are always a lot of cutscenes in MGS(awesome ones), but if that is ruled out.....:neutral: ......then, is it that the game is actually taking up all that space !:) ....man, I love long games!

but this gen has brought short ones in its wake.....:no:

If the cutscenes are real time too, then apart from the uncompressed audio, What is taking up all the space? My guess was 1080HD videos,as there are always a lot of cutscenes in MGS(awesome ones), but if that is ruled out.....:neutral: ......then, is it that the game is actually taking up all that space !:) ....man, I love long games!

but this gen has brought short ones in its wake.....:no:

Well if its video files that take so much space then: Why would they choose to use 1080p videos when they always used real time cutscenes in the previous games, when these cutscenes are using in game graphics anyways, and Kojima still complains that he had to cut some features out because the storage wasnt enough?

He sure wouldnt go for 1080p videos if he needs so much space for the things he want to put in the game.

So as it seems it may be the sound (including the common long dialogs in every MGS game) and the game itself indeed. Hopefully this is the case because the previous MGS games were short. This is the last and they must make it be a great epilogue. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't all MGS cutscenes been realtime? The cutscenes in MGS3 nearly gave me a headache from the struggling framerates at times.

They could be going Uncharted route. Get rid of load times by covering up with cutscenes...and Kojima might want this for a seemless movie experience. Which I think is a cool idea. But would be cool to pause a cutscene and spin the camera round as well...but we'd never get to do that anyway :smile:

It is very unlikely that the game is going to be long in my opinion. (He aims for a movie experience and I seem to recall he has commented on the past, probably about MGS 2, that he doesn't want to make it go needlessly on for hours)

I also doubt they are using uncompressed audio, as then he wouldn't be talking about having to cut things that he wanted to do because of space restrictions, he would just compress the audio. Who is really going to notice if he's encoded the audio at 320 kbps or higher or left it uncompressed? It's not a game seller at that level of quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they have at least 1 hour of 1080p video that is just the "The Making of Documentary" So thats like 10GB right there. Maybe thats why they could not have English and Japanese on the same disc.

Just wanted to point out, that no one was talking about FMV stuff per say - but real-time rendered cutscenes stored as videos to use while the game is loading in the background. I.e. Ratchet & Clank does this at the beginning of each level.

Recording real-time cutscenes sounds like a good reason for the large data amount. And then the better quality sound and adding all up and you got the disc maxed out.

Recording real-time cutscenes sounds like a good reason for the large data amount. And then the better quality sound and adding all up and you got the disc maxed out.

I'm just thinking of the three disc Metal Gear 3 Subsistence DVD release (which was single language) ... somehow, it doesn't surprise me at all. It would have surprised me if he hadn't filled it up. In Subsistance, you had one disc with the single player game, one disc with the online game and other extras, and one disc with the movies (bonus) only, so you could view the whole thing as one cinematic. The latter may not be necessary for this release ;) but then again some video may be present to allow for simultaneous caching of the next level. In any event, the game has always been rather big in any of its many releases, with even MGS2 spanning more than one DVD layer if I recall correctly.

I thought the game shipped with the MGS Online 'Starter Pack' on the disc..?

That's bound to be a whole lot more assets taken up..

Alternatively maybe Kojima-San was thinking of including the entire back catalogue of Metal Gear games to make this the definitive-bunker-buster-lolzors-end-of-all-teh-console-warz game..?

:LOL::LOL:

Of course, the further back you go the less impact including games has. I don't think the MSX version will break the storage bank...

Next-gen green-o-vision. mmmmm. Textures, what few we see, are marked improvement on early shots. The images are using Augmented IQ though which means we don't no exactly that they'll look like in game.

Back