New MGS4 trailer at Sony Keynote (July 11th)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
just watched the gameplay trailer (the gametrailers.com footage)...anyone like me, wondering where snake keeps that metal drum on him...also why bother creeping up on enemies when a metal drum falling on the ground wont alert them in that drum attack scene

those things aside, its still a definite purchase for me

Look at snakes skin in the first pic of the TGS footage, unrealistic shine compared to the new pic. You'll find they have changed the lighting model to make the game appear more realistic.
Actually, in HOT environments, sweat makes the skin look shiny ;)

Lighting was much more realistic back then and there were no jaggy shadows whatsoever.

it definitely looks worse, but i think you're over exaggerating here. i wouldn't call it a disappointment... still looks good to me. i think what was shown looks better than anything else shown prior to it (excluding the TGS 05 trailer) and theres still quite some time for improvement.
It's a dissapointment to me. I still remember how people thought the final game would look even BETTER than that 05 trailer, and now they're settling for much less :???:

It's a dissapointment to me. I still remember how people thought the final game would look even BETTER than that 05 trailer, and now they're settling for much less :???:
again, to me, i wouldn't say it looks that much worse. and i ask again, which videos did he/she use to compare? the HD gameplay video was just released, so i'm guessing he used the low res video.

again, to me, i wouldn't say it looks that much worse.
It also ran at 60fps back then.

and i ask again, which videos did he/she use to compare? the HD gameplay video was just released, so i'm guessing he used the low res video.
Obviously. But that just makes the comparison more favorable to both versions since you can't really see the details (nor flaws).

TGS05 was a targetrender, no? Then they used a modified MGS3-engine (from what i understand) for the following trailers. I assume Kojima Productions, as all other devs, work on the actual game and story first, then work out the graphics at the end cycle.

They have to "early 2008" to polish it up and perhaps reach the targetrender from 2005.

TGS05 was a targetrender, no? Then they used a modified MGS3-engine (from what i understand) for the following trailers. I assume Kojima Productions, as all other devs, work on the actual game and story first, then work out the graphics at the end cycle.

They have to "early 2008" to polish it up and perhaps reach the targetrender from 2005.
It was realtime actually, Kojima even did a live demo to show it off.

What's lacking is the animations. The original trailer was all captured. The anims here look very PS2 MGS. TBH it's quite refreshing for me to see a game that's happy to be a game in that respect. The movements and actions aren't realistic. The guy can bang about in a steel drum that appears from nowhere without alerting enemies! But it destroys much of the illusion that was so prevalent in the 05 trailer. The trailer was like watching a movie (shocker!) whereas this is like watching a game.

The animations impressed me. Very smooth, very realistic. Get over the appearing drum - it's a game. You were watching a movie with the trailer - as it was a movie. This is a game, not a cutscene.

I don't see the downgrade personally - only a difference in lighting.

Personally, I was overwhelmed. It looks much better than I thought it would. I sincerely mean that - as the textures are better - the smoke is better - snake looks better. I'm highly impressed.

Visuals aside, Metal Gear looks to have evolved considerably from the previous incarnations of the series. The gameplay is very reminiscent of Splinter Cell now, which I felt was a better sneaking / action game and I agree with Kojima and Co. taking the series in this direction. The CQC ability to push your enemies to the ground was impressive, and I enjoyed the rolling can bashing your enemies out of the way. All in all, the game looks to have a nice balance between realism and humour for which the series is known.

I think the visuals are impressive, but defiantly not as mind-blowing as they seemed when the game was first debut in 2005 (?). Everything seems very smooth and competent, with the character models being the high part of the games visuals. I think the game looks comparable if not better than Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and maybe as good as the forth coming Splinter Cell: Conviction.

It was realtime actually, Kojima even did a live demo to show it off.

In the TGS'06 (?) demonstration Kojima told how the hair was made of 60000vertices and the mustach of 6000vertices. It looked great and gave the hair and mustach volume. Sadly it isn't there anymore in the game and instead it has been replaced by simple sprites or such.
Quite some differences in detail between the TGS'05 (?) trailer and this latest, especially Snake which looks not as detailed as before. But overall still looks good and especially considering it is 1080p native and is targeted to run at 60fps. :smile:

Visuals aside, Metal Gear looks to have evolved considerably from the previous incarnations of the series. The gameplay is very reminiscent of Splinter Cell now, which I felt was a better sneaking / action game and I agree with Kojima and Co. taking the series in this direction. The CQC ability to push your enemies to the ground was impressive, and I enjoyed the rolling can bashing your enemies out of the way. All in all, the game looks to have a nice balance between realism and humour for which the series is known.

I think the visuals are impressive, but defiantly not as mind-blowing as they seemed when the game was first debut in 2005 (?). Everything seems very smooth and competent, with the character models being the high part of the games visuals. I think the game looks comparable if not better than Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and maybe as good as the forth coming Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Splinter Cell:DA has a big framerate problem.

In the TGS'06 (?) demonstration Kojima told how the hair was made of 60000vertices and the mustach of 6000vertices. It looked great and gave the hair and mustach volume. Sadly it isn't there anymore in the game and instead it has been replaced by simple sprites or such.
Quite some differences in detail between the TGS'05 (?) trailer and this latest, especially Snake which looks not as detailed as before. But overall still looks good and especially considering it is 1080p native and is targeted to run at 60fps. :smile:

1080p native?:oops:

That would explain the visual compromises!

Are we sure this is confirmed?

There's definitely some visual downgrades from the those comparison pics... but I can't help but think how much of the difference is due to a change in lighting / filter. There's no doubt the lighting in the early 05 trailers were much more realistic... and the filter / DOF used was also very different. I'm curious to see if this is a design choice or a technical limitation. I remember when the second trailer came out in 06, the whole game got the sandy cloudy gray look treatment. I think it's really hard to compare the quality of the textures unless the old lighting system and old filter is brought back... because with the current palette, a lot of the scene is blurred and not as vibrant.

Still.. no one is talking about the OctoCamo stated in my previous post. No one else is disappointed in the end (well, current) implementation of the active camo suit? Again, I was under the impression that the exact texture snake was leaning / laying / standing on would be replicated onto the suit... but instead they just changed the suit so that it has the same type of texture as said wall/floor. How is this any different than the different camo suits in MGS3? If it just changes to a similar texture instead of actually replicating that exact texture location? (besides the obvious fact of not having to go into u're inventory to change). I'm stressing this fact because I was holding high hopes for this special trick, since Kojima himself said something like only the PS3 can do such graphical jazz.

There's definitely some visual downgrades from the those comparison pics... but I can't help but think how much of the difference is due to a change in lighting / filter. There's no doubt the lighting in the early 05 trailers were much more realistic... and the filter / DOF used was also very different. I'm curious to see if this is a design choice or a technical limitation. I remember when the second trailer came out in 06, the whole game got the sandy cloudy gray look treatment. I think it's really hard to compare the quality of the textures unless the old lighting system and old filter is brought back... because with the current palette, a lot of the scene is blurred and not as vibrant.

Still.. no one is talking about the OctoCamo stated in my previous post. No one else is disappointed in the end (well, current) implementation of the active camo suit? Again, I was under the impression that the exact texture snake was leaning / laying / standing on would be replicated onto the suit... but instead they just changed the suit so that it has the same type of texture as said wall/floor. How is this any different than the different camo suits in MGS3? If it just changes to a similar texture instead of actually replicating that exact texture location? (besides the obvious fact of not having to go into u're inventory to change). I'm stressing this fact because I was holding high hopes for this special trick, since Kojima himself said something like only the PS3 can do such graphical jazz.

The way it currently works was actually how I envisioned it always working, since its supposed to be the same way the camo ability of an octopus functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJzKeymdrI

Its just the logical extension of the camo system from MGS3, but it also add the "No place to hide" dynamic to the game, namely, hiding in plain site.

The way it currently works was actually how I envisioned it always working, since its supposed to be the same way the camo ability of an octopus functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJzKeymdrI

Its just the logical extension of the camo system from MGS3, but it also add the "No place to hide" dynamic to the game, namely, hiding in plain site.

Ya, it is the logical extension, and I really don't have any problems with the way it works now. It just isn't an "advanced technique" in my eyes(as stated before). All it is is a texture check and then switching the skin on snake. I was hoping it would take the current "state" of the texture snake was on and mirror that exact state on the camo suit. The way it is, I don't see how this is something that can only be done on the PS3, as mentioned before.

I'm a PS3 fan and as such I wanted to see something truly unique... I guess that is why I'm so bummed.

. All it is is a texture check and then switching the skin on snake. I was hoping it would take the current "state" of the texture snake was on and mirror that exact state on the camo suit. The way it is, I don't see how this is something that can only be done on the PS3, as mentioned before.

I agree but I don't even know how that is possible. Every time you move it would have to change with you. I'm assuming that is not easy to do.

Back