Now THIS is hardcore gaming! Contra 4 DS!

Looks pretty good. Well executed 2D is always a pleasure, and the DS fully delivers for this (see both Castlevania, Kirby and Megaman ZX for good examples).

Hype +1. The DS is killing my wallet slowly, one little drop of money after each other (2 more games yesterday, Puzzle League and Brain Training 2). But I've taken the brave decision to reduce my tie ratio by a large amount, by importing a new Gloss Silver DS Lite. That should teach them ! :p

Hype +1. The DS is killing my wallet slowly, one little drop of money after each other (2 more games yesterday, Puzzle League and Brain Training 2). But I've taken the brave decision to reduce my tie ratio by a large amount, by importing a new Gloss Silver DS Lite. That should teach them ! :p

Oooo, how's Puzzle League? :9~

I just beat the first level on hard. Holy crap did I die a lot. I think my main problem isn't it being too hard, but that I'm too used to old school single screen play. Like 90% of my deaths came from carelessness and looking at the wrong screen. I could have avoided most of those deaths easily if I've gotten used to it a bit more. It'll definitely catch Contra vets off guard. I can't wait to play more!!!

This game is so friggin' hard. Was playing co-op with my brother and we couldn't beat the 2nd level. So much fun. One of my favourite games this year, for sure.

You can't beat the second level on co-op? I blasted all the way to the 4th level on the hardest difficulty. I couldn't beat it though. Tons and tons of replay value with the extra stuff though.

You can't beat the second level on co-op? I blasted all the way to the 4th level on the hardest difficulty. I couldn't beat it though. Tons and tons of replay value with the extra stuff though.

I've always sucked ass at Contra. Me and my brother never had an NES, so our Contra skills are weak.

Game is really hard. I'm all for hard games, but damn. The way they use the two screens is a bit annoying simply because it demands having your attention in two areas but so much can be happening on both that you can't really concentrate. I've beat the second level but that took many many retries.

I've always sucked ass at Contra. Me and my brother never had an NES, so our Contra skills are weak.

Ah, that is a problem. I used to play Contra like crazy with my cousin in co-op. I also kept my skills sharp by playing 2D shooters even in these days. I play games will so many bullets on screen that it's crazy. Heck, Contra 4 looks tame compared to some of the 2D shooters of today.

Game is really hard. I'm all for hard games, but damn. The way they use the two screens is a bit annoying simply because it demands having your attention in two areas but so much can be happening on both that you can't really concentrate. I've beat the second level but that took many many retries.

My only real complaint about the second screen is how the enemy bullets travel strangely between the 2 screens. It's really hard judging where the bullet will appear despite the fact that it's so slow moving. Just check the guys firing at you on the first boss. That bullet is hard to dodge when it appears on the second screen.

What I love about this game is the feeling of "one more time" every time I die. Once I got used to the 2 screens, 95% of the deaths I blame on myself. I keep repeating knowing that I can do better the next time. It really is a test of skills and patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back