Unshackled: PSP firmware 3.50 allows official games to hit 333MHz

ersonally, I find the lack of AA quite disturbing, especially given the relatively low resolution of the LCD screen

What? How do you mean relatively low? 9.5 cm / 480 pixels and 5.4cm / 270 pixels is pretty darn small? What are you comparing it to?

What? How do you mean relatively low? 9.5 cm / 480 pixels and 5.4cm / 270 pixels is pretty darn small? What are you comparing it to?
Indeed, dot pitch is way higher than most displays. There are palmtops with higher resolution per square inch though. Perhaps Chisholm works a lot on these?!

Indeed, dot pitch is way higher than most displays.

Yep, it's the first display that I have seen, where two broken pixels don't bother me at all. My friend counld't even see the dead pixels in his unit until I showed them to him. I'm very impressed with the graphics in PSP-games now that I have seen few of them first hand, instead of streched movies on my monitor.

RAM is the only thing that doesn't get a boost, but i don't think that matters alot for games

Not going to comment on the speed change, but the part about memory speed not mattering for games.

I would very confidently state that memory bandwidth is the single most important factor in game performance. Super extra especially on the PSP. (throw umd speed in there too btw).

Angular resolution is what matters. What is your viewing distance?

Angular resolution is what matters. What is your viewing distance?

Usually between 40-60cm (I'm a tall guy, 1.93m). In the end often not that different from how far I sit from my LCD (55-70)

Can we just define it as dreamcast level and be happy?

I question how much of a boost the extra 50% clock speed will truly allow though. It's not a generational improvement, so I wonder if the difference will even be noticeable. It's like the difference between the xbox and the cube in raw performance, but minus features, the xbox port of the game never really looked much better. And a geforce ddr to a geforce 2 wasn't a life changing experience either. To me, +50% clock speed means a slightly better framerate as the only noticeable visual change.

Port being the key word though. You can't expect a multiplatform game to be as optimized as an exclusive one. In the PSP's case it's the same hardward that gets the boost, so I expect some noticeable improvements.

Back