Hirai: 200 package titles & 180 PSN titles for PS3 by March 2008

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
Kazuo HIRAI was promoted CEO of SCE yeasterday and Nikkei did an interview.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST27918120070621
Sony to boost PS3 software to reverse slump: Nikkei
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16PM EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) expects a sharp increase in the number of games released for the PlayStation 3 this business year, in a move that should help the game console's slumping sales, the Nikkei business daily quoted the head of Sony's game division as saying in an interview.

Nintendo Co.'s (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) Wii game console has been outselling the PlayStation 3 console 3-1 in Japan and more than 2-1 in the United States so far this year, according to game magazine publisher Enterbrain and research firm NPD.

A lack of attractive games has been widely cited as a reason for the PS3's relatively weak performance in addition to the fact that it is far more expensive than the Wii.

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) President Kazuo Hirai was quoted by the Nikkei newspaper as saying that 200 software titles and 180 download-only titles would be released for the PS3 in the current business year to next March.

The original article is
http://it.nikkei.co.jp/digital/news/index.aspx?n=AS1D2008K 20062007
It says there are currently 60 package titles and 50 PSN titles for PS3 worldwide. They are planning marketing events with software publishers and new network services such as a video sharing service (eyeVio?).

Is there any chance for downoadable PS2 games? Cos this 180 number cant be filled with just PS1 titles.

Was there a news a while ago that Sony made a deal with Neo-Geo, or something like that???

Is Sony also double / triple counting the different regional version of software titles like Nintendo? E.g. Madden US + Madden Europe = 2 different games?

Is there any chance for downoadable PS2 games? Cos this 180 number cant be filled with just PS1 titles.

Was there a news a while ago that Sony made a deal with Neo-Geo, or something like that???

I doubt it. Probably alot of games like those featured on the XBLA. But could also be full on titles like Socom: Confrontation & WarHawk. Hopefully get a list soon.

Is Sony also double / triple counting the different regional version of software titles like Nintendo? E.g. Madden US + Madden Europe = 2 different games?

I'm not sure. As far as I can tell they've always considered them separate catalogs. Plus if you think about it, thats only like 5 games a week. Thats not so unrealistic considering the amount of 1st party studios that Sony has under its belt.

so that makes 380 Titles in 1 Year... oh yeah. CANT WAIT ALL THE 5/10 Titles... THIS IS SO GOING TO ROCK....NOT.

Mr. Hirai should shut up already. They better deliver, this time.
So far Games that are Worth a PS3.

Ninja Gaiden
Heavenly Sword
MGS
RATCHED & CLANK
WARHAWK (yeah not that much)

anything else? VF5, yes.

I don't believe this news. That's way too many game releases for such a short time frame. I think the 380 number is an exaggeration.

GT5 + PES7 for me. ;) never owned a playstation home console, so i am looking forward to this!
and GTA IV + Forza 2 LCE for 360.

so that makes 380 Titles in 1 Year... oh yeah. CANT WAIT ALL THE 5/10 Titles... THIS IS SO GOING TO ROCK....NOT.

Mr. Hirai should shut up already. They better deliver, this time.
So far Games that are Worth a PS3.

Ninja Gaiden
Heavenly Sword
MGS
RATCHED & CLANK
WARHAWK (yeah not that much)

anything else? VF5, yes.
you also forgot FF13 vs, Lair, SOCOM, GoW3, Resistance, The Show, and Motorstorm.

you also forgot FF13 vs, Lair, SOCOM, GoW3, Resistance, The Show, and Motorstorm.
Fine. Right. But apart from Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, MGS, RATCHED & CLANK, WARHAWK, Uncharted, FF13, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Grand Turismo 5, Afrika, FF13 vs, Lair, SOCOM, GoW3, Resistance, The Show, and Motorstorm, what has the PS3 ever done for us?!

[moral of this tale : Games worth a PS3 are subjective. Lists can included every title ever to come to the platform, as for some people that might be all it takes...]

Fine. Right. But apart from Ninja Gaiden, Heavenly Sword, MGS, RATCHED & CLANK, WARHAWK, Uncharted, FF13, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Grand Turismo 5, Afrika, FF13 vs, Lair, SOCOM, GoW3, Resistance, The Show, and Motorstorm, what has the PS3 ever done for us?!

Wow, I must have slept under a rock the last few months while these games were released, you played them and found them to be good?

Wow, I must have slept under a rock the last few months while these games were released, you played them and found them to be good?

The rock must also have hit you pretty hard on the head if you failed to follow the reasoning.

i am confused now. somewhere i read said there would be around 100 games by end of this year, now they are saying 380 by march 08 :mad:

i am confused now. somewhere i read said there would be around 100 games by end of this year, now they are saying 380 by march 08 :mad:

You get confused too easy :)

100 this year (Jan-Dec 2007) and 200 from March 2007 to March 2008, so the two "years" overlap. The 380 includes DLC which could be PSX1 games. At least that's how I read it.

Maybe they are using clever language to say ps2 games from now till march as 'for ps3' :LOL:
ozymandias of microsoft doesn't think so atm.

Back