Wipeout HD [PSN]

Detonater works something like this (I believe). Chaining is only based on hits from the same clip of ammo, you dont have to hit every bullet to chain. The first mine hit is 100 points, the next 200 and so on untill you reload. It doesnt matter if you miss in between as long as you dont reload. For old (black) mines you only get 50 points and they dont get worth more for chaining but they also dont disrupt chaining.

EMP only gives half the points as when you hit with normal bullets, so avoid using EMP unless theres lots of old mines.

So the trick seems to be to preserve ammo, just shoot when you believe you can hit a mine to increase chaining score. Avoid full auto untill the speed is so fast that its getting really hard to clear out your path.

Can you create online races with just motion control allowed?

Don't think so ... would have been a cool option though. I'm up for motion control only racing though, we can do it on trust with friends here maybe ;)

Finally got the Platinum trophy today!

Few games are good enough for me to tolerate such high levels of punishment. I'm not even that great of a player of this game. And it was just kicking me in the balls over and over. But I love this game so much, I still had enough will to keep going back to try again and again. And now I have taken it's ultimate prize!

Holy shit. You are a patience monster and thats quite an achievement.
Wipeout HD probably has the most challenging Platinum trophy ever. There are many and hard to get.

It has taken me days and huge patience just to get gold on everything in Elite difficulty mode. I cant imagine myself being able to have the patience to get a platinum in Wipeout HD

Congrats!!!

Good lord that's really an achievement. (no pun)
Over at PS3trophies.org WhipeoutHD's platinum trophy is considered the 5th most difficult with an avg rating of 9.40. The others

9.41 Street Fighter IV
9.42 Warhawk
9.44 Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

9.56 Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Hadn't played this since I originally downloaded it when it first came out (i did get Fury too), but I'm seriously locked in at this point. Great, GREAT racing. Amazing variation in races and courses. Lot's of vehicles to use. Super smooth. Excellent split screen multiplayer.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just grabbed this as part of the "welcome back" package.

I have a soundtrack question.

The first track that the game played when I booted it up is really rocking but I can't seem to find out who did it or what the track is even called. The track in question uses a thrash metal like rhythmic structure and chord progression but of course with chip tune instrumentation. It has a PWM / hard sync type synth stab as the main accent.

The track doesn't seem to be part of either the released HD or Fury soundtracks unfortunately and I really would like to know who did it. Any ideas? Is there anyway to tell from within the game itself?

[EDIT]Figured it out - it's the second half of "Machine Gun" by Noisia from Wipeout Fury.[/EDIT]

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I felt like it's time to bump this topic again. :)

People question again and again why backwards-compatibility is important - well this game is the perfect reason. I haven't played it now for a bit over a year and when I did again last night, I couldn't figure out why. It's just brilliant.

Super smooth, super challenging - and sensational speed and sound.

I'm two trophies away from getting platinum for the game (the HD part - not Fury) - and I find them the most difficult ones to get: eliminate two opponents from a single race and the eliminate 50 online opponents. Sounds easy when you play online often enough (which I never did), but the eliminate two opponents is extremely difficult. If you race using Novice, then the AI ships don't damage each other enough to eliminate them. And if you stick to all the weapon pads and focus on one opponent, you'll at most eliminate him before you run out of laps, but never two. Up the speed and you get more laps per race, but the time decreases inbetween the pads - the result being, if I am fortunate, I get to eliminate one, but never two within the same race. Up the AI difficulty, then it's diffcult enough to keep up if you stick to weapon pads instead of speed pads - although then at least the AI does more damage among each other. Tricky.

I've tried it more than many times and hoping for a quake towards the end of the race, in the hope more than two ships are damaged enough to eliminate them both, but so far, I either get the quake too early (in which case I usually hang on to it) or the other ships aren't damaged enough...

Oh well, maybe I'll have to try to get it in an online race - although the 50 opponents might be tricky. Tried a few online matches the other day and there are not that many people that still seem to play this. Still, I have to say, with or without the trophy hunting, this game ranks among the top ever 3 in my book. It's the best Wipeout game of the series (even if I didn't like Fury much - well not the new game-modes) and I really hope if they do make one for the PS4 - that they stick to the strengths that made Wipeout HD the best of the series (after a rather bad Wipeout Fusion).

Is there any info about how likely a Wipeout from the same people is? I thought Studio Liverpool doesn't exist anymore? Have the people moved away from Sony or are they now just under the umbrella of SCE Worldwide Studios?

I'm two trophies away from getting platinum for the game

:oops:

You are a monster. Its one of the hardest games ever to get all the trophies. Only 2 trophies from platinum is a huge achievement

Yes this is a brilliant and very underrated game.

I suspect we are going to see another game in the series (hopefully). Cold Storage the most notable soundtrack artists of the series has given a hint that he is busy on the soundtrack of a next gen game
Hopefully this is the one

Thanks!
Well, if I do get it - it will be my second game to get a Platinum trophy. :D Got it for CoD:MW2 (and nearly got it for MW3 too), but yeah, it being among the hardest is actually why I would love to get it. :D

I'm also a bit hurt that I can't get it for KZ2 - I only miss around a few trophies there too, but there's one, there's just no chance of ever getting - that being; be ranked among the top 3% within the week. I've tried and failed - because the top 3% simply play too much and get far too many points. I've actually found that as less and less people play, the harder it is to get (because the top 3% are more and more people who are just freaks and have no life :devilish:) where as when the game came out, there were perhaps a few hundred thousand playing, so the top 3% perhaps a few thousand people compared to now a few hundred. :mad:

Anyway, getting back to Wipeout, I think the Zico challenge was the most notable trophy in the game. Also like the Zone-Mode one.

The Elite gold ones though were just plain frustrating, especially the tournament ones, as there is a big window of luck involved. It's hard to forget the number of races where I got eliminated and lost so many points that I missed out on the championship. :LOL:

Especially sebenco climb was always a rather hard level, but more because I love the Icarus ship (weak shield) and sooo many places to do barrel rolls... :D On Elite (where you consistantly get shot at) == deadly combination.

:oops:

You are a monster. Its one of the hardest games ever to get all the trophies. Only 2 trophies from platinum is a huge achievement

Yes this is a brilliant and very underrated game.

I suspect we are going to see another game in the series (hopefully). Cold Storage the most notable soundtrack artists of the series has given a hint that he is busy on the soundtrack of a next gen game
Hopefully this is the one

Personally, I really only want a new WipeOut if it is a true redesign. I want a WipeOut which is completely free and physics based racer, no longer tied to the boost pads, perhaps even designed to work really well with tilt controls from the start (where leaning forward and backward has a real impact on how efficient you go through the track, etc.) on the one hand, and Mario Kart 8 style crazyness where you can drive on both sides of the track at the same time on the other hand. Make something that wows me as much as the first game did, or Zone mode when I first played that (really awesome to look at)

But yeah, HD Platinum is definitely hard to get - I won't get near it. Well done on getting so far.

I'm such an idiot. :LOL:

Here I was yesterday, saying how I missed two trophies - namely, the one that requires you to eliminate two opponents during a race and how impossibly difficult that one is. Well, yesterday, I devoted another few hours to it - fail, fail and fail again... and then suddenly... through sheer luck and good faith - two eliminations!!! :oops: Yay! :cool: But then... where's the trophy?

Turns out, I already had it. Got it back in 2011... :oops:

So, one more to go... eliminate 50 online opponents. I'm at 3.

Back