Wipeout HD [PSN]

Err.. that's a pretty daft reason to delay the game. If single player is working, release and patch trophies and whatnot later :S

WipEout HD delayed due to technical issue

Eurogamer News
WipEout HD has yet to be released because of a "specific technical problem", but Sony hopes it will be out "before the end of the year".

"There is a specific technical problem with WipEout that we have to solve. I can't go into details but it is a really, really tricky technical problem that no region has been able to solve at the moment," Sony Europe boss David Reeves told us when we hassled him about the game's progress this week at LA.

"I think it will come out before the end of the year but it is something that was just very difficult to get to grips with."

This is very very disappointing news. Last I heard it was scheduled for this month. Now it's the end of this year, maybe. :cry:

I wonder what this technical problem is & why it's so big/important & so hard to solve.

I read a rumor from someone who claimed he heard it from a dev inside Liverpool which said the game was failing epilepsy tests. If there's any truth to that, I can indeed see how it would be a tricky problem to solve.

Epilepsy, really? Isn't that what the disclaimer's are for?

Heh, I have no idea. But I know what you mean as I've seen epilepsy warnings that you have to click through before.

I thought it was one of the more interesting (read - less common) reasons a game could get delayed, though.

Even if the rumor is totally bogus, I'm really excited for Wipeout HD. I love the series, and I'll be excited for it no matter when it gets released.

Seems bogus to me. Kinda like postponing a new brand of peanut butter until you can find a way to produce it without peanuts because of people with nut allergies!

I can't think of any technical issue that would throw a completed game months out and worse still, with no knowledge of how long it'll take to fix, nor a problem that anyone can solve! I hope we hear about what it is to understand the issue, for other devs to avoid. But I dare say that's it something Sony would be embarrassed about and we'll never know!

Somebody else mentioning the epilepsy angle

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/07/22/wipeout-hd-causing-seizures/

We’ve spoken to one expert on the subject of seizures who assures us flashing lights are fairly low down the list of triggers for epilepsy patients, but naturally if this is indeed a contributing factor to the game’s delay, we’re sure the developers are doing everything they can to reduce the problem. We’re hoping for more on WipEout HD soon, so stay tuned to TheSixthAxis.

They hired people with epilepsy in QA to do tests on? Man thats a though gig.

Seems bogus to me. Kinda like postponing a new brand of peanut butter until you can find a way to produce it without peanuts because of people with nut allergies!

I can't think of any technical issue that would throw a completed game months out and worse still, with no knowledge of how long it'll take to fix, nor a problem that anyone can solve! I hope we hear about what it is to understand the issue, for other devs to avoid. But I dare say that's it something Sony would be embarrassed about and we'll never know!

Well, to go on this (rather unlikely angle) certain combinations of sounds and lights can also trigger migraines, among other problems.

I remember in City of Heroes that one of the powersets was often a source of migraines for quite a few players, until the devs changed the way it looked. THe effect was always fairly innocuous to me, though.

I for one welcome a delay for Trophies and 2 player split screen.

Me too. I think another reason to choose to do so is that Wipeout is a high profile title that they want to release with a bang a little closer to the Christmas season. They may have enough going for them on PSN right now - that in combination of course with the legitimate desire to include the above features, which I think come from extensive play-testing. While generally the game was loved, the HUD I remember was singled out for some harsh criticism by the likes of Shane and co on 1up, among others.

Also they may be working on a feature that isn't mentioned, like maybe youtube integration for uploading multi-player replays, that they aren't mentioning until they're sure they can do it. Or they may still have trouble getting rid of framerate issues, which wouldn't be acceptable in a Wipeout game.

Me too. I think another reason to choose to do so is that Wipeout is a high profile title that they want to release with a bang a little closer to the Christmas season.

Sony probably wants to give Fatal Inertia some space as well. If they get a third party publisher to experiment with downloadable full-size games they don't want to release a competitor at the same time.

Sony probably wants to give Fatal Inertia some space as well. If they get a third party publisher to experiment with downloadable full-size games they don't want to release a competitor at the same time.

speaking of Fatal inertia: this games plays and looks different then his xbox equivalant. I tried the demo on xlive

Back