B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
By means of its new official blog, Sony Computer Entertainment
announced a new firmware update for its PlayStation 3. Released today,
the update only introduces a small XMB patch, intended to fix a bug
that would see XMB revert RGB options to HDMI users from “Full†to
“Limited†without asking for user’s consent. <br /><br />Read the full news item

Hm. vB not wanting to parse those tags it seems. ;)

For the lazy: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/06/14/ps3-firmware-upgrade-181-coming-tomorrow/

I'm actually less enthusiastic about the upgrade itself than I am about the blog. I have to say, IMHO for Sony to decide to do that was a great move. They seem much less like a faceless corporate entity when someone from the inside is there to inform the user base-all in a very human manner. The posts don't seem to come off as press banter or anything; it's actually accurate in calling itself a blog (as opposed to that PSP sellout so called blog). That they allow other developers to chime in is also a good thing.

Well anyway, the update seems to work fine for me. Installation was smooth as usual and it seems to work as advertised. *thumbs up*

That they allow other developers to chime in is also a good thing.

Well, that guy is a SCE producer.. I'm not sure if third parties are invited to contribute.

However, anyone can contribute via comments, and actually, there've been more high profile contributions therein. I've seen comments left by Richard Marks, our own nAo among others. So it's pretty neat from that perspective too.

It´s a nice way to keep in touch. Sadly there is still ALL CAPS posts and other posts that just hit to low. Maybe Sony should have made it PS3 owners only and used the PSN logins.

Great to hear ... this bug was bugging me. :)

I also found some interesting info for us UK customers here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?p=1900546#post1900546

Hi all,

New content has been added to the PLAYSTATION®Store!

The much anticipated Time Attack Mode for MotorStorm is now available for free download.

NB. This new mode requires that the patch be downloaded through the MotorStorm game before the new Time Attack mode is downloaded!!

In addition to this, there are two new retro classics for you to download and play, Joust and Rampart.

There are also trailers for The Darkness, Haze, Super Stardust HD and Lair. Also there is an interview with Paul Hollywood.

Enjoy
Lestrade

That's quite a lot of updates this time. 1 Motorstorm update (Time Attack), 2 retro games, 4 trailers, and an interview. Hopefully one day we'll consider this a slow week. ;)

I'm more interested in the supposed fixes to bluetooth headsets. I've been meaning to get one, but it's confusing which one to get since they seem to work, them not work, then work again...

I'd love to hear if the issues have been resolved with this new firmware. (And what would you guys recommend for something like Resistance)

Im use this config (full range HDMI) a while in my LCD samsung and i experiment great diference in contrast.

(in my DVD player HDMI im experiment great diference too at full range)

We discussed this option earlier somewhere on the forum here, and there was a test image posted that you could use to see if you still saw different black levels.

It was a big improvement on my Samsung as well. It no longer needed to use the dynamic contrast option it has, which I now realise also moved the image into the higher or the lower end of its color spectrum for brighter vs darker scenes. That makes a lot of sense if you think about it - in a dark scene, you want a bigger range of shades of dark colors and vice versa. But the transition effect wasn't such a big hit with many people (didn't bother me nearly as much as it bothered my wife, ironically).

When the RGB Full Range option is selected, the TV seems to simply doesn't need to do this and fortunately it also just doesn't (or at least it has to be doing it much, much less), so that's awesome. Some of the famous LCD red ghosting seems to have gone along with it also, which I hadn't expected.

Back