[360] Mass Effect

New "Director's Cut" E3 Trailer over at gamersyde.com. The shadows still flicker a bit too much and I'm not sure how fun the combat will turn out to be, but the game's scope seems so frickin' epic, november can't come soon enough!

I just pre-ordered for $40, I have faith in Bioware. I doubt I will get to play it before 2008, but that's life :)

I just pre-ordered for $40, I have faith in Bioware. I doubt I will get to play it before 2008, but that's life :)

Wow, where did you pre-ordered for $40? I got mine at familyvideo for $50. I just want to know, so next game I order I'll give your place a try.

Wow, where did you pre-ordered for $40? I got mine at familyvideo for $50. I just want to know, so next game I order I'll give your place a try.

liongames.com or something, the deal expired though. I also got Bioshock for the same price. They basically take a loss on pre-orders to drum up buzz for their site.

I'm rather miffed with Bioware for sticking decidedly PC-derived RPG's onto consoles now first and bringing over some random version or anything to PC when they feel like it... but Mass Effect looks too good for me to not steal a friend's 360 and have my way with it. :p (Maybe intercept one of their warranty repairs...)

There's a reason I will buy Dragon Age right away at full price, tho, but haven't bothered with Jade Empire or the KOTOR's. I gave them more than enough money for the various Baldur's Gates and NWNs, you'd think they'd at least try to make me feel like my PC money is "worthy" anymore.

KOTOR had a forgivable-enough gap, I suppose, but Jade Empire's was downright pointless for being done at all, and sadly makes me think Mass Effect will be treated the same way. The precedent is not leading my way.

*sigh*

They ended up rating this mature? Out of curiousity, what constitutes the "M" rating anyway? The violence doesn't look that graphic, the only thing I can think of is language.... or maybe glimpses of aliens in the buff......

I prefer to not think of that actually.

They ended up rating this mature? Out of curiousity, what constitutes the "M" rating anyway? The violence doesn't look that graphic, the only thing I can think of is language.... or maybe glimpses of aliens in the buff......

I prefer to not think of that actually.

MATURE
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

I don't know why more aren't frothing over it. Maybe because it's single player and not a fantasy MMO? Heh. Yuck. I fear that we live in times when a large number of gamers shun story in favor of multiplayer.

I live for these sci-fi RPGs. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

In the meantime, go beat KOTOR again. I would if I hadn't beaten it 3 times already, heh. (Refuse to try playing KOTOR2 again until Team Gizka is done). Another option is some System Shock 2. If you haven't played that, you're doing yourself a disservice. ;)

I love the story and the graphics look great, but the animation/physics doesn't seem right to me from what I've seen. Looks very PC'ish. Doesn't quite have the polish in these areas I would expect out of a AAA nextgen console game.

Perhaps I'm just being too picky. :oops:

I mean what aspect of ME makes it an M rated title?

Mature ratings dont make any sense anyway. I'm pretty sure any shooter game is an automatic mature, even if it's something inoffensive like Halo.

Mature is too much of a catch all, it can be anything from the videogame equivalent of a hard R with lots of gore, cussing and nudity such as Manhunt, to as I say, something very mainstream like Halo. The essential problem is again, deeming any game where you shoot something as an automatic mature.

That's not to say I know why ME was deemed M. Maybe there is some cursing, or again maybe it's just because you shoot things with laser beams.

I believe there is also a distinction between shooting humans and aliens with regards to blood colour, though that may just be in Germany from what I recall...

All I know is after reading the book I want the game that much more. As soon as I get a chance I will be preordering the game. Did any one else read it?

All I know is after reading the book I want the game that much more. As soon as I get a chance I will be preordering the game. Did any one else read it?

I read it several days ago. Very good read, although it's not instant classic plus this 'Revelation' thing wasn't all that clear to me.

*SPOILER ALERT*

what did Saren find in Dr Qian's notes that he changed him so much? Revelation is a very impactful spiritual experience IMO, and Saren's behaviour was opportunistic use of situation (ie. he got his hands on data that might be useful for his old purposes). Anyway, judging from the latest trailer it seems he managed to control this artefact. ;) Plus what he said in the trailer "You can't possibly understand what's in stake, Shepard". It seems he learnt something important not only for his revenge on humanity.

*END OF SPOILER*

I'm definitely looking forward to Mass Effect more than I did earlier, it's universe is really deep and and has a lot of potential.

i haven't finished it yet. But yeah. looks like this is going to be all Sci-Fi fans ever wanted! (Judging by the book)

Back