PGR4: New Snow on the Ring trailer

A video on the making of PGR4 sound. 4 wheel independant tone based variations for grip and sliding is one of those subtle things that is pretty cool. The work that goes into a title like this, that most people never notice, is crazy.

agree, some of the details that get implemented and are often overlooked by end users in these high profile titles are astounding, thanks!

Looks like no AA at all, though.

Looks like it has AA to me, just not, for some reason, on that rear window, which is huge and rather eye-catching (look at some of the smaller details like the vents and mini-wings on the rear wheel arches, the license plate, etc - they're all clearly AAed).

Actually, watching the Gamersyde videos (the Shanghai night motorbike vid is a good example thanks to the bike's windshield) it seems to be a common pattern - everything is AAed, except anything alpha-blended, which all seem to be rendered with AA disabled. Here's a frame capped from that video to show what i'm talking about - all the gauges, the handlebars, and the wing mirrors are AAed, but the windshield isn't.

edit: given that they'll have to be tiling to do AA, maybe it's an optimisation to do all alpha-blended rendering in one pass after doing all the (tiled) opaque rendering? I'd imagine that it'd be a pretty big win to be able to do all their weather system particle effects without worrying about tiling...

There is a new video coming soon showing off the cities and how they are made... amazing stuff. On the AA, I did notice some aliasing as well in some areas and not in others. As good as the capture tools Blim has, they aren't perfect and then there is compression so it can be difficult at times to tell what is what. Not that I am complaining (the quality is pretty much unmatched outside of framebuffer feeds on devkits).

I cannot wait until normal games have this sort of detail in a city. Beautiful, and a lot of the paths in cities are selected well so that the streets are close and a lot of turns where you see the detail. Very cool.

If its anything like PGR3, you can make your own tracks :)

They don't have that this time. Each course has 11-20 "tracks". And you can play certain modes, like Zombie and CTF, in "open cities" and go anywhere you want. So you could look at everything I guess... you just cannot blow out all the glass :p

Well this guy just lost all credibility.

I'd have a little faith....if PGR3 actually looked ANYTHING like this:
http://games.mattsarrel.com/images/pgr3rr6/PGR3-2.gif

Sure you don't doctor screenshots, you just release screens that have absolutely no relation to the actual graphics in the game!

that screenshot is from Gran Tourismo and you know it! ;)

btw. its obvious they mean their screens are taken in the game, consider photomode ingame. kinda depends on the perspective, anyway. i thought we already got that clear?

I cannot wait until normal games have this sort of detail in a city. Beautiful, and a lot of the paths in cities are selected well so that the streets are close and a lot of turns where you see the detail. Very cool.

After watching the two videos about the dedication and care that was put into the audio and the cities models, I am simply uttarly speechless....:oops:

It would be awesome if they could re-use these rich citiy assets in other types of games.

The scale reminds me of the cities in Assasins Creed where you could go and pretty much climb anywhere in the city.

After watching the two videos about the dedication and care that was put into the audio and the cities models, I am simply uttarly speechless....:oops:

It would be awesome if they could re-use these rich citiy assets in other types of games.

The scale reminds me of the cities in Assasins Creed where you could go and pretty much climb anywhere in the city.

Assassins Creed: Anno 2008 by Bizarre Creations confirmed!!

I cannot wait until normal games have this sort of detail in a city.
The amount of detail in the buildings is simply stunning. You can see the developers roaming around the city freely.

You can also appreciate how developers, those enigmatic characters, work. Very interesting.

The aerial view reminds me of Google Earth.

Just like PGR3, the PGR4 vs real life photos would be a beautiful thing to contemplate.

They mention PGR2 several times in the video (the nostalgia, I guess) and someone that previewed the game said that PGR4 controls more like PGR2 which, in my view, is a relief.

Many thanks for sharing

Just saw the Macau making of presentation, level of detail (mainly texture detail) is outstanding. Asphalt texture resolution up-close is perfect. In general the game feels so sharp (high-res mirror reflections for the win ;)). Also you can feel that the guy is extremely proud of his job and PGR4. :)
They mention PGR2 several times in the video
The guy asking questions is one of the biggest PGR2 fans mind you.

I'm so far a little disappointed with PGR4. Each time I see real gameplay, it looks disappointing. Best track I like so far is Quebeck. I quite liked PGR2, but since then, I don't know. But who knows it turns out better than it looks so far. At times it looks great, but at times it really looks meh. I can't put my finger on it.

A colleague of mine won a 360 Premium on a fair, and is selling it for 175 euros. Of course, guarantee could be problematic, with probbaly no receipt, so it could be a risk. It's a good offer, but I'm still worried about all the additional costs (I'd like a decent wheel, first and foremost, before I play any racing game, can't really stand to play without it - only acceptable thing was Motorstorm really because of the motion control).

Ironically Live isn't one of the costs I'm worried about right now. I keep forgetting to cancel Live for my Xbox1, and have done so 3 times now. :rolleyes: Each time I think I'll wait until it's almost expired before I decide to cancel (because I paid for a year anyway), and then of course forget to do it. Annoying as hell. Next time though it probably won't happen as my credit card details are different. ;)

Anyway, never mind all that, I'm just saying, I just can't get a good grip on PGR4. Some stuff looks great, but the reaction from the 1up show crowd was about as meh as it gets. Looking forward to finding out what it is really like soon. I've always liked the online competition in PGR2, and that's what I would get it for again - if ever. If my current wheels would work with the 360, then I think my colleague would have a sale. ;) (like last-time, I've liked to own both consoles if only because of all the versus discussions and being able to see everything first hand myself. ;) but I can survive with the occasional peek elsewhere of course )

Prodigy rules. And now I just read these impressions on Eurogamer, which seem quite favorable:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83516&page=2
If Eurogamer says the game is good, then it's not bad. They are my favourite reviewers as we always have the same tastes. Not always, just very often but they are my favourite gaming site when it comes to reviews.

I'm so far a little disappointed with PGR4. Each time I see real gameplay, it looks disappointing. Best track I like so far is Quebeck. I quite liked PGR2, but since then, I don't know. But who knows it turns out better than it looks so far. At times it looks great, but at times it really looks meh. I can't put my finger on it.
Be patient and things will be fine. I see nothing wrong with PGR4 because it looks much more polished than PGR3. Gameplay aside, I miss Edimburgh, though.

Edimburgh's landscape, the castle, the papers flying with the wind, the rain....

It was one of the most evocative views in videogames I've ever seen, if not the most beautiful.

Bizarre Creations -hope they are reading this or I'll start a new thread in the official forums and I don't want to-, please bring back Edimburgh.

Easily another million seller. I can't wait to get this! I'm still impressed by the sound of the ferrari in the video I posted earlier.

In one of the video they show the replay system in which the guy pulled away from the track and watched from the side and saw the cars go by in the same corner as the replay went on. That was pretty damn cool. Certainly Turn10 should play this to get a clue how replays should be implemented!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back