PGR4: New Snow on the Ring trailer

Couple of new (gameplay!) videos up at Gametrailers - one from the perspective of a car, one of a bike.

Compression is kinda heavy, so it's impossible to actually get any clue whether they're doing anything clever/unusual with their realtime motion blur or not (it's just a huge macroblocked mess), but a couple of things are very clear, even through the compression - notably, it's definitely full 720p, and appears to have some level of AA (looks like 4x to me, but it's hard to tell exactly). And the texture filtering definitely looks improved over PGR3. Hopefully gamersyde got the same source videos and puts up some cleaner versions later so people can nitpick them to death ;)

I know its hard to judge motion blur based on a single screen, but what do you guys think about this:
I think that's photomode ;)

Couple of new (gameplay!) videos up at Gametrailers - one from the perspective of a car, one of a bike.

Compression is kinda heavy, so it's impossible to actually get any clue whether they're doing anything clever/unusual with their realtime motion blur or not (it's just a huge macroblocked mess), but a couple of things are very clear, even through the compression - notably, it's definitely full 720p, and appears to have some level of AA (looks like 4x to me, but it's hard to tell exactly). And the texture filtering definitely looks improved over PGR3. Hopefully gamersyde got the same source videos and puts up some cleaner versions later so people can nitpick them to death ;)

I think that's photomode ;)
Looks like 4x FSAA to me also. Here are the link to the new videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24826.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24828.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24830.html

I love the realtime reflections and the environments look as great as usual, if not better than ever.

Thx for sharing. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be the conversion to video, but there a several drops in framerate throughout each video, and none of them are close to the shots posted earlier in the thread (as most people expected)

It's been a long time since I played PGR3 (I did play it extensively while I had a 360 though), but I am not seeing a massive improvement truth be told.

What we have argued early about being real-time in the promotional video. Just scrap that, it's fake. Just watch the new gameplay videos from gametrailers.com and you can see what Nao said was true all along.

It might be the conversion to video, but there a several drops in framerate throughout each video, and none of them are close to the shots posted earlier in the thread (as most people expected)

It skips forward on perpuse if thats what your refering to, as far as framedrop goes, your gonna get that every single time unless people start encoding higher fps video's.

Anyways, compression in that video was horrid, hard to judge anything imo. Also the fact that nobody in those vids know how to drive, is kinda disturbing. They should atleast know how to properly take a corner.

nAo was talking mostly about motion blur, but the videos are way too compressed to say how they did motion blur. I would rather wait for some gamersyde videos.

dang those vids look nice considering the quality.

nice AA and blur and smooth as silk movement with the usual PGR sweet-ass building textures..

What we have argued early about being real-time in the promotional video. Just scrap that, it's fake. Just watch the new gameplay videos from gametrailers.com and you can see what Nao said was true all along.

Sorry..but here are MUCH cleaner direct-feed vids of the game in action.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/14685
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/14689
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/14687

It should be obvious that the trailer was pure real in-engine/realtime/however you want to slice it (but with obviously better/more stylized camerawork for a trailer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the photo mode videos confirm that the blur I was talking about is not realtime, as I mentioned many times before.
(the car gets blurred outside its silhouette only when they take a picture of it, in fact it takes a couple of seconds to generate the image)
They do what GT4 does on PS2, they simply accumulate multiple frames together.
In game AND real time blur is a very good implementation of the classic post processing blur we can all appreciate in a multitude of games, PGR3 included.

Actually the photo mode videos confirm that the blur I was talking about is not realtime, as I mentioned many times before.
(the car gets blurred outside its silhouette only when they take a picture of it, in fact it takes a couple of seconds to generate the image)
They do what GT4 does on PS2, they simply accumulate multiple frames together.
In game AND real time blur is a very good implementation of the classic post processing blur we can all appreciate in a multitude of games, PGR3 included.

I absolutely can agree that excessive blur (what I file under 'camerawork' in my previous post) in the trailer/photomode is not present while you play..but thats where the disparities between the actual game and that intro/trailer stop.

Everything else is the same..the geometry, lighting, reflections etc..
It simply does not make a huge difference (if any) in the sum of all parts visually..besides having more motion blur than it already has in gameplay.

I don't know what are you talking about, I always and only made comments about the motion blur, don't care about the rest.
I wrote that I didin't believe it was realtime, and guess what? it's not.
End of the story, I don't wanna get in any other discussion about it.
It's not like those idiots that insulted me cause I was just saying something that in the end was correct are going to come back here to say sorry, aren't they?

I don't know what are you talking about, I always and only made comments about the motion blur, don't care about the rest.
I wrote that I didin't believe it was realtime, and guess what? it's not.
End of the story, I don't wanna get in any other discussion about it.
It's not like those idiots that insulted me cause I was just saying something that in the end was correct are going to come back here to say sorry, aren't they?

Nao I was not only responding to you, I was also responding to the fellow that outright said 'the trailer was fake.'
Sorry for not doing the seperate quotes bit.

Fake

Nao I was not only responding to you, I was also responding to the fellow that outright said 'the trailer was fake.'
Sorry for not doing the seperate quotes bit.

I think when they say the trailer is using 100% in-game effects probably they mean the trailer is render using effects and models available in-game, but not available in-game all at once. So, for example, like they use photo-mode blur as continuous effect in trailer (not real-time in-game, and is photomode effect only), maybe they also use car selection models instead of driving mode model and max lod for all parts of scene. Otherwise driving mode (or atleast replay mode) would look more like trailer, no?

Graphics for PGR4 even replay mode are not so great for 30fps. Very disappointing for me. I look at amazing Gears of War real-time graphics and think why is PGR4 real-time graphics not so great?

I look at amazing Gears of War real-time graphics and think why is PGR4 real-time graphics not so great?

Well theres a few reasons.
They come from different developers, they use different tools, they have different goals--and OH YEAH;
Real life locations and car models don't look as visually pleasing as a comic book.

I'll be leaving this thread now..

What do you mean by that? I'm trying to understand the difference between the two types of MB that you're talking about. What makes one require more processing time than the other and impossible in realtime?

Back