PGR4: New Snow on the Ring trailer

Interesting, but are the cars really driving fast enough since there is no blurring of the rims as what happens when the wheels spin fast. PGR4 also has 3D rims but when the wheels spin fast they seem to get exchanged for 2D rims. This is what it looks like for GT5 to when the wheels spin fast enough.

I don't know my friend. I looked at 720P gameplay video many times and it looks like 3D when I pause. Maybe it is 2D with clever shader? But cars also have much more polygons than PGR4 so maybe they can have more 3D wheels. I dont know.

Thoose are real-time shadows, it is just that the resolution of the shadowmaps are not high enough to prevent jaggies in certain angles. Also it seems there is some shadow clipping issue. May be due to how they render the shadows (same problems can be seen in BF2 for PC).

Thank you for this explanation. Is this difficult to fix?

4lhv0bs.jpg

4d4u3w4.jpg

6fuhcw5.jpg

4kk3sqa.jpg

:eek:

Not 2d

Those look like clever use of photo quality texures + lighting on a 2D wheel.

That is not so my friend. Photo texture will not look 3d from angle but the wheels look 3d. You can see light and shadow changes and also curved shape of spokes from different angles.

This is a 3D wheel. This is what it looks like in videos. You can see curved spoke and occlusions. With photo-texture spokes will not have these curves and occlusions from this angle. :)
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5975/1316_0001.jpg

^what exactly do you mean? parallax mapping?
Parallax mapping is the next step on from normal mapping, and gives the illusion of depth in a 2D surface from a texture. It's used in great effect with stony floors in Kameo and Lair. This ATi presentation on page 9 has an excellent example too. In this case I'm thinking it could give the illusion of depth needed to a flat, blurred texture that approximates the spokes seen at speed.

That is not so my friend. Photo texture will not look 3d from angle but the wheels look 3d. You can see light and shadow changes and also curved shape of spokes from different angles.

This is a 3D wheel. This is what it looks like in videos. You can see curved spoke and occlusions. With photo-texture spokes will not have these curves and occlusions from this angle. :)
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5975/1316_0001.jpg

You seem very sure that it's 3D. Has PD said anything about it being 3D?

So in order for it to be 3D, PD HAVE to say its 3D? :LOL:

Those are YOUR words not mine..I just asked a simple question, a yes or no is sufficient. ;)

The point, which apparently flew over your oblivious head, is how can one be so sure that it's 3D from a still screenshot unless there is some other proof?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are YOUR words not mine..I just asked a simple question, a yes or no is sufficient. ;)

The point, which apparently flew over your oblivious head, is how can one be so sure that it's 3D from a still screenshot unless there is some other proof?

Other than that it looks exactly like that in GT:HD, which we can play, right now, with that same car, seeing very clearly that it is 3D? (not to mention that if you knew anything about 3D, his arguments should have convinced you earlier, I'd hope. ;) )

Parallax mapping is the next step on from normal mapping, and gives the illusion of depth in a 2D surface from a texture. It's used in great effect with stony floors in Kameo and Lair. This ATi presentation on page 9 has an excellent example too. In this case I'm thinking it could give the illusion of depth needed to a flat, blurred texture that approximates the spokes seen at speed.
so in order to do parallax mapping you have to do normal mapping? sorry to take this thread off topic.

It can be done even without, but if you don't have a local normal (typically coming from a normal map) you need very highly tessellated meshes to work with it.
Too bad that when you are already rendering loads and loads of triangles then you don't need to fake geometric details anymore, thus no parallax mapping is needed.
I guess the final answer is: parallax mapping only makes sense if used in conjunction with normap mapping ;)

It can be done even without, but if you don't have a local normal (typically coming from a normal map) you need very highly tessellated meshes to work with it.
Too bad that when you are already rendering loads and loads of triangles then you don't need to fake geometric details anymore, thus no parallax mapping is needed.
I guess the final answer is: parallax mapping only makes sense if used in conjunction with normal mapping ;)

Could you guess/comment on the implications of using Xenos' hardware tessellator to provide the necessary um... data for doing parallax mapping without the normal mapping?

Memory savings only?

Could you guess/comment on the implications of using Xenos' hardware tessellator to provide the necessary um... data for doing parallax mapping without the normal mapping?

Memory savings only?
Yes, I would call it a trade off between performance and memory.

I know its hard to judge motion blur based on a single screen, but what do you guys think about this:

Click on the image to enlarge.

Back