PGR4: New Snow on the Ring trailer

Watch the PGR4 teasers. They look like these screens if not better (motion blur awesomeness is not visible on these screens).

I sen the trailers and there very impressive, just like the PGR3 ones were equaly impressive.

PGR3 showed nice enviroments aswel.

I would love to be proved wrong here, i really would but im not getting hyped up until i see gameplay. PGR3 let me down BIG time in the grpahics department, and IMHO i can see this going the same way.

And AF filtering, i can put up with jaggies no problem, but i cant stand games with no AF. Wonder if PGR4 is internally rendered at 720p now?

Im certain it is. Bizarre said it was more a combination of getting final devkits 2 months before launch and rushing the hell out of pgr3 than hardware limits.

that's a very bold statement for november'05

I was really really expecting it to look like the first released trailer and screens, i set myslef up for dissapointment TBH. Still learn from mistakes. :)

I was probably more put off by the lack of AF more then anything, but its all down to personal taste wheather someone is bugged more by jaggies or lack of AF :)

Last time, like Ostepop said, they didn't receive final dev-kits until 2 months before game went gold. Now after further 20 months of experence with the hardware it is reasonable to expect PGR4 to look like it does on screens and teasers. When they showe PGR3 trailer they said it was prerendered, now they claim the new teasers are real-time. PGR4 will be a beautiful game.:D

Strange. I am very impressed in some of the screenshots posted, but am not all that impressed by the video footage of the snowy Nordschleife track...

Hmm...
In other related news - god what a fugly looking Exige (GT3)... :???:

Im taking the screens with a pinch of sault, they did the same thing with PGR3, released all these promo shots of the envirments and tracks and the final game looked nothing like them.

"nothing like them"... a bit too far don't you think?

"nothing like them"... a bit too far don't you think?

IMHO? No

Link1

Link2

Link3

The released game was missing most of the excess geometry that was used to model extruded brick surfaces and stuff like fire escapes. The buildings in the final release were just bland conpared to the relased "hype" shots IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if PGR4 is internally rendered at 720p now?

It's one of the requirements, Microsoft can/will fail your submission candidate if its not at that minimum resolution. Exceptions were made at launch time of course, but that's over. AA is also a requirement, but they might make exceptions on that for a shops first title.

It's one of the requirements, Microsoft can/will fail your submission candidate if its not at that minimum resolution. Exceptions were made at launch time of course, but that's over. AA is also a requirement, but they might make exceptions on that for a shops first title.

Does'nt seem it, there has been serveral Activion games since then that have not been internally rendered at 720p. Theres also some other later released games that also dont render at 720p either but i cant remember what games they are :(

Link

Does'nt seem it, there has been serveral Activion games since then that have not been internally rendered at 720p. Theres also some other later released games that also dont render at 720p either but i cant remember what games they are :cry:

Link
This Eurogamer comparison confirms it for both 360 and PS3: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75856&page=2
Treyarch's 360 code does some very cunning things behind the scenes - rendering a 1040x620 framebuffer as opposed to the usual 1280x720, thus relying on the 360's ANA chip to make up the difference with a spot of bilinear scaling. As far as we know, the PS3's SDK isn't quite so flexible with resolutions - so in theory it should be running at native 720p, offering almost 30% more detail than the Xbox 360 game. The screenshot comparisons put paid to this theory - it seems that both games start off at the reduced resolution before being scaled upwards

Tony Hawks Project 8 was the other. It scales from 1040x584 with AA on 360, while this time the PS3 version does the full 720p without AA. Another game that shows signs of scaling is The Darkness for PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you thiunk they would mark it as "Work in Progress" if it wasn't real-time?

It looks fantastic, but frankly I expected more from this weather stuff - you know, tires at least could affect snow in some way - after Motorstorm I want to see more of this. :)

Didn't the E3 2005 Killzone trailer say "work in progress".

:p

Does'nt seem it, there has been serveral Activion games since then that have not been internally rendered at 720p. Theres also some other later released games that also dont render at 720p either but i cant remember what games they are :(

Hmm, interesting. We certainly couldn't render at that res, we were told we wouldn't pass. Looks like our company is subject to a different set of rules for some reason. That's kinda irritating.

if you could you would reach the 120 fps myth!

Nah 120fps is nothing special, barely noticable over 60fps. BF2/HL2 at 120fps or 60fps same thing. No QuakeIII @ 240fps is the real deal, and I feel the eye twitches and uncontrollable muscle twitches due to the high fps and flashing screen. :runaway:

Nah 120fps is nothing special, barely noticable over 60fps. BF2/HL2 at 120fps or 60fps same thing. No QuakeIII @ 240fps is the real deal, and I feel the eye twitches and uncontrollable muscle twitches due to the high fps and flashing screen. :runaway:

I was under the impression that there is not a single piece of hardware out, that can actually show 120fps? Im sure the difference between 120fps and 60fps is quite noticeable but since i have never actually been able to compare it i wouldn't know.

Rendering it is nothing special, i remember running Q3:A at 333fps.

Back