Mr. Bush's watch stolen!

I was hoping it was a James Bond laser+buzz saw+magnet watch.

As Timepiece One, I certainly hoped it had a big red nuclear button somewhere on it.

Anyways, I find it interesting to note the following:
- The population of a country that actually has undergone tyranny in recent memory likes Bush and is pro-America.
- Countries that haven't, call him a fascist warmonger
- This watch story is getting a lot of press, and the cynic in me wonders if the story is getting so much traction as a 'counter' to the 'Bush gets warm welcome in Albania' story.

Uhm, aren't these pretty shallow conclusions to come to?
  1. We only see such a small handful of people, so why are we to believe that "the population of a country" is represented?
  2. You bring up that Albania was a pretty tyrannical place to live - no doubt. But then conclude that they like Bush (see #1 above) and infer that Bush somehow represents "Freedom" to these folks.
  3. Countries that haven't undergone recent dictatorships and who have some people who have called him a Facist are what now? I didn't get your point here.
  4. You're cynical about the watch story because you think it counters the press about receiving a warm welcome in Albania? Is there a market for warm welcomes in Former Soviet Bloc countries?
Take away the watch angle. Would you really expect it to be plastered on the front page? Heck, I don't think the watch story is getting that much MSM press to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we all know why this story has legs (at least on the internet), and it has nothing to do with a leftist conspiracy on the part of the mainstream media.

This is an urban legend in the making.
It lasts because it portrays a man in power who is humbled by a humiliating and silly incident.
It makes people smirk because a man of great influence is supposedly undone by something tiny and trivial.

It helps that for a large percentage of people, Bush has an image closer to Gilligan than George Washington. He's seen as a fool or a moron by many, and this is just another example of him finding a way to embarass himself.

It's human psychology. If some lowly intern got his watch stolen, we wouldn't care.
If it happend to a previous president, it would still get reported and people would still be snickering about it.

We can debate whether other factors and associations with current events have made this thing last longer or shorter, but the core principle is the same.

It's the same thing as the (most likely photoshopped or momentary goofs) pictures of previous presidents who are shown to be looking through binoculars with the lens caps still on.

It's not too funny when it's some random person, but it's a classic that keeps getting sent around if it's the Commander in Chief.

Back