ATi 2900 XT 1GB DDR4 for pre-order...

ants

Newcomer
That might be a record for a retail OC.

I'm not sure the GDDR4 version of the HD 2900 should be thought of as an overclocked XT. I may be wrong, but I believe this is more akin to when the X1950 XTX was released after the X1900 XT. It's completely different memory with different timings compared to what is being used in the 2900 XT right now.

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/38332/?spage=5

shoes_r6001gb_3dmark06.jpg

For Radeon HD 2900XT it is very, very small differentness between 1GB vs. 512MB.

It is really does not worth extra $cash....
http://www.diamondmm.com/2900XT1GPE.php

A resolution of 1280x1024 is really not enough to distinguish if 1024mb > 512mb. 1GB of RAM is only gonna seriously come into play at >16x12 with 4xAA at least. Or 2560x1600. I wanna see comparisons at this res so I can decide which card to buy.

800 points difference is impressive enough given in that test the only difference would be the GDDR3 -> GDDR4. And anyone here understands that such benchmarks are useless when testing higher RAM cards and would ignore it as such.

We also have an existing thread on the 1Gb 2900XT.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=41898

Dang DiRT is pretty. I'll pick it up sometime next year when we have hardware that can actually run it :)

I'm not sure the GDDR4 version of the HD 2900 should be thought of as an overclocked XT. I may be wrong, but I believe this is more akin to when the X1950 XTX was released after the X1900 XT. It's completely different memory with different timings compared to what is being used in the 2900 XT right now.

Well originally, the R600 was touted(speculation anyway) to boast a 1GB GDDR4 memory (judging by their move on the X1950XTX), but apparently, the XT didnt have that.

Though from what i've read, the 1GB GDDR4 version was coming out later, after the XT arrives. "Later" would imply around this time or 1-2 more months I guess.

A resolution of 1280x1024 is really not enough to distinguish if 1024mb > 512mb. 1GB of RAM is only gonna seriously come into play at >16x12 with 4xAA at least. Or 2560x1600. I wanna see comparisons at this res so I can decide which card to buy.

shoes_r6001gb_coh.jpg

Well @ 1920X1200 resolution ----> Maximum settings.

Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB ave-FPS 42
Radeon HD 2900XT 1024MB ave-FPS 50

GeForce 8800GTX 768MB ave-FPS 80

Looks to me only 8 FPS made a differentness between 512MB vs. 1GB; it doesn't justify a price differentness extra for 1GB version of Radeon HD 2900XT.

GF8800GTX w/ 768MB is still faster. (I'm not defending Nvidia) I'm just loking at the results.

Actually, the Radeon 2900 XT shows 44 FPS so its only a 6 FPS leap to the 1Gig model at 1920x1200.

dirt makes a huge difference, their ultra shadows needs more then 512 mb of vram.

NWN2 is another title where using high-res shadowmaps bumps the vid-mem footprint beyond 512MB(in outdoor/city scenes, not everywhere). That being said, I don`t know how realistic a scenario is throwing higher and higher resolution shadow-maps into the mix...I think it`s more likely we'll start seeing more clever algorithms like VSM being employed, thus shifting the load elsewhere.

NWN2 is another title where using high-res shadowmaps bumps the vid-mem footprint beyond 512MB(in outdoor/city scenes, not everywhere). That being said, I don`t know how realistic a scenario is throwing higher and higher resolution shadow-maps into the mix...I think it`s more likely we'll start seeing more clever algorithms like VSM being employed, thus shifting the load elsewhere.

Yeah, at least Nvidia works well with dumb algorithms.

Dang DiRT is pretty. I'll pick it up sometime next year when we have hardware that can actually run it :)

I wouldn;t worry about it, the Ultra settings do kill performance but the game looks virtually identical at high and very similar at medium.

I run with most details at medium and a couple at high on my GTS and i runs fine (30+fps with occasional dips on some courses).

Yeah, at least Nvidia works well with dumb algorithms.

I truly fail to see the point, or the logic of your post. You`re the DX10 is evil guy, right?Ok, I`ll translate for you:my post wasn`t made in defence of ATI HW or something similar, it was simply meant to indicate a title behaving similarly, and to add my 2 cents WRT a certain approach to shadowing. That`s all. To make you happy, know that ATM, nV HW deals better with VSM as well(at least in AndyTXs demo).

Back