Interesting old quote by Jen-Sen Huan about nvidia MCPs integrating CPUs

Techno+

Regular
Hello,

While googling around I found this

“The third implementation of the MCP business is going to be SOCs; you are going see us integrating microprocessors and other types of things into MCPs. The MCP is going to change forms and become entire system-on-a-chip,” Mr. Huang said.

Recently there have been rumours of nvidia developing a CPU, and here is their CEO speaking up himself! But who knows, they might have changed their plans?

Discuss and plz note that this is the only place I found suitable for this. I know it is old but I wanted to show you what I found. thank you.

this reads like they're not planning x86 CPU for PC, maybe they have some simple and low power MIPS design.
They might get into SAN, external USB HDD with video playback, DVR, or a combination of all that, whatever. there's probably a home market waiting to grow for those things.

Or a general purpose CPU could wind up being a more efficient method of doing the increasing & increasingly varied tasks of a mobo chipset than designing custom transistors :?:

I don't want to go off topic, but can anyone outline what exactly MCPs do, i.e. the operations that go on inside them. What are they?, Analogue to digital and digital to analogue conversions, or is it more or less than this?

MCP = Nvidia name for north/southbridge, does all that I/O stuff & otherwise generally runs the mobo.

Or I'm thinking of completely the wrong bit of hardware :oops:

Maybe it should read, "microprocessors are going to integrate MCP". At least, I thought that's what Intel was going to start doing eventually.

Back