PS3 SDK leaked

Hezz

Newcomer
Don't see this information posted anywhere on this site. Mods please delete this thread if it is. But the PS3 SDK had been leaked according to sources at psu.com

The SDK on the dev kits? How is it useful?

I am not an expert in this field just a hardware nut passing some information. Don't have links most likely on the bit torrent sites.

There is a lot of speculation as to what can be learned from this. More on RSX, the scaler. How linux might access the RSX, etc. Small guys can build XMB games, etc.

The information I first saw on this is over here:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=76797

Well it is old since I posted it here, but since noone seemed to see it, I guess it could use its own thread. The use of such a thing would be mainly for piracy. It can help hackers understand how security of the system works and thus defeat it. Since it's illegal to download the files I think providing a link would be a very bad idea.

ps3news.com just reported that XMB hole has been found, and that pirated BD diskc can be played...
That didnt take much time...

[edit]

Correction, games are bootable, not playable.

Last edited by a moderator:
As XMB's a bios thing, it can be patched readily enough a la PSP, only presumably with more security so progress is only made with SDK leaks.

Ignoring the piracy issue, is there any hardware insight from this? Do we know for sure what the 'scaler' solution is? Does it work? Any info on RSX details that a certain somebody was crying out for? ;)

Just a word of caution:
Don't post any links to Warez, etc.. Discussing the contents of the SDK is fine, though.

EDit: bold

As XMB's a bios thing, it can be patched readily enough a la PSP, only presumably with more security so progress is only made with SDK leaks.

Ignoring the piracy issue, is there any hardware insight from this? Do we know for sure what the 'scaler' solution is? Does it work? Any info on RSX details that a certain somebody was crying out for? ;)

I dont know. Why dont one of you smart guys download it and tell us the cool info in there (in a non-specific way) :)

I poked around a little bit and honestly couldn't find it. Not that I could probably make heads or tails of it if I could..

I dont know. Why dont one of you smart guys download it and tell us the cool info in there (in a non-specific way) :)

I poked around a little bit and honestly couldn't find it. Not that I could probably make heads or tails of it if I could..

Well it is ilegal and Sony may want to get a hold of the users that downloaded. IF anything then +3 proxies FTW, lol. No really I think in time some info will be revealed! :smile:

Well it is ilegal and Sony may want to get a hold of the users that downloaded. IF anything then +3 proxies FTW, lol. No really I think in time some info will be revealed! :smile:

Oh come on. We live in age where piracy is flaunted...

I remember some movie torrent site made this big "Oscartorrents.com" or similar website, where you could download all the movies up for an Oscar this past fall. Just thumbing the nose at the MPAA.

I have a really hard time thinking Sony is going to do anything..

It's probably simply on more choice channels such as newsgroups at this time. I haven't used newsgroups in ages so I wouldn't know.

The answers to these long debated questions are so close... I can almost touch them

Code:
C:\cell\samples\graphics\SpecialFeatures\1080pUpscaling
1080p_upscaling.vcproj                                                                       5,687  03/21/2007  10:39pm  A   
main.cpp                                                                                     6,593  03/21/2007  10:40pm  A   
Makefile                                                                                       476  03/21/2007  10:39pm  A   
readme_e.txt                                                                                   589  03/21/2007  10:40pm  A   
readme_j.txt

Also of note is that the SPURS library is in here. Suggesting that this SDK is actually fairly recent.

Other areas of peak interest thus far: Cell_HW_Doc-xxx.zip and iRSX-HW_Doc-xxx.zip (hardware documentation packages)

This one should have a big watermark acrosss every page telling the source of the leak ...:)

ps3news.com just reported that XMB hole has been found, and that pirated BD diskc can be played...
That didnt take much time...

[edit]

Correction, games are bootable, not playable.

What do you mean, bootable not playable?

This isn't going to lead to any amazing firmware hacks which allow pirating. It's incredibly hard to pirate BluRay discs (i.e., duplicate - not rip) because of the ROMark technology which only a few companies possess (think PS2's bad sector patterns). Similarly, this is only the developer kit and doesn't include the signature keys to sign the executable code. I imagine SCE keep those very close to their chest, hence the QA vetting. Likewise I doubt this SDK contains the firmware software and signature generator to get the PS3 to load it.

All it really offers is a information on how RSX works, and how it might be enabled in/by Linux, we already have a widely avaliable Cell SDK from IBM.

All it really offers is a information on how RSX works, and how it might be enabled in/by Linux, we already have a widely avaliable Cell SDK from IBM.

You're right ,this leak is not a big deal ,really.
256 bit encrytion key isn't there (of course) to sign software ,and lvl1 OS(hypervisor ) is not exposed to devs.
The sun would have long died by the time Brute force on the key would test more than 1/100000 of the possibilities...

Back