Remastered MGS4 trailer

That's called contrast.

Some of you guys are on glue. It's not a new trailer, Konami said so themselves.

Konami PR's can say what they want. Trailer is changed, much changed in some parts.

old/new
sparks1a.jpg

sparks1.jpg

old/new
debris1.jpg

debris.jpg

old/new
debris2a.jpg

debris2.jpg

Obviously there are are certain parts of it that have been changed, but the much more prevalent change is the performance. Meanwhile, they have been making many artistic adjustments as well (some of that quite possibly to cover over performance bottlenecks in the previous trailer), and overall the product is looking better. Not ZOMG IT'S ALL NEW! better, but still better.

I rather think that whoever was contacted at Konami does not consider this a new trailer because the scenes were not adjusted and they didn't make any major changes. This is a far cry from them saying straightforward that they made no changes whatsoever. Most people would consider it the same trailer, with refinements.

Some differences are plainly evident, though obviously some reactions to them are overblown. Anyone can watch both, and make of it what they will.

That's called contrast.

Some of you guys are on glue. It's not a new trailer, Konami said so themselves.

You probably didn't wait for the pictures to load past the first one. Please take a closer look at the comparison pics and the animated GIF.

Obviously there are are certain parts of it that have been changed, but the much more prevalent change is the performance. Meanwhile, they have been making many artistic adjustments as well (some of that quite possibly to cover over performance bottlenecks in the previous trailer), and overall the product is looking better. Not ZOMG IT'S ALL NEW! better, but still better.

I rather think that whoever was contacted at Konami does not consider this a new trailer because the scenes were not adjusted and they didn't make any major changes. This is a far cry from them saying straightforward that they made no changes whatsoever. Most people would consider it the same trailer, with refinements.

Some differences are plainly evident, though obviously some reactions to them are overblown. Anyone can watch both, and make of it what they will.

I think the performance improvement is nice, but the QUALITY of the imagery has improved leaps. Great motion blur, particle effects, nicer texturing, lighting improvements, it all comes together quite nicely. This looks good now. Before I thought it was kindof ugly in certain parts.

On a related aside: I'm so happy they toned down the green/brown atmospheric fog. God that was gross.

i have not seen the "old" trailer, but judging by the screens posted, is it just me, or does the "old" one look better? the brightness in the "new" trailer seems to be cranked too high making it look less saturated and washing out the blacks. you can definitely tell the brightness is higher in the "new" trailer as you can see more detail in Snake's suit.

...by leaps? Sorry, can't see it. Some stylistic adjustments, some lighting tweaks, some effects additions, the occasional model change... Not all adjustments were for the better either, IMHO. (Like the lighting on Meryl and Liquid in their mini-scenes.)

Certainly you can pull some screengrabs to highlight specific scenes, but when taken as a sum total, there is barely any difference other than framerate. It's hard enough to tell side-by-side, and if you played them one after another...? I doubt one in twenty could accurately say which is which and WHY.

If you put the remastered one at the old frame performance and made the old one smoother, most people would then reverse them.

If you put the remastered one at the old frame performance and made the old one smoother, most people would then reverse them.

Most people? Or you

And cthellis, that's why opinions are great. I can see a huge difference, but then maybe I focus on details that you miss, and put more value on the differences that are there. You probably are just not very detail oriented. To my eyes, the new video is significantly prettier, and the biggest change is that the cinematic is cohesive and feels like a movie. The old one didn't suck you in as much. Something was a little off. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope this comes out to the 360 too, I can wait 6 months after the PS3 version if I have to! :)

I'm sure both versions will be awesome...

I think there's a possibility that the engine hasn't changed much, but that the trailer has been run again with different settings and effects enabled. Perhaps also running more efficient which would give the framerate boost...

Konami already once showed how flexible their engine is and how easily one can change the setting, brightness, lighting in real time on their engine.

...by leaps? Sorry, can't see it. Some stylistic adjustments, some lighting tweaks, some effects additions, the occasional model change... Not all adjustments were for the better either, IMHO. (Like the lighting on Meryl and Liquid in their mini-scenes.)

Certainly you can pull some screengrabs to highlight specific scenes, but when taken as a sum total, there is barely any difference other than framerate. It's hard enough to tell side-by-side, and if you played them one after another...? I doubt one in twenty could accurately say which is which and WHY.

I have to fully agree with you.

Most people? Or you

And cthellis, that's why opinions are great. I can see a huge difference, but then maybe I focus on details that you miss, and put more value on the differences that are there. You probably are just not very detail oriented. To my eyes, the new video is significantly prettier, and the biggest change is that the cinematic is cohesive and feels like a movie. The old one didn't suck you in as much. Something was a little off. :D

I think you are a bit off. It may be that the brighter color makes the dark areas show more detail. Also that some scenes seem to have less depth of field and therefore no blurry background compared to old video with DoF. But the reverse is also true becouse the new video is of low quality and the bluriness covers detail that is seen in the older video.

See here for example how the old ones show more detail on the textures. (old/new in order).
debris1.jpg

debris.jpg

(old/new in order)
debris2a.jpg

debris2.jpg

And here you see the old one has depth of field and the new doesn't and thus the texture detail is seen better. Although texture detail may still be the same behind the DoF.
comp3oa2.png

i have not seen the "old" trailer, but judging by the screens posted, is it just me, or does the "old" one look better? the brightness in the "new" trailer seems to be cranked too high making it look less saturated and washing out the blacks. you can definitely tell the brightness is higher in the "new" trailer as you can see more detail in Snake's suit.

I think also that the older trailer has better colors wilst the new one has washed out colors. Really it looks like when the brightness/contrast is upped to much or due to the compression of the video. Although some of the old ss have a bit to much color or should I say to intense (sky)! : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people? Or you
I'm confident in the "most people" comment, even though I'm not among them. The changes look highlighted in a number of the stills people have used, but run side by side there's not a huge amount to grab onto for the full duration other than framerate (the other very noticable improvements are "split second" explosion effects and sparks), and run one at a time with any kind of time delay between them? If they don't already know what they're looking for, not much is going to stick with them.

Feel free to develop a proper "taste test" with them if you want, but this isn't really a molehill worth fixating over. ;) (Plus, it's hard to get people to properly test samples that are 15 minutes long... :p )

I think you are a bit off. It may be that the brighter color makes the dark areas show more detail. Also that some scenes seem to have less depth of field and therefore no blurry background compared to old video with DoF. But the reverse is also true becouse the new video is of low quality and the bluriness covers detail that is seen in the older video.

See here for example how the old ones show more detail on the textures. (old/new in order).

And here you see the old one has depth of field and the new doesn't and thus the texture detail is seen better. Although texture detail may still be the same behind the DoF.

I think also that the older trailer has better colors wilst the new one has washed out colors. Really it looks like when the brightness/contrast is upped to much or due to the compression of the video. Although some of the old ss have a bit to much color or should I say to intense (sky)! : )

It has nothing to do with DOF but I could see how u would think so. No, the texture comment was with reference to some of the characters in the trailer. Trust me, I wouldn't mistake DOF for blurry textures. Anyways were beating a dead horse. We've all seen the difference and right now were just being pedantic about the changes.

It has nothing to do with DOF but I could see how u would think so. No, the texture comment was with reference to some of the characters in the trailer. Trust me, I wouldn't mistake DOF for blurry textures. Anyways were beating a dead horse. We've all seen the difference and right now were just being pedantic about the changes.

Yeah, it still looks like a PS3 game.

I played most of MGS2 and some of MGS3. I remember having a HUD, sneaking around and shooting people. I have no idea what the gameplay is like for MGS4, have they ever shown any? If I want a bad plot with sub-titles then I will rent a movie ;)

well you are familiar with the "soap opera"tish feel of the series already then :p

It's called shadow detail, and high dynamic range (lighting). Basically, if you look at the trailer, there ARE still blacks that are just as dark as in the original trailer. What they did was improve the amount of shadow detail and the range of shadows and blacks. Now, black is not simply BLACK, rather, it has a gradient level of darkness, so that the shadows and lighting are much more dynamic.

I think the biggest difference is that the range of lighting is far greater now, so there isn't just extreme white, everything, and then extremely crushed blacks.

I prefer this, it's much more impressive, both visually and technically.

Back