• uncharted

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • mass effect

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.

I voted GTA4 and just realized something ... GTA sales were on the back of a dominant ps2 and a fairly well established xbox.

By the end of the year ps3 sales will still be fairly low with xb360 leading by more than double. A few years from now that may change.

xb360 fanbase may surprise and buy H3 in equal numbers to GTA4, which would tip the scales to gta4 after adding ps3 sales. But I don't see it. GTA4 should be a great game, but the market has already been tapped a bit with Crackdown and Saints Row.

...after further review:

HALO3

if you are saying halo 3 > gta4 because gta is mainly bought by ps owners how do you know whether some people bought 360s for halo 3 or GTA IV??? especially when there is something that is exclusive to 360, you don't know. ;)

Ugh.

I voted GTA4 and just realized something ... GTA sales were on the back of a dominant ps2 and a fairly well established xbox.

By the end of the year ps3 sales will still be fairly low with xb360 leading by more than double. A few years from now that may change.

xb360 fanbase may surprise and buy H3 in equal numbers to GTA4, which would tip the scales to gta4 after adding ps3 sales. But I don't see it. GTA4 should be a great game, but the market has already been tapped a bit with Crackdown and Saints Row.

...after further review:

HALO3

What does that have to do with anything?

You think those wannabe GTA-a-likes will satisfy any GTA-lover enough to prevent him from buying GTAIV?

Just think about that for a moment..

(PS: I own both Saint's Row and Crackdown and SR only buttered to base ready for GTA whilst Crackdown was a whole other experience altogether.. More akin to Spiderman 2 than GTA..)

FACT: Halo 3 still has a good couple of months left for pre-orders to start piling up..

FACT: MS's marketing machine hasn't even begun its Halo 3 pre-release campaign yet (the Beta is doing just enough marketing as it is, not to mention introducing alot of new-to-Halo gamers to some of the strengths/pulling power of the franchise; gameplay and multiplayer..)

FACT: Nobdy in their right mind would attempt to launch a "legendary edition" SKU of their game with a whopping price tag of $100+ unless they absolutely knew their game would sell like a Farrari-at-$50..

IMO I would say that 5 million pre-orders of a game that nobody has so far even seen a single screenshot or video of what it's "actually" going to look like is a bloody good indicator that it's going to trounce the market like nothing on earth sales-wise..
The problem is that 5 million preorders is not a FACT. The only fact we know about Halo 3 preorders is that there have been over 450 thousand Legendary Edition copies preordered (Frank O'Connor gave that number about a month ago).
5M preorders is impossible. Halo 2 sold 8-9M copies and I doubt ove half of Halo 2 buyers have already preordered H3, because most gamers don'r preorder games anyway.

The problem is that 5 million preorders is not a FACT. The only fact we know about Halo 3 preorders is that there have been over 450 thousand Legendary Edition copies preordered (Frank O'Connor gave that number about a month ago).
5M preorders is impossible. Halo 2 sold 8-9M copies and I doubt ove half of Halo 2 buyers have already preordered H3, because most gamers don'r preorder games anyway.

I never stated that was a fact.. I did assume it was but unfortunately I was mistaken.. The rest of my points still stand however..

if you are saying halo 3 > gta4 because gta is mainly bought by ps owners how do you know whether some people bought 360s for halo 3 or GTA IV??? especially when there is something that is exclusive to 360, you don't know. ;)

Indeed, I don't...just a hunch ;)

Neither way would surprise me, but I'm currently leaning toward Halo3.

What does that have to do with anything?

You think those wannabe GTA-a-likes will satisfy any GTA-lover enough to prevent him from buying GTAIV?

Just think about that for a moment..

(PS: I own both Saint's Row and Crackdown and SR only buttered to base ready for GTA whilst Crackdown was a whole other experience altogether.. More akin to Spiderman 2 than GTA..)

True.

And outside of the US, I'm not sure how well Halo sells.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see people pick up an xb360core (<$300) just to play GTA4 (cheaper).

Well given that the XB360 does have and will probably still have during some time the bigest base and that H3 is a very good seler within XB owners I guess it will be H3 but SSBB and GTA4 may get close too.

I picked madden just because it's going to be on every system, probably even cell phones, and will probably be one of the bigger sellers on the PS2 this fall

I think Madden 07 sell over 5 million copies before the end of last year, but there are more good games coming out this fall so that may change

I never stated that was a fact.. I did assume it was but unfortunately I was mistaken.. The rest of my points still stand however..

You're right, and even 450k preordered legendary packs is a smashing success too. Halo 3 has potential for enormous sales, but we have yet to see how final game turns out. They might sell 3 million copies first week, but from then on it'll all depend on game's quality. Multiplayer definitely needs improved image quality, as for single player if it'll look like the E3 trailer and will play better than previous Halos, then the game should have good word of mouth -> amazing sales throught Fall and Holiday season. But if Halo 3 fells short on quality, then I doubt it'll have long tail.

I'm surprised you don't see potential in Mario Galaxy. New Super Mario Bros. on NDS sold 12-14M copies, so Mario Galaxy has probably the best brand recognition, probably will use Wii's features in interesting ways and we'll have colourful and beautiful graphics.

...Mario Galaxy has probably the best brand recognition, probably will use Wii's features in interesting ways and we'll have colourful and beautiful graphics.

I hope there's some good old Miyamoto magic in there, 'cause Sunshine didn't do much for me...

On top of that it will be interesting to see if the Wii Sports 'casual gamers' care a lot.

Didn't you guys hear..?

MS have a Fall "update" coming that bricks Xbox360s which haven't ran Halo 3 by Dec 31 2007..

:cry: :cry:

The "great epidemic of gaming" will force a 88% attach rate for the title over the entire install base (with the remaining 12% being those that couldn't get their copy in time..)

The Wii is bought by a lot of people who don't care about Mario or any other type of traditional game as we saw with Zelda sales. It's between GTA4 and Halo 3 and I voted for GTA4.

The Wii is bought by a lot of people who don't care about Mario or any other type of traditional game as we saw with Zelda sales. It's between GTA4 and Halo 3 and I voted for GTA4.

I disagree. Mario is much more well known than Zelda and its gameplay is considered by many to be much easier to pick up. Zelda games have always been relatively hardcore where as Mario has not. Someone stated above the sales of the new Mario game on DS, I knew they were good but not 12M+ good. I think I'll rearrange my list and say Halo 3 -> Mario Galaxy -> SSBB -> GTAIV. That's right, GTAIV in last place. I just don't see it having the draw as the others, not this early in the game with the systems its coming for not having "that" good of sales.

Nothing in 2007 is gonna beat Halo in sales. Nothing. Over teh lifetime of the title I would hope that GTAIV would beat it as its multiplatform...

I disagree. Mario is much more well known than Zelda and its gameplay is considered by many to be much easier to pick up. Zelda games have always been relatively hardcore where as Mario has not. Someone stated above the sales of the new Mario game on DS, I knew they were good but not 12M+ good. I think I'll rearrange my list and say Halo 3 -> Mario Galaxy -> SSBB -> GTAIV. That's right, GTAIV in last place. I just don't see it having the draw as the others, not this early in the game with the systems its coming for not having "that" good of sales.

I guess Paper Mario should be a good indicator then, it is Mario. If the Wii is getting bought by old people playing Wii Sports, they will have little interest in anything Mario IMO. The Wii also has a small installed base compared to the DS.

Edit: Paper Mario sold 1.01m with good reviews so far. Why would Galaxy sell 5x that, I'm not a Mario guys whats the difference?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=4448

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Halo doing all that much better than Gears. Maybe double that at best. Meanwhile, the Wii will have by far the largest installbase at the end of this year, and I predict an even higher percentage of Wii owners will buy Mario Galaxy than the percentage of 360 owners that will buy Halo 3.

So I voted for Nintendo.

After all this honest analysis though, I need to make myself feel better by noting in this post that the Playstation 3 is getting the best games in the second half of this year by far.*

so you think Halo will sell between 7 and 8 million units then? if it's double gears... ;)

If Halo3 single player is good and the game reviews favor it, the hype will be out of this world and thus I expect that sales to be through the roof. Halo3 will depends on reviews.

I disagree. Mario is much more well known than Zelda and its gameplay is considered by many to be much easier to pick up. Zelda games have always been relatively hardcore where as Mario has not.
I think he meant Zelda did not sell that good.
Someone stated above the sales of the new Mario game on DS, I knew they were good but not 12M+ good.
I'm sorry, just checked on wikipedia and New Super Mario Bros. sold 9.5M copies as of April 26. I confused its sales with Nintendogs. :oops: It stillputs it in the same league though and it's hard to ignore its potetnial.

GTA4. It has the largest install base and in recent history has outsold the other games mentioned.

I say a sleeper might be Zelda DS and Pokemon DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back